| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Butcher's Son Delicatessen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Have any of you checked this place out yet? I went yesterday later in the day when they were already sold out of most things but was still able to get some lunch! I ordered the roast beef & horseradish sandwich to go and was super impressed! They don't skimp, one of my peeves, and the "meat" was really flavorful with a great texture, the whole thing was delicious! I'm so excited to have a new spot near me, especially where I can get a real deli style sandwich that doesn't rely on hummus or having to leave half the ingredients off! I can't wait to go back when they are fully in operation, I think this will become a new gem in the neighborhood!

Post subject: Re: The Butcher's Son Delicatessen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:22 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I've been waiting for them to open- it sounds from your post like they aren't fully operational yet? What's the scoop?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The soft opening was yesterday and I think they will be fully functioning starting Thursday, they are closed on Wednesdays. Taqueria veganiza (sp?) will be using the space on Wednesday nights and some other folks will be using their kitchen. So exciting! Vegan croissants!!! Breakfast and lunch too!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

Their pictures on Insta are ridiculous. I'll be trying them out when next I am over that way. Hopefully very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:27 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

OMG, I totally walked by this place the other day without even realizing it was soon to be a vegan deli. Last I had heard of them they were opening up on Solano, but I am NOT complaining because University is far closer to me (and, I think, to a lot more business in general). My friend from Philly tagged me in yesterday's amazing photo of a sloppy dripping Philly cheesesteak and said "UM EXCUSE ME" so I think she's intimating we have to go soon, haha!

I kind of have to laugh at the fact that now I've moved away from my old apartment near North Berkeley BART, all these amazing vegan places are opening up within a few blocks. I am gonna try and hit this place up on Saturday, since they open nice and early, and grab some stuff before Pepper's nearby vet appointment!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Here's the scoop. Looking forward to checking it out next week!

Jesse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm usually not so hyped on fake meat sandwiches but had the roast beef here this weekend -- really good. Would go back for sure. Instagram stuff is looking good all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:03 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I went today with a friend and we shared a croissant, a donut, and a cannoli. Honestly speaking, I think the donut and the croissant could use improvement. But I thought the coffee and the cannoli were good, and I definitely want to come back and try a loaded up bagel or one of their amazing-looking sandwiches soon. I do not think I will be disappointed by those. It's a beautiful space and the staff is really friendly! I'm looking forward to enjoying this place, especially once they get settled in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:42 pm 
Stepford Vegan

we went yesterday too. my boyfriend and i both got the sriracha pepper-steak and <3ed it. the sandwiches were huge. we tried the mexican cheeze - really good and salty. we split a cannoli and both of us thought it need some work. i am going by memory from my grandma's and maybe i should cut them slack. the bs' cannoli did not have a crunchy shell + the filling did not have that tang that usually you get from the cheese. it tasted more like a profiterole. it was not bad - just not a cannoli.

we saw the doughnuts - they looked a lil soggy & sad.

also our order was picked up by someone else and they walked off with it so we had to wait for it to be remade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:11 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I definitely did not grow up with a grandma making cannoli for me, so I only had to hope that what I was eating was authentic! I have to cop to being a bit jealous- the closest my grandma ever got to making cookies for me was handing me a rice cake :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

Finally got over there and really enjoyed it. The chocolate donut I've been dreaming about all week wasn't great, the dough was almost savory and way too oily. WHY can't we have good donuts!? Dunwell and Cinnamon Snail have spoiled me for life. But I would totally get the savory chocolate covered donut again. I had the roast beef sandwich and it was awesome. The meat was way too salty, it made me a little lightheaded even. But I deprive myself of messy, huge sandwiches for healthiness and this was a mega wonderful treat. I love the space and the people who work there, it was a great experience and I look forward to going back.

Oh and the macaroni salad was rad! I got extra to bring home. I seriously love deli macaroni salad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:08 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I went again yesterday, and got a bagel with chive cream cheese, and got a cheesesteak to eat later! The bagel was a bit chewy, but the schmear was good, and the coffee was again awesome. I liked the cheesesteak! To my own detriment I took it home and put it in the fridge for a few hours, so I think it would probably be way more delicious while it's fresh and hot.

I agree, the staff are super nice! I think this place still has a few rough edges and there's room for improvement, but I definitely like it so far and I'm more than willing to keep going back as they settle in! I'm amazed that every time I've gone there always seems to be just as many people as tables- it's always full but never overflowing.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm 
Stepford Vegan

we went back over the weekend. the potato salad was different (i liked the original better). i got the philly boyfriend went with the sriracha one again. i cannot give a good review of the dish since i am battling allergies and a sinus infection - i can tell you it is mushroom heavy. boyfriend said they skipped some of the tasty bits on his sandwich - he said it was good but not as good. maybe it was an off day. super crazy busy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:19 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

They've just started offering a regular weekend brunch! I haven't tried it yet, I this they just started this weekend and I'd gone in just after it finished for the day. I've been hearing people rave about their fried chicken sandwich, and apparently they sell out of it every day, so I gave it a shot. Holy crepe, you guys, it was amazing. I ordered it ahead and then took it to go and walked a bit before sitting in the park to eat it, so I'm not sure if that messed with the texture, but that said, I would love for the 'chicken' to be crispier. And maybe it is- like I said, I didn't eat it hot off the counter. That point aside, it was incredible and amazing and filling and I can't wait to eat it again.

Preferably with their apple pie-filled churro waffles. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. It seems like a year ago I was bemoaning the state of East Bay vegan brunches, and now they are bountiful. Blessings from the Great Turnip!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

Cannot wait to go here!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:25 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Okay, I tried the apple pie-stuffed churro waffles with fried chicken yesterday. I'mma put the bad right up front and get it out of the way, cause it's only one thing: no maple syrup, only 'breakfast syrup.' I'm not a snob about a lot of things, but maple syrup is one of them. I know it's expensive, and I get it- but if they offered a chance to upgrade from Corn Syrup Cabin to *REAL* maple syrup for $0.50 or .75, I would absolutely cough it up.

That out of the way, this ish is good. Seriously good. They used yeasted donut dough for the waffle, so you know off the top that thing's gonna be insane! Then they roll it in a ton of cinnamon sugar, hence the churro part. Even the bites without apple filling are so incredible and delicious on their own! It was plenty good with just EB, but like I said, if they had maple syrup it would be outta this world. The chicken on top was just as good as it was in the sandwich, but because I got it fresh and to eat in, it stayed crispy on the outside! A little bit of Frank's and it was just right!

It looks like an ok amount of food on the plate, but it's so filling! My plate was wiped clean at the end (except for the untouched ramekin of 'breakfast syrup'). Definitely gonna go back and try more brunch options, but I'll bring my own syrup if I get that waffle again!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Here is a photo because show, don't tell:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh! When I visited the one day I could check them out they were closed! I hope I get back to Berkley soonish!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:32 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Sweet baby jesus that looks amazing.

I feel the need to make a pilgrimage to the East Bay soon...!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm 

FINALLY went here. My breakfast sammich was AMAZING, and I got a maple bacon donut to go. ALSO AMAING even though I ate it the next day. Still great.

The bacon they make is INCREDIBLE. I want to learn their secrets! And definitely return for more yummy foods.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

OMG brunch what.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:19 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I think I've tried something new every single time I've been here so far. I'm still working my way through the menu and I still have yet to find anything I didn't think was delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I can't find a brunch menu online but I'd love to know what options I could tempt my sweetheart with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:13 pm 

I suggest using their Instagram for temptation purposes: https://www.instagram.com/thebutchersson_/

It is the leading cause of my accidentally drooling on myself at my desk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:34 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

madeleine.teacup wrote:

I can't find a brunch menu online but I'd love to know what options I could tempt my sweetheart with.

The girls'll cream!

From what I can recall, there is:

-apple pie stuffed churro pancake with fried chicken
-fried chicken and other yumminess on a glazed donut (YES SERIOUSLY)
-the level 10 vegan, which is fried chicken, bacon, avocado, cream cheese, tomato & lettuce on a bagel with jalapeno on the side

there are two or three other menu items that are bagel sandwiches with FYH egg, but since I've never been a big egg fan I haven't ordered those and don't remember them all that well!