| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Berkeley- Kaffa Ethiopian Cuisine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:57 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

This place is tiny, bare-bones, adorable, and totally vegan. The injera is 100% teff, no wheat starter, so it's totally gluten free (I can't say the restaurant is gluten free because they have sambusas, and I'm pretty sure the wrapper for that uses wheat flour). There is one lady, who is totally someone's sweet grandma, running the whole show. Her food is great! I can't say it's the best I've ever had, but it definitely hit the spot for an Ethiopian craving and it's nice knowing it's totally vegan.

The menu is basically one plate- small, medium, or large- which is your standard veggie combo: red lentils, yellow lentils, potato/cabbage/carrot, and sauteed chopped greens. Except instead of collards she uses kale for the greens- it was delicious and cooked just right! You can also order potato or lentil sambusas, but I did read on Yelp that she sometimes has shiro wat that's not on the menu! It's reasonable prices for the area, I got a medium plate with a potato sambusa and it was around $14 after tax.

The vegan Ethiopian restaurant is across the street from the biodiesel filling station, which is officially the most Berkeley sentence I've ever typed since moving here 10 years ago. It's on Sacramento just north of the intersection with Ashby. I highly recommend it!

Post subject: Re: Berkeley- Kaffa Ethiopian Cuisine
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Intrigue! I'm always down to try a new Ethiopian place.