| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dear San Francisco,
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What if I move to you?

I was expecting to find a million "I'M MOVING TO SAN FRANCISCO WHAT IS IT LIKE TELL ME ABOUT NEIGHBORHOODS I DON'T HAVE A JOB IS THAT OK" type posts but I surprisingly didn't see many, so I'm making my own.

So say hypothetically if I move to San Francisco in let's say 2-4 weeks from now...I need advice on apartments, like where is more affordable but still walkable (I know no apartments are actually affordable, but you know, I don't want the least affordable ones), and I want to know if anyone knows of jobs for people with experience in nonprofits/volunteer coordination/politics/communications/working with youth (it's ok if I don't find a job for a while, though, and I would really take anything, I think my dream is to bus tables or something but I'm probably unqualified), and also if you will be my friend and where the best vegan gluten-free baked goods are.

Post subject: Re: Dear San Francisco,
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Affordable(ish) + San Francisco + walkable = East Bay.

I have no advice on jobs, but good luck! The Bay Area is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I pay so much for rent I really have no idea what is reasonable or affordable. Are you open to roommates? The Inner Sunset is nice, walkable to some other nice neighborhoods, and right on a central MUNI line. Though... I think rents may have gone up since I was last apartment hunting.

You can find Sugar Plum baked goods at Rainbow! A lot of them are gluten free. I think Wholesome Bakery has a lot of gluten free options as well, though the location is kind of obnoxious. I often forget SF even has a vegan bakery.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

I don't know what affordable means to you but where I lived (a beautiful house in the Inner Richmond with one amazing roommate and a couple of cat-roommates) is available. PM me if you are interested! It wasn't cheap, but it was gorgeous and I would move back there in a second if the opportunity presented itself. I loved the neighbourhood--super easy to bike or bus anywhere but it is quiet and removed from the chaos. One block from Golden Gate Park.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I live kind of at the border of the Sunset and Ingleside and my place is really expensive and super tiny. Public transportation is semi-convienient. I love San Francisco and I grew up in the East Bay and loved it there too. So I would recommend looking for places in East Bay as well!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My girlfriend and I (and my cat) were hoping to share a studio, and we have a friend in SF who pays $1100 for her studio, so we were hoping to find something like that, but after some Craigslist research, it seems like that price is pretty unusual. We're definitely open to sharing a room in a house too. An ideal situation would be a furnished sublet, since we're only going to be there for four months, but that is probably too much to ask.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

strawberryrock wrote:
My girlfriend and I (and my cat) were hoping to share a studio, and we have a friend in SF who pays $1100 for her studio, so we were hoping to find something like that, but after some Craigslist research, it seems like that price is pretty unusual. We're definitely open to sharing a room in a house too. An ideal situation would be a furnished sublet, since we're only going to be there for four months, but that is probably too much to ask.

That is exactly what I lived in. Furnished, big, beautiful house in the Inner Richmond. $1000 (though she would probably charge a bit more for a couple). Best roommate ever. Gorgeous kitchen (but she is not vegan/vegetarian). Two cats. PM me if you want me to put you in contact! She likes to rent short-term. She doesn't advertise on craigslist, but rather seeks out good people or finds friends of friends because it is such a good deal and she wants to live with nice people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:12 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

If you're open to sharing, you can find some room-mate situations that are not bad. SF rent is INSANE, but there are also pretty good laws that prevent rent increases on old buildings, so if you look, you can find people who have been "anchoring" apartments for years and years, and the rent is not bad.

SF's walkable neighborhoods are generally the most expensive (unless you're okay living in the Tenderloin - in that case, you might score), but many areas of the city are really bike accessible. You could check out Bernal Heights or the outer mission or the inner sunset for places that would put you in nice neighborhoody places that are not too terribly far away from public transport hubs/are bikeable.

As far as $1100 for a studio, I don't think that's too crazy. Mike and I have a pretty great little studio for $1200...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Can anyone tell me much about Excelsior?

It doesn't seem like the most fabulous neighborhood or anything, but there's a super cheap place that's close to a Safeway and some Mexican markets and a bus line that can get to the BART in about 10 minutes so that sounds pretty good to me. Should I be wary?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Well... it's super quiet/suburban feeling and always foggy. Honestly, kind of sad feeling. I wouldn't live there unless I was walking distance from BART. I would look at living in the East Bay over the Excelsior.

Andddd I was robbed at gunpoint when I lived there, so maybe I'm biased.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hmm. I definitely don't want to get robbed at gunpoint. The East Bay is pretty far from where my girlfriend will be working and from where I might have a job though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yeah that's tough. It makes no sense to live in the east bay if you won't be working near a BART station. I just realllllyyy hated living there, even before I was mugged. Everyone just kind of ignores each other and it's always cold!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:15 pm 
Chip Strong

I live in a studio in Nob Hill for around the same as your friend, maybe you could look here? It's harder to find, but the area is really nice and close to everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I used to live near excelsior and I had my bike stolen and my house broken into. But I wouldn't blame that entirely on the area. That could happen anywhere I think. The main reason I dislike that area (and the area I live in now) is because it's always foggy and you are out in the middle of nowhere. I feel like I'm not even living in the city sometimes because it still takes me at least 40 minutes to get anywhere via muni or bart.

At the risk of sounding like a hipster I think it would be fun to live in the mission.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well I'm not moving to San Francisco after all, but thanks for all of your help! I actually got offered a job there but logistically it became too complicated and I turned it down...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

Oh, well that's okay! I'm sorry I never heard back from my former roommie. I'm really worried about her.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]