| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shizen Vegan Sushi Bar and Izakaya
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:54 am 
Smuggling Raisins

New place in the Mission by the Tataki folks. My best friend's very omnivore son went last night and raved. Anyone been? I can't find a menu online.

Post subject: Re: Shizen Vegan Sushi Bar and Izakaya
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:01 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

This is the first I've heard of it! I looked it up on Yelp and it looks like a beautiful space. I'll have to try it out sometime!

BTW it looks like it's on 14th between Mission and Valencia for those interested.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:50 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

A friend sent me an email about it. I can't find a menu either! It doesn't seem to have a website, even...?

I really want to go, though. Lots of rave omni reviews.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I found the menu! I can't wait to try this.

http://static.urbandaddy.com/uploads/as ... 8f7279953f

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:38 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Nice internetting! I've never had ramen, I really want to try it. The small dishes look incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Well, the grand opening is tonight and my date (my daughter) has the flu! I can't wait to read some reviews now that the soft opening is over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:50 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I had an extra hour at 6pm last night and squeezed in for a quick dinner while it was still quiet! OMG this place is so beautiful. Even if the food wasn't amazing (which it is), the ambience alone is gorgeous.

I ordered a bit light- I had a miso soup, agedashi tofu, and a "butler's key" roll. Presentation was absolutely gorgeous and the ingredients were high-quality. I have to say I did not enjoy the roll, but I think it was more a matter of personal taste than it being bad food- it's a bit Betty Crocker-ish, both in look and taste (it's got ham & pineapple and while the idea was novel I wasn't crazy about how it turned out). I am definitely coming back to try other rolls though- I chickened out on ordering The Candlestick roll, but definitely will when I go back with someone, because it's served on a plate THAT IS ALSO ON FIRE.

I wanted to clarify, because the online menu is a bit confusing, that yes, this restaurant is 100% vegan. The 'crab' meat and the 'egg' in the ramen bowls are totally plant-based.

Prices were sort of high-ish (the above-mentioned food and a beer totaled $26 before tip), but considering that this is a brand new restaurant with gorgeous interior, high-quality ingredients, and a great location, I found the prices very competitive, especially for the Mission.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:27 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Went with my two best friends tonight. It was insanely delicious and we killed it.

Started off with vegetable tempura, shishito peppers and a cold eggplant dish. Super good. We ordered another plate of vegetable tempura. Then we got the spicy garlic ramen and wow. I get why people love ramen. It was seriously incredible. I would eat that on the regular if they were open for lunch. We also got miso soup, a few simple rolls like avocado and shittake and a sweet potato tempura roll. We really put away some tempura tonight. We got two special rolls, one where they all look the same but one is supposed to be super spicy and if you get the spicy one you take a shot of sake. That was fun though we didn't realize which one was the spicy one until it was all over and it was actually one of the first bites. It was not at all spicy but it was entertaining. Then we got The Candlestick which is served on a fiery plate. Always a crowd pleaser.

We ate so much food and drank a ton of sake. We really had a great time. We got there at 5:30 (it opens at 5) and had to wait for a table. It's slamming busy. Highly recommend and will go again.