| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-scuzzy hostels in downtown?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My boyfriend and I are contemplating flying into SF for a show on New Years Eve. We're probably going to just stay the one night, but if we can find a reasonable rate we'll stay for two nights. Hotels downtown tend to be really damn expensive, so we're looking at getting a private room in a hostel. Does anyone have any experience with hostels in downtown and/or have one that you would recommend?

Post subject: Re: Non-scuzzy hostels in downtown?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't know much about hostels, but I'm guessing that around New year's, they'll be pretty crazy no matter what. If you're open to a hotel instead of a hostel, check out the Metro (http://www.metrohotelsf.com/). It's pretty central, totally reasonable, and nice. My mom stays there whenever she's in town, and she loves it. Rates vary with the season, but I think she usually pays between $75 and $85 a night. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've heard good things about Green Tortoise (I don't think this is downtown, though) and Hostelling International (I'm pretty sure this one is downtown). I can't give you a personal recommendation, though, since I've never stayed at a hostel. I do hope you find a nice place to rest your head while you're here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:38 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

jordanpattern wrote:
I don't know much about hostels, but I'm guessing that around New year's, they'll be pretty crazy no matter what. If you're open to a hotel instead of a hostel, check out the Metro (http://www.metrohotelsf.com/). It's pretty central, totally reasonable, and nice. My mom stays there whenever she's in town, and she loves it. Rates vary with the season, but I think she usually pays between $75 and $85 a night. Highly recommended!

Totally seconded!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 pm 
Chip Strong

IsaChandra wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Totally seconded!

Thirded! I have friends who've stayed there and it's definitely nice for the price.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My boyfriend and I stay at one of two places every time we visit:

1. Hotel des artes - Modern rooms, painted by artists, around $100 (could be $110 on weekend)

http://www.sfhoteldesarts.com/index.php

2. The Grant Plaza Hotel in Chinatown - we've stayed here for $80 before

http://www.grantplaza.com/

Both places are small, but if you are just going to be spending the night in the rooms and going out during the day, it's worth it! Hopefully you can book now before prices get crazy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

jordanpattern wrote:

They're actually cheaper than a lot of the hostels I've been looking at! Crazy! Thanks for the recommendation.