| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm moving to you!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yep, you read correctly – I just accepted a new (dream) job and will be buying a one-way ticket to San Francisco at the end of September/beginning of October. I am insanely excited!

I have a vague idea of what neighborhoods to look in for housing, but I hear it's a nightmare. Calm me, please? Though I am coming from New York, which requires everything short of a vial of blood to rent anywhere, so maybe it's a similar experience but without the horrible broker fees. Any other advice you wish you'd known before moving to SF would be incredibly helpful to me, so please – share away!

And I really want to meet all of you when I arrive, so let's do this. Hooray!

Post subject: Re: I'm moving to you!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The thing that makes housing tough is that you will find the PERFECT place. On your favorite block, in the coolest neighborhood, for a decent (less than $2,000! a month) price and you will be all over that application!!!!! But......18 other people will have already applied. And will offer $3,000+ a month.

I don't want to scare you, but it is very tough. I've moved 4 times since January, trying desperately to find something more long term. Your best bet is to let go of the neighborhood and just find something you can live with. It's not a market to be picky in, unless you have lots and lots of money. Then, this City is your oyster! Hopefully your work will help you with relocation fees, that would really make things easier. And maybe they can set you up with corporate housing for a few weeks at least?

It's a great place to live, a really amazing city.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

GIRL, YEAH. I'm excited to have you in the neighborhood!

In terms of renting in SF, my best advice is to commute from the East Bay. I am slightly biased, of course, but it is cheaper (including transit costs), you will get more for your money, and the weather is always ten degrees warmer!

It sounds like you may already know a thing or two about various SF neighborhoods, but this is a cute, slightly tongue-in-cheek read even if you're not moving to SF: Part 1 and Part 2.

Here's a handy-dandy guide to the Cheapest Rents in SF. And a how-to on apartment hunting in SF's competitive market. And finally, if you look into commuting from outside the city, here's a chart on average rents in various Bay Area cities by studios, 1BR, and 2BR (including percentage allowing pets).

Can you tell I really like The Bold Italic?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:58 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

In terms of advice from a local, do not move to The Richmond/The Sunset if you expect to see the sun, ever. Do not live in the city (SF) if you like occasionally feeling warm, ever. That said, you will be arriving at the height of "summer" (Sept/Oct). Weather is jacked here, don't try to make sense of it, and always be prepared to have any combination of 3-5 layers on or with you. Always call it The City, SF, or San Francisco, as no other names are acceptable. I have heard it can be initially difficult to make friends here because so many people come and go; people want to be sure you're going to stick around before investing in a friendship. But you can always hit me up for a beer or whatevs. See you soon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:11 pm 

You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice. Erika, you'd best believe I'll be hitting you up for a beer. So excited to be heading your way!

I have totally read those posts on the Bold Italic – they're great! My only concern with the East Bay is that my start time is 8AM, and I usually work long hours, so I think I'd probably kill myself if I had to wake up at 5 in the morning to get to work on time and then plan on a long trip home afterward. Or maybe I'm being a wimp. Cost of housing may cause me to suck it up and just deal.

I also want to be in an area where I can safely run in the morning, which I know can be somewhat limiting in certain neighborhoods. It's low on my list of priorities, but it's something I'm definitely keeping in mind when browsing around.

I can't tell you how excited I am about the weather, jacked though it may be. I hate. HATE. the heat. I hate it. Good-bye, New York summers! Honestly, I've wanted to live in SF since I was really little, so this opportunity feels pretty damn magical. And I've really missed CA since moving from LA to NY in 2009, so it'll be good to be back. Whee!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 pm 

Oh, and if anybody knows of anyone looking for a roommate (yours truly), I'm probably going to start off in a short-term sublet for about 6 months or less starting October 1st.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I wouldn't want to be looking for housing right now, rents are wacky expensive -- but you're coming from NY so maybe you won't be so shocked. Richmond and Sunset are foggier for sure but you'd be near Golden Gate Park and maybe the Ocean and would have great Running opportunities and rent should be a bit more reasonable.

Eastbay is underrated and has some of the best Vegan stuff and BART will get you into SF quicker than you might think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:32 am 
Lime and a Coconut

If you work long hours, I would totally understand wanting to be close to work and in the same city. The Richmond or The Sunset might be your best bet if you'd like somewhere to jog, since the park is right there. Those neighborhoods are also relatively clean* and affordable** and safe and have lots of vegan gems. The only drawbacks are that they can feel remote and again, the weather- it's good you like the cold, but you'd be surprised how living in San Francisco might make you miss the sun. But that's perfect in its own way- on the rare hot day, you can appreciate it and then be done with it by the time the fog rolls in at 7!

I'll keep my ears open about roommate situations!

*clean in San Francisco is measured by presence of human feces on the street.

**still crazy expensive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:11 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Many areas in the East Bay are a shorter commute to downtown by BART than Sunset or Richmond! I'd rather live in Berkeley or Oakland than way out there in the middle of nowhere with no sun and a painfully long commute on the bus. If you're going to bike, it gets better, but any time you ride the bus, it will be tragic.

That said, I live downtown on the edge of the Tenderloin (O'Farrell St) and I really like my neighborhood. There's the occasional dude smoking crack at midafternoon outside my apartment and the sidewalks aren't super clean, but there's great food, it's accessible to everything, and the rents are reasonable. There's also a lot of great businesses, people, and character. I do NOT feel comfortable running in my area except certain parts of day, but there's a 24 Hour Fitness a few blocks away that's $25 a month.

Where you work can make a huge difference, though. What neighborhood will you be working in?

Also, I second Erika's invitation--I'd be tickled to join up for a beer or a snack or something sometime!

Congrats on the exciting new job!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

DarthCupcake wrote:
Many areas in the East Bay are a shorter commute to downtown by BART than Sunset or Richmond

This is true. BART sticks to a schedule and is fast. The N Judah is completely unreliable, and I've often has to wait for up to 40 minutes for a train. The 38 bus comes often, but is unbearably slow and always crowded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

A drawback to East Bay living is BART shuts down at midnight and there's not great public transportation alternatives/taxis are expensive.

SF is a great city to have a Scooter/Motorcycle/bicycle too -- makes a lot of areas in the city more livable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:12 pm 

Ah, the BART shutting down at midnight seems like a huge deal-breaker for me, unfortunately. I tend to work really long hours in my industry, so that may be the clincher. Sucks, because it seems like that's the only place I could realistically live by myself if my boyfriend can't join me right away, but we'll see what pans out.

Neighborhood-wise, I'll be closeish to the Marina. There is no way I could ever hope to afford living there. Woohoo!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 pm 

Oh, and I'm flying on September 30th, so starting October 1st, I belong to San Francisco.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:15 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Welcome to the Bay. I'm born and raised in San Fran Frisco and the East Bay. However, I just moved back from New York, after ten years. OMGoddess, the heat and extreme cold was terrible for me. I still never got used to it. i'm so glad that I don't have to deal with snow this year. I'm near Sacramento right now, but I'm moving down to Albany (east bay) around the beginning of Nov. I know that I wanna plan a vegan fondue party in Dec. or Jan.

The rent in SF jumped soo much. I used to live on Haight before I left for NY. I can't believe how much it's increased. I wish you mad luck in finding a space and I hope I get to meet some of the people in this thread =)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:18 pm 
Chip Strong

welcome! I live in Chinatown, which isn't too far from the marina. I suggest looking here and in nearby neighborhoods! my place is a total steal if you're cool with having a landlord who doesn't speak english.