| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:55 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
I'd love to go out to a nice dinner on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years and actually find a veg-friendly fixed price menu. Other than Millennium, what are my options? Everything is so meat- and dairy-decadent at omni restaurants this time of year. Is it a vegan wasteland or do I just suck at the Google?

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:29 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: Los Angeles
couroupita wrote:
I'd love to go out to a nice dinner on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years and actually find a veg-friendly fixed price menu. Other than Millennium, what are my options? Everything is so meat- and dairy-decadent at omni restaurants this time of year. Is it a vegan wasteland or do I just suck at the Google?


Here in Los Angeles, Cafe Gratitude is serving up a free vegan Thanksgiving meal but it's first come first served and you have to be there around 11 AM, when the restaurant opens. Google Cafe Gratitude in the Bay Area or go to their Facebook page to see if there's something like it happening there too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:05 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
I ended up getting the Whole Foods vegan meal for Thanksgiving.

Still looking for something for NYE. It looks like Bar Agricole has a 5 course menu on NYE (for $125! Eek!) and the website says vegan/vegetarian menus available. I'll post again if I find out more info.

Saha is also doing a NYE dinner.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:50 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
I ended up going to Saha for NYE. Sadly, it was not worth it!! It was a 5 course fixed price dinner, but several of the dishes were really bland and boring and they rushed us through the meal. One of the main courses was a Indian-type yellow curry with huge chunks of fennel and onion and zero flavor. Super sad face bummer!

Maybe I will check out Millennium next year. I never did look into Cafe Gratitude. It's a little too crunchy for my SO.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:10 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 566
Location: San Francisco
Oh, bummer about Saha. My last meal there in July wasn't great but man I have had some incredible meals there in years past. Fingers crossed they can return to their previous splendor. I feel like restaurants are so keen on turning over tables on NYE. We went to Citizen Fox and I was pissed to be at a group table (sorry but I cannot stand eating with strangers) and not a single person showed up between 6 and 7:30. It was awesome for us and was obviously horrible planning on the restaurants part. Give the people who are there good tables!

Isn't Cafe Gratitude closed? If not, when do they close?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:48 pm
Posts: 346
Location: San Francisco
Alin wrote:
Oh, bummer about Saha. My last meal there in July wasn't great but man I have had some incredible meals there in years past. Fingers crossed they can return to their previous splendor. I feel like restaurants are so keen on turning over tables on NYE. We went to Citizen Fox and I was pissed to be at a group table (sorry but I cannot stand eating with strangers) and not a single person showed up between 6 and 7:30. It was awesome for us and was obviously horrible planning on the restaurants part. Give the people who are there good tables!

Isn't Cafe Gratitude closed? If not, when do they close?


How was citizen fox?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
Yeah my past meals at Saha have been great, so I don't know what was up on NYE.

Is the Cafe Gratitude in Santa Cruz still open? I thought so.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1874
Location: santa cruz!
yea, CG in Santa Cruz is still open, but I understand that it was under different ownership all along and was unaffected by the factors that made the others close. I think there a few still open: Kansas City and LA, maybe?

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:19 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: Los Angeles
ameyfm wrote:
yea, CG in Santa Cruz is still open, but I understand that it was under different ownership all along and was unaffected by the factors that made the others close. I think there a few still open: Kansas City and LA, maybe?


LA has three Cafe Gratitude locations, one in Larchmont, one in Venice, and one downtown. All three are still open. The one downtown just opened this past March. There's also a Gracias Madre in West Hollywood.

I'm pretty sure San Diego has a Cafe Gratitude as well.

What were the factors that made the other Bay Area locations close?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
They closed because of a big lawsuit by employees. They weren't distributing tips fairly and people weren't getting their breaks, or at least that's what I read.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Holiday meals at restaurants in the Bay Area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:04 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: Los Angeles
couroupita wrote:
They closed because of a big lawsuit by employees. They weren't distributing tips fairly and people weren't getting their breaks, or at least that's what I read.


Wow. I hope the Cafes Gratitude here have learned something from that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer