| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to stay in SF in May?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 pm 
ugh

Hey San Francisco PPKers! I'm getting married in May (yippee!), and for the honeymoon my fiance & I are planning a road trip up the west coast! We'll start in San Francisco on May 19 and will head home from PDX on May 29.

So far we've only booked flights, but our plans are roughly:
- Two or three nights in SF
- Two nights in Mendocino (Stanford Inn!)
- One night at some halfway point between Mendocino & Portland (Crescent City?)
- A few nights in Portland (probably at this vegan B&B)

I could use some ideas on where to stay in San Francisco, whether a B&B or hotel or whatever. We'd love for it to be reasonably close to touristy things. It doesn't need to be the nicest place ever, but at least nice enough to have a private bathroom.

Thanks in advance!! When we get a little closer maybe we can schedule a meetup.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Where to stay in SF in May?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:17 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I cannot say how much we loved Kimpton in Union Square. It is right in the heart of everything! Plus with specials deals (which I did not know about) you can get a voucher for the mall around the corner for $50 - inside you will find Loving Hut and Chipotle plus snacks.
Our room was about $230 after taxes and with a discount. We got a bar comp that was $10, inside the mini bar there were Cliff bars and stuff. The room was nice, we requested feather free, after finding out we were vegan - they sent up kale chips, sunflower seeds & lara bars + soy milk for our coffee. All rooms come with yoga on demand & yoga mats!
There is a Target a stones throw from the lobby and a Whole Foods a few blocks away. Taxis/ride shares are easy to get from the area.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:26 pm 
ugh

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:36 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I've heard good things about the Metro Hotel and know lots of folks who have stayed there on their way through town. It's on Divisadero near Haight, so while it's not necessarily in the heart of Union Square like a lot of SF hotels, I think it's a nicer slice of the 'real' San Francisco. It's within close walking distance to upper and lower Haight, Japantown, and the Castro, and, a bit further, the Mission. Divisadero is a major thoroughfare so you will be able to catch buses to almost any major tourist destination or to other bus routes quite easily.

As far as halfway between Mendo and Portland, I would discourage you from staying in Crescent City. It's not a terrible place per se, I just don't find it a particularly charming or vegan-friendly town. My personal recommendation would be Ashland, OR. It's right across the border from California, so roughly the same distance as Crescent City, but with a charming downtown and tons of vegan options, including a great co-op market. If you consider Ashland, hop on a reservation ASAP because by May the Shakespeare Festival will be in full swing and hotels get booked up. Of course, with Crescent City, you have the bonus of the beautiful drive up 101, but if you're willing to sacrifice a bit by switching over to I-5 at some point, Ashland is the place to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:40 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Alternately, if you're willing to drive a little farther on your second day after Mendo, I LOVE Arcata. It's a small hippy college town just north of Eureka and an hour or two 90 minutes south of Crescent City. There are lots of great vegan options and, again, a great co-op. It's bayside and gets chilly and foggy but I love it! It's a great town, I even considered living there for a while but ultimately small town life isn't for me.

ETA: Bonus feature, you can take the Avenue of the Giants detour off 101 on your way up and see some redwoods! Also, the famous drive-through tree is up thataways.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was impressed with what some visiting friends found on airbnb here recently.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
I cannot say how much we loved Kimpton in Union Square.

Last time I stayed in a hotel in SF it was the Kimpton and we really liked it! We got a deal on Priceline or one of those sites and it was a fair price. It was right near everything including transit so it was easy to hop around the city.

I haven't stayed in an AirBNB in SF, but I have used it in other cities and I've always had great experiences.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Agree about crescent city. It's kind of boring and down at the mouth. All the redwoods are gone :(

There is a beautiful old lodge at the Oregon Caves (about 2 h northeast of crescent city on your way back to the 5). It's in the woods and mountains and is absolutely beautiful. Definitely honeymoon worthy!
http://www.oregoncaveschateau.com

I saw some really beautiful airbnb offerings in sf and oakland. If I didnt live here that's where I'd look!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So great you get to go to Stanford Inn! I've stayed there twice and absolutely loved it. It's heaven on earth, for reals.

I've stayed at the Metro Hotel on Divis and it was super noisy and very dirty. Not a honeymoon kind of place though the area itself is wonderful. Highly recommend finding an AirBnB if you can. I've had great success with that in the Castro and it's such an easy 'hood to get anywhere else in the City. Start researching now and you'll find something amazing soon enough. Happy honeymooning and congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 am 
ugh

Thanks for the great tips, I never would have known about Crescent City for sure. I guess we were thinking it was just going to be a brief stop in our travels (along the 101), but it would be nice to have decent place to eat! Also will check out airbnb for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm 
ugh

The Kimpton looks nice but it is fully booked for when I need it, nuts. Right now I'm leaning towards the Golden Gate Hotel because it looks old and cute and they have a cat hanging around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i think there is another kimpton location in SF, just not the union square one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:08 am 
ugh

In the end we booked a nice looking airbnb place. I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

b.vicious wrote:
In the end we booked a nice looking airbnb place. I can't wait!

Cool! Whereabouts will you be staying?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:12 pm 
ugh

We'll be at the northern edge of Bernal Heights from May 19 to May 22. Hope we can arrange a meetup once this is a little closer! Looks like there's a couple good vegan spots in Mission near us.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:57 pm 
ugh

Alrighty, wedding is tomorrow (!!!) which means I'll be in San Francisco very soon. Send a PM if you're interested in meeting up! I can't guarantee that we'll have much time but it would be awesome to meet some of you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:07 am 
ugh

Well, I'm sorry we never managed to arrange a meetup, but it was probably for the best because my husband and I were exhausted and spent too much time sleeping to even see lots of the touristy things. We had a nice time though, the airbnb place was cute and we ate some awesome food - 3 visits to the very nearby St. Francis Fountain but my fav overall was Weird Fish.

Also, can't say enough good things about Stanford Inn in Mendocino - people were so nice and friendly, the food (particularly breakfast) was delicious, and we stayed in a barn next to donkeys and llamas!

For our halfway point up to Portland we stayed at the Best Western in Brookings. The hotel was cool because it was right on the beach and we got a fancy whirlpool tub room, and while Brookings wasn't exciting at all, there was a Thai place that could make almost anything on the menu vegan.