| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotel suggestions - SF and north ?
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:52 am 
WRETCHED

I figured I should break this out of the Stanford Inn thread and I'm a planner so I want to make sure I get things booked. And I know this can be difficult because knowing hotels of places where you live isn't easy :)

We will be staying at the Stanford Inn for a few days in November.

We will stay in San Francisco for a few days so I need any hotels or general area. I could do AirBnB but wanted to see what other options exist.

Then north, based on recommendations, I would like to know if you guys have any recommendations for Sebastopol or Guerneville?

Post subject: Re: Hotel suggestions - SF and north ?
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:57 am 
Nailed to the V

When I've stayed in Sebastopol, I've Air BnB'ed. And any friends that come to SF I recommend the same. It is so much cheaper and being able to stay in residential 'hoods instead of Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square is so nice. The Metro Hotel is in a great location in the Lower Haight but I've had friends stay there that said it was very loud with super thin walls. So be weary if that ends up on your list.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:16 am 
WRETCHED

If I look at that, what neighborhoods would be good to stay in for AirBnB?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:49 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I personally am very hesitant to recommend AirBnB here in San Francisco, simply because I've personally witnessed the negative effects it can have in this area. It's provided significant motivation to landlords to evict long-term tenants in a cut-throat housing market, and the company itself has been hostile and aggressive with local government and communities rather than cooperative and open (I refer you to their massively pouty and resentful ad campaign after being forced to pay their fair share of occupancy taxes).

I know it's a tough decision because SF isn't cheap, and I know that when I'm traveling, I feel more comfortable in a 'home' environment than in a sterile 'hotel room' one. I'm not super invested in your decision- I just want to put in my two cents.

As far as further north, there are tons and tons of sweet little inns, vintage motels, hippy retreats and whatnot along the Russian River, both in Guerneville and a few minutes down the road (walkable, even) in Monte Rio. I would have no qualms about using AirBnb up here, too- it's not as competitive a housing market and many of the homes have always been secondary/vacation homes anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:45 pm 
WRETCHED

I totally get it and I had some initial hesitation due to that but I didn't know much about it. We really don't care much about where we stay, I don't plan to cook on vacation and anything we do make (sandwiches or not) can easily be made without one. I do like to be able to walk around, especially being near a grocery store where we can pick up some prepared foods or (relatively) cheap but not greasy takeout would be nice.

I forgot to say that we really don't drink much so bars aren't important to us. We like walking, both neighborhood and nature. We like museums and what not but really depends.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:23 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Well, in terms of neighborhood, I would try to stay somewhere near a BART or Muni Metro station. San Francisco is a great place for walking and exploring, and you'll be doing plenty of that, no doubt- but if you're near a transit station your options and flexibility, especially on a trip of only a couple days, will increase exponentially.

Most hotels are near the Powell St (touristy- think the Times Square of SF) or Civic Center (Government, Art, and Crackheads) stations. Of course the Mission is the hot neighborhood of the moment, so either 16th or 24th street stations would be good places to stay near, too (I prefer 24th, there's still a bit of the 'old' Mission left there). Alternately, SoMa (South of Market) is a great up-and-coming area that can be walkable to any of the BART stops on Market Street (eta: I pass by this place quite often and although I have no personal experiences to refer you to, it's super cute, eco-friendly, reasonable rates, and from my point of view is a really good location).

Alternately there are Muni light rail stations in the Castro, Cole Valley, Inner Sunset, and Dogpatch/Mission Bay, and those are all really great neighborhoods to enjoy or explore.

A lot of info, I know. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have always wanted to stay at this place in the presidio but it's booked every time I check the website! It looks so pretty and I'm a sucker for historical sites. It's very pricey, fair warning. There are a few weekends already booked up in Nov but maybe not for the days you'll be in town?

http://www.innatthepresidio.com

The presidio is pretty far from stuff but uber is very reasonable and there are cars everywhere so I wouldn't let location limit you too much.

I've stayed at Hotel Vitale (by the embarcadero). It's pleasant, modern, and has some nice outdoor terraces that give you a good view at night. There's a high end convenience store with lots of vegan foods and a hot bar and salad bar a few blocks away. In general I think embarcadero is a pretty decent place to stay as a tourist. You're right by the awesome Sat. farmers market, close to Bart, and it's not in the heart of all the tourism mania. I go to my husbands office around there most weekends and it's pretty quiet and friendly. There are a lot of good vegan friendly places to eat nearby in the surrounding area (many in the financial district are closed on weekends though). Maybe it's a bit boring, I dunno. The mission is where all the action seems to be but the people I know who live there complain that there are drunk bros shouting on the street at night after the bars close, which I'm just not into dealing with.

No matter where you stay don't forget all the delivery options you have like ├╝ber eats or one of the myriad delivery services (eat24, grub hub, door dash, etc.). When I am in the office around there we can get a lot of the popular vegan-friendly restaurants to deliver to us. I'm specifically thinking of Rosamunde and Oasis grill.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I forgot. Ages ago when I was still living in SD, I stayed at the marina motel and thought it was pretty cute. It's more centrally located but is not chaotic like union square.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:42 am 
WRETCHED

The Good Hotel looks really interesting. Definitely something to consider.

I am guessing "The Mission" is near the SF mission? We aren't really a fan of rowdy so that'd be good to know.

I should also say I'm a sucker for Spanish architecture and I do enjoy visiting the missions. I've visited most, if not all in So Cal and a few others.

The Presidio looks interesting but yeah isn't showing any dates for November (seems odd? maybe something going on). I like the trails that it has and what not but normally, we tend not to stay in fancy places (Stanford inn being vast exception).

We also kind of like quiet and boring :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah I actually had to look up if there was still a mission there! And there is (Mission Dolores)! I've never been though, it looks like most of the cool outbuildings are long gone.

I actually don't spend much time in the mission except for the occasional show and to go eat, so I can't really speak to what there is to do there. I just know there are a lot of bars and hipsters and the people who love (to hate) them.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Yeah, 'The Mission' is a catch-all term for the neighborhood roughly anchored by Mission Dolores on 16th & Dolores and stretching down to Cesar Chavez (formerly Army), around where Bernal Heights (or the "outer Mission") starts. It does have a reputation because it is the most visibly and rapidly gentrified neighborhood of SF- that said, there are still a lot of great things that have so far escaped gentrification, and even some good things, like Alamo Drafthouse and Curry Up Now, to come out of gentrification. It's a great location- close to many Muni lines as well as BART, and walkable to many other neighborhoods (including downtown). It's also usually the warmest weather in SF (which, with its microclimates, is saying a lot). If you found a spot that wasn't directly on Valencia or Mission (the two main drags) or the blocks immediately between the two, I have no reason to think it wouldn't be reasonably quiet.

The Presidio is lovely but is simply too remote if you're using it as a base to explore the city. It's got beautiful scenery and cheap rent and even that doesn't draw tons of crowds simply because it's isolated and there aren't really many services or businesses beyond housing (it's former military housing). In my opinion, the Marina is also similarly isolated. It's in a lively neighborhood and there are Muni lines, but being up in the northwestern part of the city, it doesn't connect to a lot of other stuff. It's also a little rich for my blood- personally speaking, I would feel more relaxed in a less posh neighborhood!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:02 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

My dad almost always stays at the Golden Gate Inn on Bush Street when he visits me--it's just off Union Square, so super easy to transit and very walkable, but far enough away from the crazy that it isn't too loud or bonkers or whatever.

They have a resident cat who will visit you in your room if you leave the window open (he gets around by fire escape) and they serve afternoon tea for any who wish it. Sometimes they bring their dog to visit.

It's a super cute little family owned place, and one of the coolest things is that all of the hallway walls are just COVERED in historic photographs. The hotel itself is a destination worth seeing.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:40 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Good to know! I will keep the GGInn in mind for any future out-of-towners, it sounds like a cool place!