| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting San Francisco with one year old twins
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So my husband is attending a conference in SF next week and I decided to tag along with our one year old twins. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity even though I will be on my own with the twins for a lot of the time. I'm hoping you all can give me some advice. We'll be staying near Embarcadero Center. I'll have a stroller (rather heavy and not easily collapsible). Will I have any problems taking it on the BART? Are there many good places to eat within walking distance that are kid friendly? Anything we shouldn't miss? I've been to SF before but it's been many years. Any advice will be most appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Visiting San Francisco with one year old twins
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

You're close to Plant Cafe which has one of the best veggie burgers and a lot of other good options. Some stuff at the farmers market at the ferry building including Peoples vegan donuts. Osha Thai can make dishes vegan if you ask and have very good spring rolls.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:11 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

If you go to the Plant, you should also take the kiddos to check out the new Exploratorium. I still haven't been myself since they re-opened at the Embarcadero, so I'll be jealous if you go! I don't know how much 'learning' one year-olds can do there, but it is most definitely kid-friendly and I'm sure there will be plenty of areas they will enjoy. You could also take them on a tour of the TCHKO chocolate factory, which is also nearby on the Embarcadero. They have set tour times, you'll have to GTS, but they give five or six a day and what little kid wouldn't love visiting a chocolate factory? No creepy Willy Wonka stuff, I promise.

Your stroller should not be a problem on BART. Most stations have working elevators (although sometimes it's a crapshoot, there are usually escalators as well), and all have at least one wide luggage/wheelchair turnstile which a stroller should fit through. If you are able to brave BART, I recommend going to 19th Street in Oakland and walking down to Lake Merritt, where the kids would definitely enjoy Fairyland. You can stop by Ike's on the way down or on the way back to BART for sandwiches or go to Golden Lotus if you want to return from 12th Street BART.

You can also head up to Downtown Berkeley BART, there is a children's museum called Habitot on Shattuck or thereabouts. Cinnaholic and Saturn Cafe are both very close and kid-friendly.

Hope you guys have fun!

**edited because I don't know how teh internetz work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Embarcadero will be fun for you guys. The sidewalks are wide enough for you to maneuver easily and it's flat. I think other 'hoods would be tough though. If you do make it on the BART, be sure to avoid the super busy times. Try and use it between 10 and 3. You might find rush hour too stressful. I do and I don't have twins!

Have a great visit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:28 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Thanks for the tips! Is there any place we shouldn't miss? For a nice dinner when my husband can join us? When he is with me, we can ditch the stroller. So we should be able to get around a bit better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Try Gracias Madre. It's pretty kid friendly and if you walk up 18th to the Valencia/Guerrero/Dolores blocks, it's really fun sightseeing. Definitely more local San Francisco then Embarcadero. Dolores Park is a kids dream, though not sure if one year olds are big enough. But still, it's really great people and puppy watching.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Gracias Madre is a good recommendation, Papalote would be good with kids too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We tried to go to the Mission Papalote the other day and the entire street out front is destroyed and under heavy construction. Jack hammers and earth movers and all manner of horribleness. I hope it's done soon, because seriously. It's been going on for quite some time now. *grumble grumble*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I definitely intend to go to Gracias Madres with my husband. The twins and I took Muni over to the Mission District today. We had lunch at Herbivore. I know that there are mixed reviews, but we had a great lunch there. It wasn't super crowded and our server was very sweet. I had the grilled chicken shwarma and it was very good. And there is a really nice children's playground just a block away on Valencia with a nice restroom where I was able to change the babies. We stopped at Bi-Rite Creamery and had some vegan chocolate coconut ice cream. Yum! It was a good day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That's so great! If you can take the Muni, that opens things up. Maybe try taking it over to Fort Mason and popping into Greens? You can get the BEST chili in the world and to-go sandwiches and salads and walk around looking at boats and of course gorgeous views of the Golden Gate. Hope you're enjoying the City and this very decent weather!