| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mensho Ramen in San Francisco
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:19 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Finally decided to check out the new restaurant in my neighborhood that since the day it opened has had a ridiculous line that starts stacking up an hour before it opens and stays about 50 people deep down the block all night...

I am admittedly not a Ramen expert but apparently Mensho is I guess a famous ramen place in Japan and this is their first restaurant in America -- but they happen have a vegan option here.

The Ramen is $18.00 a bowl and I waited in line for about 45 minutes on a horrible smelling block of Geary St -- but it was worth it, really, really super good -- easily one of my favorite meals I've had in a while. I really doubt there's a better vegan ramen bowl out there.

Again, not a ramen expert (fwiw omni friends in the know claim mensho is the best ramen in the city) and I don't remember what the broth is supposed to be but this had some sort of soy cream in it -- which I didn't expect -- not like a smooth soy coffee cream texture, but a bit gritty, in a good texture way -- along with a handful of different vegetables on top and I guess some sort of a spicy mushroom for the main part of it. It also had 7 different kinds of nuts in it (I asked and they said you can just order it without the nut topping, its not in the broth).

Highly recommend it -- would be difficult to go with a big group I think, not much seating inside and there will be a line. Yeah its $18 dollars but it was top-notch quality and the bowl was big and I was really full afterwards.

Post subject: Re: Mensho Ramen in San Francisco
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:28 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the excellent review! Have you had the ramen at Shizen? Is this better? I'm reluctant to deal with the lines and meatiness when Shizen ramen is so amazing but I've never had famously good ramen (unless Shizen is famously good?).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am 

Alin wrote:
Thanks for the excellent review! Have you had the ramen at Shizen? Is this better? I'm reluctant to deal with the lines and meatiness when Shizen ramen is so amazing but I've never had famously good ramen (unless Shizen is famously good?).

I have not had the ramen at Shizen, can't compare.

Didn't smelly meaty in there, the kitchens open but I don't think they really fry any meats for the dishes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:50 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I've only had ramen once at Shizen, but loved it. Beyond that I am no ramen expert by any stretch of the imagination. This looks tempting, I'd like to try it! My only hesitation is the "7 types of nuts", the odds of one of those being peanuts seem really high to me! If not I'd love to try it, even if only once, because 45 minute waits for $18 dinners is not something I can handle very often!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 am 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I've only had ramen once at Shizen, but loved it. Beyond that I am no ramen expert by any stretch of the imagination. This looks tempting, I'd like to try it! My only hesitation is the "7 types of nuts", the odds of one of those being peanuts seem really high to me! If not I'd love to try it, even if only once, because 45 minute waits for $18 dinners is not something I can handle very often!

Yeah probably some peanuts in there, it was maybe a tablespoon of crushed nuts on top, would still be good without them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oh well if it's just on top and not part of the soup base, then I'll give it a go!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:23 pm 

Yeah I specifically asked if there was peanut in the broth and they said no, and that they could def make it without.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow. That looks good and I'm bummed that I can't have it. Tantanmen is Chinese dan dan mian (at its most simple, noodles with pickled mustard greens and sesame/chili sauce), ramen-ized. The ramen version uses chili oil and tahini in the broth, and it looks like this version is using the menma (fermented bamboo shoots) in place of the mustard greens.

Erika, I'll trade you my soy cream for your peanuts.