| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South Bay health food store?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just moved to Santa Clara and am looking for a nearby health food store or good produce market. There's both Whole Foods and Sprouts in town, but what's nearby that is a little... crunchier?

Basically I would love to find a smaller shop with bulk foods, alternative flours, interesting or organic produce. In Denmark I used to shop at a pretty small, friendly eco-shop, and many years ago in Berkeley at the Monterey Market. Anything similar in the South Bay?

Post subject: Re: South Bay health food store?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sadly there aren't really any smal mom and pop places in South Bay. I only know of two natural food stores in addition to Sprouts and Whole Foods--New Seasons in east San Jose (expensive chain) and Fremont Natural foods (more like what you want but it's pretty far from you).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:01 am 
Married to the wolfman

+1, there is really not much around here in terms of nice small local grocery chains. :/

Welcome to the area though!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I forgot. People are really obsessed with the Milk Pail in Mountain View. It's a cheap produce market, a bit too frenetic for my taste. You might want to check it out. You can stop at Veggie Grill for a bite afterwards since it's right next door.

And yes, welcome! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:19 am 
Nailed to the V

Country Sun in Palo Alto is a great little store. It's not too far from Milk Pail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:44 pm 

OK, thanks guys. I might try out Country Sun sometime. From the website, the Milk Pail seems like maybe not quite my thing.

I'm really just looking for the kind of place where you can run in and grab nooch and nut butter without having to trawl through a million aisles. We checked out the Santa Clara Produce Market the other day and it was underwhelming.

Headed up to Berkeley this weekend so I will just have to tank up there for now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

ScandinaVegan wrote:
OK, thanks guys. I might try out Country Sun sometime. From the website, the Milk Pail seems like maybe not quite my thing.

I'm really just looking for the kind of place where you can run in and grab nooch and nut butter without having to trawl through a million aisles. We checked out the Santa Clara Produce Market the other day and it was underwhelming.

Headed up to Berkeley this weekend so I will just have to tank up there for now.

If you are willing to go that far afield occasionally, I have loooots of recommendations in the Santa Cruz area (and of course Berkeley will have what you need)!

I say this begrudgingly, because I kinda hate shopping there, but Sprouts probably has the best in-town bulk bin selection. I've honestly just resigned myself to ordering most things I used to get in bulk (nooch! vital wheat gluten!) from amazon these days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:49 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
If you are willing to go that far afield occasionally, I have loooots of recommendations in the Santa Cruz area (and of course Berkeley will have what you need)!

I say this begrudgingly, because I kinda hate shopping there, but Sprouts probably has the best in-town bulk bin selection. I've honestly just resigned myself to ordering most things I used to get in bulk (nooch! vital wheat gluten!) from amazon these days.

Well, I would love to hear your Santa Cruz recommendations. This weekend we have a birthday party and a concert in Berkeley, so it's not like that will be a regular thing. But it's always fun to know the cool spots for when we go touristing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:11 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used to get bulk nooch at the Cupertino Whole Foods. Also bulk vital wheat gluten. I haven't been there since I moved out of Los Gatos so many that's not true anymore? I know it's not a super fun place to navigate but it's an alternative to mail order.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:59 am 
Married to the wolfman

Cupertino didn't have nooch last time I checked! But this was almost a year ago. Failure there was what kicked off mail ordering it! I pretty much never go to WF (it's inconvenient for me now because I don't drive), buuut can confirm the Cupertino WF is pretty standard and pretty good.

In Santa Cruz, you can't beat Staff of Life for bulk bin stuff, and also lots of other general vegan goodness. They even have a little coffee kiosk/seating area in front of the store where you can get a drink and a vegan donut.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:23 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

coldandsleepy wrote:
In Santa Cruz, you can't beat Staff of Life for bulk bin stuff, and also lots of other general vegan goodness. They even have a little coffee kiosk/seating area in front of the store where you can get a drink and a vegan donut.

Seconded! I don't get to SC very often but when I do I always hit up Staff of Life. They have a great vegan selection in both prepared foods and bakery!

If you're hitting Berkeley this weekend, Berkeley Bowl (either store) has a legendary produce section and a decent bulk section. There's also the Berkeley Farmer's Market downtown at Peace Plaza (also walking distance to Butcher's Son and Republic of V) till about 1 or 2.