| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Way down in SoCal... the Vegan Disney Thread!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Well, I know SoCal is far, far from the Bay Area, but there's no SoCal forum, so I figured I'd try here and see what happened.

I'm going to Disneyland this coming weekend with my friends (I have never been to a Disney anything in my entire life! In my late 20s, and I am finally popping my Disney cherry!). I'm guessing there won't be much for me there, and honestly, I kind of prefer the idea of toting along some snacks in my bag instead of being tempted to spend a squillion dollars on over-priced crepe. Just in case there's something I really need to experience, though, I have to ask...

Does anyone know of vegan snackings at Disney? Is there anywhere nearby that's vegan friendly that I should encourage everyone to try going for dinner?

They are making me jealous with all their talk of churros. Jerks!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post subject: Re: Way down in SoCal... the Vegan Disney Thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:35 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I did a LOT of online research before the last time I went down to Disneyland...ended up bringing most of my own food into the park, but I felt a lot better about at least knowing what my options were. Lucky for you, I still have the list on my phone! Note - I haven't personally verified vegan-ness of anything, so depending on how strict you're feeling you may want to ask. Even the quick service counter places should have ingredients lists. The good news is that Disneyland is WAY more vegan friendly than they were even a few years ago.

- If you're going to go to any sit down restaurant, the chef will prepare you a special meal if you call ahead and let them know. Some sit down menus already have dishes that are vegan or can be modified. These restaurants are pricier, obviously, but it's real food cooked by a real chef.
- There are many stands around the parks with fresh fruit, dill pickles, and those little Sabra hummus/pretzel cups.
- Most ice cream stands have Dreyer's strawberry fruit bars, which are mostly fruit and sugar.
- Any Mexican joint should have veggie or bean tacos or burritos (Rancho del Zocalo in DL, Cocina Cucamonga in CA Adventure)
- Royal Street Veranda by the haunted mansion in DL has veggie gumbo in a bread bowl
- A lot of places have veggie burgers. I'm pretty sure the patties are vegan, but the bread is questionable, so ask...
- The Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main St in DL is the ONLY place in both parks with soy for coffee. A little ridiculous, yes...
- I've read that the soft pretzels and popcorn at snack stands are vegan. I had some popcorn last time and it tasted buttery, but I think it's fake butter flavor from oils and whatnot.
- Pacific Wharf Cafe in CA Adventure has veggie chili in a bread bowl.
- Lucky Fortune Cookie in CA Adventure has an Asian rice bowl with tofu. There's a choice of sauces and I think only two are vegan, so ask.
- Paradise Garden Grill in CA Adventure has Mediterranean vegetable & tofu skewers
- Award Weiners in CA Adventure has a portobello Philly sandwich (ask for no cheese, check bread ingredients)

And mostly importantly, CA Adventure has beer, and Disneyland does not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 pm 

Amazing! You are a magnificent human being! Thank you!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:31 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

If the popcorn is the same as at WDW in Orlando, it is vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I used to go to Chapman, which is about a 15 minute drive from Disneyland, so let's just say it was one of my fave college hangouts when I had a year pass.
Personally, the only time I was willing to pay for vegan food at Disney prices was the heavenly gumbo in a massive sourdough bread bowel. It's the best gumbo I've ever had and worth the exorbitant price tag. Honestly you'll be able to find some sort of vegan option almost anywhere in the park, albeit overpriced and uninspiring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wait, churros aren't vegan?

I wasn't veg at all last time I was at DL, but the thought of never having a churro again is kind of... distressing.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

The gumbo is great!! You must try it!

I used to get their veggie burgers either at the Tomorrowland/Buzz Lightyear place or at Pinocchio's Village Haus aaall the time.
Sadly, last time I went (July/August '11) they had just changed their menus and now have a portobello burger that I don't know if it can be made vegan : (

Oh and I asked about the tofu skewers and they're not vegan, grrrrr. I think they have dairy.
They happily made one of the salads vegan for me though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 pm 

I had the gumbo and yes, it was SO GOOD! It was pretty much the only enjoyable thing I had on the trip, alas. I am a little pissed off about how much money I spent on crappy food and crappy coffee when I had suggested that we just go to Trader Joe's and have a stash of non-perishable food in a locker for us to eat all day, but my friends weren't willing to make a slight detour to a store, so I spent my next two weeks worth of disposable income.

On the plus side, they have beer in California Adventure, which made Tower of Terror SO MUCH BETTER.

But alas, yes, churros aren't vegan--they have milk AND egg in them! Sadface.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Bummer. I am going to have to learn to make my own. TIME TO STALK TEH PINTERESTS FOR VEGAN CHURRO RECIPES.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

butterbobbin wrote:
Bummer. I am going to have to learn to make my own. TIME TO STALK TEH PINTERESTS FOR VEGAN CHURRO RECIPES.

There is a recipe in Viva Vegan!

Still sucks we have to make our own though. I thought churros were vegan. SIGH.