| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are you ready for some football?! (superbowl survival)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:32 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So even though the stadium's down in Santa Clara now, apparently SF is going to be swamped the week of the Super Bowl. They're converting all of Justin Hermann plaza on the Embarcadero to "Super Bowl City", and they're estimating it could bring billions of dollars in revenue into the city (almost makes up for that America's Cup mess, doesn't it?). My coworkers are also freaked out that it could cause major disturbances and that I might have trouble commuting into the city for work.

I think this might be exaggeration, but who knows? We don't have tons of experience in hosting Super Bowls, so it remains to be seen what interesting challenges will come out of this. Will we learn to hate the Super Bowl as much as Fleet Week? Ha ha, I'm just joking, that's not even possible.

Has anyone else been or anticipate being affected by the Super Bowl?

Post subject: Re: Are you ready for some football?! (superbowl survival)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't like wanting potato chips and finding out that the stores are all out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have an important work meeting that the total moron scheduled for the day before the Superbowl. People are supposed to drive up from Palo Alto to his house in the Haight. This is to plan an event happening in May! Any other weekend would have worked. I'm definitely not going and expect some pushback. But whatever, I am absolutely not leaving my house the entire weekend. I don't think this is a Superbowl town. Outside the City, sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:05 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

OMG Alin, that's ludicrous! As if it isn't hard enough to find parking around Haight Street on a normal day, let alone the day before a gigantic sporting event. Maybe he should be the one driving down to Palo Alto?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My husband's company (in soma) sent out a special memo altering people to expect transit delays. We accidentally/fortuitously scheduled a vacation straddling super bowl week so we won't have to deal with that mess, thank god.

Hope your commute doesn't get too impacted, Erika & Alin! I know a lot of people are staying in that weekend and working from home during the week to avoid all the crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I hate football, but then there's this...

https://www.facebook.com/events/1974577382767354/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:26 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

mel c wrote:
I hate football, but then there's this...

https://www.facebook.com/events/1974577382767354/

OH. MY. GOD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:32 am 
WELFARIST!

Oh geez, I just found out today that the Super Bowl is going to be around here when I discovered a list of streets that will be closed or rerouted that weekend. This is relevant to us since we now live in Sunnyvale, and getting around will be difficult. I'll have to plan to basically not leave the house all weekend, I think. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm just happy Seattle isn't in the Superbowl. People wear Sea Hawks FULL ON outfits every friday around here. Like, EVERYONE wears that stuff. It's so crazy. I don't even want to know what people are like when the team is doing something special. I feel for you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:48 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

People are like that about the Raiders here, which is funny because they're leaving now. For all the loyalty Oakland gives them, the Raiders (or more accurately, their ownership) couldn't give two shiitakes about the bay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:00 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Drove into the city this weekend with Kittee and it was a breeze. We were at the Very Vegan Sunday at Soma Streat Food Park (it was awesome, as usual) and there was less traffic than there normally is on a weekend, even on the western span of the bridge and around the exits leading to the superbowl crepe. Parking was no problem.

I'd heard about how the city was trying to sweep homeless people out of the way and it's evident that they're pushing everyone to 13th Street. There were probably around 100 or more tents out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

That's great, Erica. Glad you guys got to attend. Friday afternoon/evening traffic was so horrendous that I have vowed to stay away until after the Superb Owl. I've noticed more tents near Rainbow as well.

Listen vandalism is wrong but the way people are changing the statues is hilarious. One is Up R Bowel, another is Superm Owl. Come on, that's just good trolling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:47 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

One of my coworkers said she's going to brave the crowds to check out the Puppy Bowl! She is a better woman than I.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:04 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Arrrrgh video of the puppy bowl!!!! http://kron4.com/2016/02/04/super-bowl- ... uppy-bowl/

I still don't think I want to brave those crowds (or the cops wielding AK-47s O__O) but damn is that adorable.

ETA: I have noticed zero disturbance this week. None whatsoever- if anything, I feel like the city's a little sparser than usual because all the locals are steering clear. I walked from North Beach to Powell Street yesterday after work because I had to buy something at Lush, and aside from a few folks carrying Superbowl 50 bags or Broncos jerseys, I saw nothing to indicate there was a huge event in town. Even Powell Street seemed a little less crowded than usual!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am heading down to Santa Cruz to spend the weekend with my bestie who has a house down there. Dharma's and zero football, I'm so excited. Driving back up on Monday, I hope the craziness is over by then. I went out for pizza last night (Patxi's owns my heart) and the TV in the background showed people having a seriously good time at the NFL stuff so that's nice. It's cool that people are enjoying it. But I'm outta here! ;)