| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guy flying solo needs help!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey all!

I'm headed out to the Cupertino/San Jose area for a 3 week business trip.

Are there any must hit vegan restaurants I should hit out there? I've never been before.

Also, up to hear about any awesome attractions.

I love to go thrifting as well so if anyone has any leads on great thrift stores in the area - let me now!

Thanks in advance!

-veganjay

Post subject: Re: Guy flying solo needs help!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm not sure where you live but if you don't have Veggie Grill where you are, there is one in San Jose at Santana Row (an outdoor shopping center). I would highly recommend Merit in Sunnyvale (north of where you'll be) and Cafe Gratitude and Dharma's in Santa Cruz/Capitola (well south of SJ). Good Karma Cafe in downtown San Jose is cool, especially if you are into beer. Have a great time!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks! I'll actually be staying in Sunnyvale!

Anything especially good at Merit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I love their Vietnamese dishes. They make amazing spring rolls and bun (#29 and #30). The pho is fantastic. The rice dishes are also good but I think they excel at noodles. I'm not a fan of Chinese but they have alot of those options that people seem to love.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Awesome! Is there a great bookstore in the Bay Area like how Powells is in Portland?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

City Lights in SF is probably the best/most famous. There is no Powell's equivalent in my opinion. Book People in Austin or the Strand in NYC are the only ones that come close. Closer to the area you'll be in, look up Books Inc, Kepler's and Bells Books.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:37 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Blue Line pizza in Mountain View has a very legit vegan deep dish pizza that I think is freaking great.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

Do you think Blue Line is better than Patxi's? When I want deep dish, I can't tear myself away from Patxi's long enough to try anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:31 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Alin wrote:
Do you think Blue Line is better than Patxi's? When I want deep dish, I can't tear myself away from Patxi's long enough to try anything else.

I haven't tried Patxi's, so I will have to! I had Zachary's and was so disappointed that I glare every time I walk past them now. I've only had Patxi's regular thin crust, which is good, but hasn't blown my mind.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:02 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Where are you from (as in do you have access to yummy world cuisine at home)? I can recommend some great omni places that have excellent vegan stuff. For example, if you want excellent falafel, go to House of Falafel in Cupertino and get the house of falafel wrap. Best falafel I've had anywhere and they have unlimited legit tahini sauce (none of that yogurt tahini crepe). There's also a giant whole foods in Cupertino that's fun to check out and the whole foods in Los altos carries miyokos cheeses, which you definitely have to try! If you like indian food there are a ton of places in Sunnyvale. Saravana bhavan is a good South Indian place with mostly vegan stuff (dosas and idli) and the freshest chutneys. Zeni is the best Ethiopian I have ever had (better than what I had in pdx which people raved about). Oren's hummus (in mountain view or Palo Alto) has the best hummus and pita. Dish dash in Sunnyvale has excellent Mediterranean/middle eastern food with a big vegetarian menu.

As for vegan-specific--
I'd go to Veggie Grill, Paxtis, and Oren's hummus. Good Karma in downtown San Jose is pretty good. I don't think Vegetarian House in SJ or Garden Fresh are worth the trip unless you are super craving vegan meats in Chinese food, but I've also had it a million times so I'm jaded. I'd suggest tofoo com chay in SJ because you can get veggie Chinese but also veggie banh mi, bun hue, and veggie pho which are way harder to find. Definitely go to Ike's Lair in Cupertino for vegan sandwiches. I haven't tried it but plant-based pizza in SJ is supposed to be great. I think psycho donuts is overrated and they only ever have one vegan donut (frequently sold out) so skip tat. Philz is good for fancy coffee and they have lots of vegan treats. Delicious crepes has *vegan* crepes, tofu scramble, and acai bowls.

I know that's a lot. Hope it's helpful! I prefer a lot of the omni places over the all veg ones. I think the all veg places tend to phone it in around here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:44 am 
Nailed to the V

Just an FYI, I finally got around to trying Blue Line. They said that while they have Daiya, their deep dish pans are all coated in butter. Only thin crust is available which is super lame in my opinion. So we left and went to Patxi's.