| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Berkeley] Expanded vegan menu at Saturn Cafe!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:27 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Saturn Cafe has added more vegan options!

We went for breakfast this morning and while I was not blown away, it's definitely better than Herbivore and way more varied than Fellini. I had French Toast, which in contrast to Fellini's, did not require a chainsaw and/or steak knife, and a side of home fries with vegan ranch dressing. Pranjal had the pumpkin pancake special. The French toast was delicious, although I would probably order a half-order next time- it's only a dollar less, but I had two whole slices left on my plate today. Their home fries are more like potato wedges, a homefry style I don't like. I want that shiitake crispy and fried and bad for me in every conceivable way. The ranch is amazing, I've had it before with their fries and it's like Jesus cumming in your mouth. YEAH I SAID IT. Pranjal's pancakes were good but I think the batter needed more sugar.

They also have vegan huevos rancheros, a vegan breakfast burrito, banana walnut pancakes (yum!), and some kind of tofu scramble thing that sounds very similar to what Fellini has.

Plus they have a vegan cheeseburger now, plus taquitos (not sure if they're Flaco's, but I hope so!), and a few other additional vegan options.

So, yay! They listened to the vegans and gave us some more stuff. That's nice of them. Next time I go back I am definitely ordering a Buck Rogers burger with fries and that amazing ranch sauce and I am going to be a disgusting pig and I don't care who knows it.

Post subject: Re: [Berkeley] Expanded vegan menu at Saturn Cafe!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:39 am 
Tofu Pup

Why everybody be hatin' on the Fellini? Except, I think I only ate there once after it changed hands, so maybe it went really really downhill? If Saturn Cafe had opened when I was still living there, I probably would never have left. At least I have Wayward.

The only thing I can ever think to say about Herbivore is limp salad in acidic vinaigrette. Meh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

oh I just super-duper-triple-flip hope they'll expand the menu in SC too. I would probably cry with joy if there was somewhere here to go out for vegan pancakes or french toast. CRY.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yay for them! I just remember how forking delicious that vegan ranch was.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

ameyfm wrote:
oh I just super-duper-triple-flip hope they'll expand the menu in SC too. I would probably cry with joy if there was somewhere here to go out for vegan pancakes or french toast. CRY.

Amey! The website says they have this new vegan stuff at the SC one too!

I might have to make a scouting mission and report back. I haven't been to the Saturn in like a year because I felt like their vegan options were dwindling, and because they took the riblet off of the sandwich I liked.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

YES!! Finally! Now I'm actually inspired to go there again!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

warriortwo wrote:
Why everybody be hatin' on the Fellini? Except, I think I only ate there once after it changed hands, so maybe it went really really downhill?

Pretty much this. The new owner went through a phase where he experimented with the breakfast menu a lot. First the portions got tiny, then they changed the potatoes (which were one of the best things about the whole menu). Now they've sort of stabilized but honestly I'm kind of sick of having two options every time I go there: a huge pile of tofu and carbs OR a huge pile of carbs that you have to cut with a steak knife. I'm not saying I don't love tofu and carbs, but I've developed a soy sensitivity, and sometimes you want more than toast and potatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:26 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oooo baybeeeeh! I went to Saturn Cafe today (yes, I trotted through the rain today). Never been there, and I'm so happy I finally went. I had the yummy pumpkin pancakes (they even serve them with some Earth Balance! And REAL maple syrup!!!) and the BF had a deeeelish California burger. The skinny fries there are awesome - but I do agree that the steak fries are too big/not as good as the skinny ones. If I weren't planning on getting a Cinnaholic roll after lunch, I would have gotten the vegan cheeseburger and more fries... :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh yeah, and shouldn't this be moved to the new Bay Area sub-forum? :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

CNA wrote:
Oooo baybeeeeh! I went to Saturn Cafe today (yes, I trotted through the rain today). Never been there, and I'm so happy I finally went. I had the yummy pumpkin pancakes (they even serve them with some Earth Balance! And REAL maple syrup!!!) and the BF had a deeeelish California burger. The skinny fries there are awesome - but I do agree that the steak fries are too big/not as good as the skinny ones. If I weren't planning on getting a Cinnaholic roll after lunch, I would have gotten the vegan cheeseburger and more fries... :)

My husband feels exactly the opposite way... he could marry those steak fries. (Back off fries, he's taken.)

I reeeeeally really really want to go eat there again now. It's not going to happen this week, but maybe next week.

Also, Cinnaholic. You people make me so jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

ATTN Santa Cruz people! Rumors are true. The Saturn in SC has the expanded menu too.

I was so flustered by all the options that I just got the vegan cheezburger. Could not ascertain what type of vegan cheeze it had on it. (Like, what brand. Flavor was "jack.") The ranch dip is really freaking good. Oh Saturn, I've missed you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

The pumpkin pancakes are amazingly good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hearing this made my day! I've always been disappointed by the vegan brunch options at the SC location.....and it's practically impossible to find vegan pancakes at normal restaurants (I've never found any). Woohoo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

couroupita wrote:
Hearing this made my day! I've always been disappointed by the vegan brunch options at the SC location.....and it's practically impossible to find vegan pancakes at normal restaurants (I've never found any). Woohoo!

St. Francis Fountain has vegan pancakes in a couple varieties as well!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jordanpattern wrote:
couroupita wrote:

St. Francis Fountain has vegan pancakes in a couple varieties as well!

Thanks I will have to check them out!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Woo!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 am 

WHOA. ameyfm and I had the pumpkin french toast at the Santa Cruz location, and it was incredible. They say the recipes are the same as in Berkeley, so go get some pumpkin french toast! Seriously SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm totally eating brunch here this weekend! I'm seriously going to have the most ridiculous EATFEST 2010 for a week in Oakland/SF/Berkeley. I can't wait!!! I'm not a fan of French toast usually, but the BF is crazy about it. I can almost guarantee that he will order this and I'll get to try it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 am 
Saggy Butt

I was impressed with the regular french toast I had at the SC location a couple weeks ago.

I wouldn't order the quesadilla again -- I'm not sure what kind of cheese they use but I think I miss the funky tofu stuff they used to use.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:29 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Had brunch there today. It was totally dead in there!! and we were there at prime brunch time!

we got the vegan appetizer platter to start out with (not terribly impressed - it's mostly fries (garlic / sweet potato), with a few chips and salsa and two pretty good taquitos. Good, but not really that creative for an appetizer. I had the tofu ranchero, which was good; the BF had the pumpkin pancakes which were my favorite thing. No pumpkin French toast on the menu this week! :(

We heard about the Saturn Groupon that is available today ($10 for $20 worth of food) and bought it en route to the place.... but it didn't come thru until after we left. LAME...

Anyway, I'd definitely go back -- i'm tempted by those milkshakes and saw some interesting looking non-breakfast food that looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:36 am 
Tofu Pup

when did fellini change ownership? I haven't been in a few months. is it recent? I've never had a problem with their french toast needing a saw (children are ordering this, mind you. I guess they're kind of rough on their food but they certainly don't require saws). when I went before, I always had great experience with the owner/manager or whoever that guy was who was around.

I also can't tell from saturn's online menu that any of the pancakes or french toast is vegan.

thanks for your info!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 am 

When we went (in Santa Cruz), there was specials sheet that contained the pumpkin french toast and pumpkin pancakes, all clearly marked as vegan. They said that they were recipes shared with the "new" Berkeley locations, so hopefully they'll have 'em, but I don't know how often they rotate the specials.

I want that pumpkin french toast so badly right now!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

honeyless wrote:
when did fellini change ownership?

It was in 2008, I think

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 am 
Tofu Pup

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Plus they have a vegan cheeseburger now, plus taquitos (not sure if they're Flaco's, but I hope so!), and a few other additional vegan options.

Hey, the Saturn Cafe taquitos definitely aren't Flacos. I'm into both, but just for clarity's sake, they're different. I'd personally go for Flacos before Saturn's, if given the option.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

2muchHC4breakfast wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Hey, the Saturn Cafe taquitos definitely aren't Flacos. I'm into both, but just for clarity's sake, they're different. I'd personally go for Flacos before Saturn's, if given the option.

i think they're just that packaged vegan brand you can get at Rainbow or whole foods.