| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Berkley, CA: New Vegan Business: Republic Of V
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

How I love thee, Republic of V.

When I found out Miyoko was going to sell her cheeses, I freaked out... and then I found out Republic of V was going to carry them! <33333 I already stop by there regularly to get those stinkin' delicious macarons, but of course I had to head down there for these cheeses. I tried the Aged English Smoked Farmhouse, Loire Valley wrapped in Fig Leaf, and the French Style Winter Truffle. (Praises be to Miyoko for her Artisan Vegan Cheese book AND for selling the ready-made cheeses too! Because counter-surfing dogs can't be trusted around drying cheeses in my kitchen.)

And more love to Republic of V for carrying Vegan Dish's ceramic bowls/etc. Someone broke one of my bowls and they had the same exact one there! I was so happy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:10 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oooh yeah, I bought her cream and chive cheese last week and demolished it, I need to get back and buy more! I love Republic of V so G-D much!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:28 pm 
Stepford Vegan

someone posted they had fat ice cream sandwiches last week. i plan on hitting them up this weekend because i have never felt the need to wait in line at cream...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:33 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I went today for more Miyoko cheese (heh) and snagged an S&M sandwich too! It was kind of annoying, the ingredients said it contained nuts but not which ones. Joe and I figured it was likely a cashew-based mayo, so I got it and ate it and it was yum (I'm only allergic to peanuts).

MMM, CROTCH SANDWICH

Also, mmc, they did have the ice cream sandwiches but I didn't get one because I was already spending too much! There's also a fairly new ice cream shop in Temescal Alley called Curbside Creamery and they have a good couple of vegan ice cream and ice cream sandwich options. They're delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:05 am 
Stepford Vegan

did not get an ice cream sandwich yesterday - trying to avoid palm oil. did by some chocolate & candy corn lip balms though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:44 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

That Miyoko double cream and chive is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. Oh my god so good. Also got the Vtopia brie, which is relatively mild but nice. But Miyoko 4 lyfe, holy hell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Got so many incredible goodies today. I feel like they are really hitting their stride and stocking serious winners. And it just feels good in there.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just a heads up that Animal Place bought Republic of V, which will now be renamed Vegan Republic. Profits from Vegan Republic will go to support Animal Place and education and activism in the Bay Area. It will remain in the same location.

I understand the sale was amicable and that Joe and Noelle (the owners) are helping to make the transition to new management seamless. I hope that Joe and Noelle go on to many amazing things. Among other things, Joe was instrumental in setting up the Vegan Haven shope (formerly known as Sidecar) up in Seattle.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I will miss Joe. He had excellent taste in food. I'll for sure check out the new shop and wish them the best.

Post subject: Re: Berkeley, CA: Vegan Republic (formerly Republic of V)
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:52 am 
Stepford Vegan

does anyone know why it was sold? i could not find any info.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

From Vegan Republic's Facebook page:

Quote:
Please take a moment to read a note from Republic of V founders Joe and Noelle. We at Animal Place want you to know how excited we are...but that that excitement originated from the hard work and vision Joe and Noelle have had with this store.

"Just wanted to let anyone know that Noelle and I feel so honored to have sold The Republic of V to Animal Place! As some know, this is the second vegan store I've founded (the first in Seattle, Vegan Haven, is going strong 10 years later).

Starting this type of business with limited resources is a monumental endeavor - the vegan world is tiny and there are still only 11 of these entities nationwide. To put it mildly, success is never assured.

Still, it was pure dynamite right out of the gates for us. The community embraced us and we are grateful for the love and support received from around the country. Our NorCal customer base are some of the best humans beings I've met. They are mostly quiet people who get what a vegan store for the animals means - a bold statement against the endless barbaric human war on non-human animals. Very very few call themselves activists but most advocate for the animals in dignified and honorable ways in their social, work and family circles.

It's an honor to know so many of you good and humble folk. Alas though, when it comes to the big picture and this effort, we came to a realization for us that there are two races - I'm a sprinter but I'm not always a marathoner. I take great pride in my ability to make things happen in incredibly short time spans.

We are not patient enough and not equipped to take this store to the next level which MUST HAPPEN. I am certain that the juggernaut that is Animal Place can build the bigger village that is needed in the Bay for us vegans and animal lovers. It feels so awesome to pass the baton to one of the unsung heroes of the animal protection movement known as Kim Sturla and her great team at Animal Place. I can tell you the plans in the mix to do lots of events and happenings are very exciting. Noelle and I never pleaded with anyone to support the store when it was ours. But if you’re in Bay now, PLEASE SUPPORT Animal Place’s Vegan Republic and this most noble cause for animals. Animal Place deserves it as do the animals. Remember, the choices you make with your wallet really matters. Thanks for reading this! Be well good people.

-Joe and Noelle"

Jesse

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:59 pm 
Stepford Vegan

i went for the first time in awhile (the location is not the best for the stuff i do). is anyone else shopping here still? i found it kinda went downhill (which made me sad). the person working was odd/rude/?. i was buying some buttons and candy. the guy was like 'the buttons are $1.99, do you still want it' - um yeas. i ran out of cash but had my card. i needed to buy 25 cents more worth of stuff to use my card he said 'are you sure you want to buy this?'...maybe their point us not to sell stuff now?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:24 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I still stop by here occasionally, because they carry things I can't get anywhere else locally and I still like to support them as a vegan business and as a shop that funds an animal sanctuary. BUT. You're right, the atmosphere is definitely changed, and I've had huge problems with finding what I was looking for in stock ever since the hand over. I can think of three things right off the top of my head that I was really struggling to get from them and they just were not on top of reordering stock in an efficient way. It's a huge bummer- like I said, I still go there when the need strikes, but I don't go out of my way like I used to.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:19 pm 
Stepford Vegan

yes - supporting the animals is good but a lot of stuff like you said is out of stock or just not there. they used to have all the wow-cool-new stuff. now it is kinda 'meh' and feels a lackluster at best, like the food on shelves feels ramshackle and one-offs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I went there today, impressed they were open on Labor day - seemed stocked up pretty good.