| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Down the Shore"
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:47 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm from the West Coast, so I'm really unfamiliar with NJ and other close by beaches (as we call them out West). My Husband will be working in Avalon next week. What's to do and eat around there?

Also, can anyone recommend decent beaches that are family friendly and generally void of mass crowds, if possible?

Post subject: Re: "Down the Shore"
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Check out our NJ thread!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:09 am 

Hmm, thanks. That's a lot to go though. I just want to know about the Shore!!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wish I could be of more help, but I don't go east of the Delaware River. If it's of any consequence, it's probably not crowded yet because (I believe) the Philly and NYC school districts are not out 'til June. Memorial Day probably draws a crowd, but maybe it won't be too bad until the weekend?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:56 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Avalon has a great beach, you can also check out stone harbor which is close ... shopping on 96st - sea isle city is a little north, SOuth islands--- wildwood (which i grew up at for the summers) has big beaches and a huge board walk, and Cape may for some victorian fun, boardwalk, washington st mall, Cape may light house, diamond beach at cape may point. Cape may zoo offshore close to you in lower township. I love the jersey shore. It won't be too crowded yet during the week- MDW may be a little since its the official summer kick off.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm 

Thanks for the tips! As I mentioned before, my Husband will be working there this week so I just wanted to see what might be fun for him to check out. I'm definitely looking for smaller beach areas to spend time with the kids at. I'm not used to boardwalk (We don't have those in Oregon!) or crowded beaches either!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The Jersey Shore is a whole world in itself. I lived in Wildwood for a few years and spent summers there for a long time. My uncle owns a home in Ocean City.

Wildwood = Rides, games, food, free beaches, and a crazy wild crowded good time. Lots of hotels and bars!

Ocean City = Quiet, Its a dry town so no crazy drunkiness for the most part, it does have a boardwalk but the rides are more kid friendly, still good food but a more subdued shore experience. You need to pay for beach tags for the beaches here. Which basically just gets you access, its a private beach. I think they have day rates, but most of the people who have a home here buy a whole season.

I have been to all of the shore towns at one point or another. But those are the only two that I go to for vacation or fun. Outside of some shopping there isn't much offered at the others. They are more residential places or if you were going to rent a place for the week and wanted peace and quiet they would be good.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Sounds like northern jersey shore, where I was born and raised has way better food options. Pt. Pleasant and Brick, Belmar, Asbury Park, all great beach towns with great veg options.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 am 
Hip Goiter

My aunt has a house at Margate/Ventnor. It's boring.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 am 
Huffs Nooch

I grew up on Long Beach Island. It's touristy and lame. There are some vegan options in the area. Living on the Veg in Beach Haven is your best bet by a mile. I know that the Octopus's Garden over the bridge in Manahawkin/Mayetta (on Route 9, head South from 72) has a vegan section of the menu and is attentive to gluten concerns as well. I haven't checked it out. I had my wedding reception at The Gables, and they do a good accommodation (best with advance notice) if you're looking for a fancier option.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

anything good to eat around wildwood?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Eric. wrote:
anything good to eat around wildwood?

Food-wise, Wildwood is tough, had the hardest time eating there 2 years ago as a vegetarian, now I have no idea what I would do except maybe pack a picnic...I remember a place called Juan Pablos that had lots of veggie options for tacos/burritos/etc. There is also a new-ish place called Bella Vida Garden Cafe that has tempeh and veggie burgers.

Bashful Bananas in Ocean City is really easy, they have tons of veggie sandwiches, banana whip, vegan muffins, vegan smoothies (the algae smoothie!).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

thanks for the ideas. ended up just packing a bag with a few things and ate a bunch of this and that. wildwood does seem tough though, unless you wanted fried non-sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm 
Hip Goiter

onthevedge wrote:
Bashful Banana in Ocean City is really easy, they have tons of veggie sandwiches, banana whip, vegan muffins, vegan smoothies (the algae smoothie!).

I totally grew up since age 5 on Bashful Banana! We stayed in the building right on that block when I was little. And now we go every time we are down the shore (not in Ocean City).

Speaking of, I have to go to aunt's house in Ventnor/Margate this weekend. I get to just go to a different place to sit with my computer and work all day. Sigh.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Anyone have any more ideas for ocean city?

We found an Omni place called sechuan garden but hadn't gone there yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm 

did not go to sechuan garden.

we did however go to the bistro at carolines by the bay. (you know how it is when you're with 10 other family members)
450 Bay Avenue, Somers Point, NJ

there's a 1 star review, but i was pretty happy with what they were able to provide us. there was a ridiculously garlicy veggie-filled pasta and a cheeseless pizza. the crust was fantastic! it was fluffy but it had a perfect crispness too. i rarely ever eat the crusts that don't have any sauce or anything, but this was very good.

it turns out that bashful banana on the boardwalk (between 9th & 10th) does list things that are vegan on the menu and in the bakery case. unfortunately, they consider honey to be vegan. :-/ also, between 11:30 and 3:00, there are few vegan options (because that's when neither brunch nor dinner is offered, and the lunch menu is rather sparse in the vegan arena.) the meatball sub is okay. the sauce isn't all that spicy (actually nothing that we tasted has much spice) it was mostly grains, but at least they were cooked well.

we went back to try the paella. this was also mostly grains and pretty oily, but if you like the flavor of wine, this is your dish. it's not tomatoey like most paellas i've come across. they give you a free basket of bruschetta with each entree, and if you go between 3 & 5, you also get a salad (i hope i read that correctly that you'd get it in addition to the bruschetta)

most the baked goods are meh. the brownie is like cake, the carrot muffin is ridiculously dense (and there's hardly any carrot in there) the duffin (donut muffin) isn't terrible, but obviously it's baked. the good thing is that it has a gooey part (i don't know if it's intentional, but it was nice.) the death by chocolate cupcake was good. it seemed like a basic wacky cake with ganache. the strawberry shortcake cupcake was good. mr. carrot thought it was too sweet, but i liked it.

we walked by serendipity bed and breakfast (on 9th between the boardwalk and ocean) and saw that they have their tea room open to the public between 2 and 4 i think. (only on certain days. wednesday, thursday and i think saturday and sunday?) we saw that just before we were leaving, so we didn't get a chance to try it out.

chickie's & pete's crab fries are apparently vegan. (they're cooked in their own fryer.) but they don't have a squirter for the ketchup, so they gave us packets. :-/ i'm not a fan of them. they seem really spongey, as if they were made from potato flakes or were frozen. the spice they put on them were really great, but if it's just old bay seasoning, then curly's has that available

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am 

Heading to the shore with my family next week, Ocean City to be exact. I'm definitely going to need to check out the Bashful Banana. I always loved kohrs custard, so hopefully the banana whip will hold me over when water ice doesn't hit the spot.

Anything else there that I should check out?

Also, does anyone know if their grocery stores have a good selection of vegan convenience foods? Our shore house has a tiny kitchen (including no a/c) and with a ridiculous amount of family members there, I won't be able to cook full meals for myself, but can always heat up ready made stuff to add to whatever my grandmother is making us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 am 

if i remember correctly, there's a shop rite, and they have a suitable selection.
there's also a little health food store a little ways out that has some good options.

we're gonna be out there next month (21-24 if anyone else will be there too. we can meet up if you like.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:50 pm 
Hip Goiter

Seriously just get all your food at BB :) I love it!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ocean city rules simply because it contains the Bashful Banana. My favorite banana whip combo is topped with strawberries and all-fruit chocolate sauce. So good! I had one on Saturday and it was simply dreamy. I almost got a second one, actually... The Bashful Banana also has a few vegan food items that are OK. Hey, it's better than french fries, which are pretty much the only other vegan thing in Ocean City.

My favorite beach town is Cape May, though. It is cute and precious, and there is even a bit to eat. There is a falafel and juice stand in the Akroteria (food court by the beach), a coffee shop called Higher Grounds with a few (expensive) vegan sandwiches (warning: they used to be all-vegetarian, but I heard they've added some meat to the menu), a taco place next to the coffee shop, Gecko's has some vegan dishes for dinner, a bakery called Cay May Bakers (they have 2-3 vegan things available--it is nice to be able to have a treat!), and apparently a new ice cream place called Bliss does a vegan coconut milk ice cream! So excited to try Bliss!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

My vegan friend just opened a restaurant with his pa in May's Landing (one town over from OCNJ). It's called Main Street American Cafe. So far he has vegan pancakes & a homemade vegan burger on the menu. It's pretty wonderful & I highly recommend it !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 pm 

Thanks everyone. I'm very excited to try this banana whip stuff. I will probably visit family friends in Stone Harbor one day (wing night minus the wings), but don't think I'll get to Cape May. Maybe next time.

Supercarrot: looks like I'll miss you. I'm just there for the week of the 4th of July, then back to Chicago I go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 pm 

banana whips = deliciousness

My husband decided he would like them more if he didn't have to watch them prepare them. I agree that it isn't the most attractive assembly. I didn't end up eating anything else at BB since I only went that far down the boardwalk at night. Hopefully their customer service is better during other times. Nothing like a line of 10 people waiting for their dessert while 1 person made the banana whips and 5 other employees hung around watching her. I guess with only one of those machines they can't really speed up the process too greatly.

I did score both coconut milk yogurt and soy yogurt at the Superfresh, and some Amy's meals, but yikes the mark-up on Amys was ridiculous. I made quinoa & black bean burgers one night, and had a lot of PB&Js for lunch on the beach. Very sad that all those homemade ice cream places don't have nondairy ice creams, not as much fun when you have to go to a different spot than the rest of the family.

Still a fun week with the family regardless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I had no idea about banana whips in OC! I usually get polish water ice because it's vegan and creamy/delicious but I'm always up for more frozen treats.

Quote:
Higher Ground

There is a coffee shop named after a Stevie Wonder song with vegan food?? Hell, I'm there.

Quote:
Food-wise, Wildwood is tough, had the hardest time eating there 2 years ago as a vegetarian, now I have no idea what I would do except maybe pack a picnic...I remember a place called Juan Pablos that had lots of veggie options for tacos/burritos/etc. There is also a new-ish place called Bella Vida Garden Cafe that has tempeh and veggie burgers.

Wildwood is where I usually end up, and this will be my first summer there as a vegan so I'm kind of worried. I've had veggie burgers at the retro-diner place on the board walk but I'm not sure what's in them or how they cook them.

Surprisingly enough there is a vegan pizza place in somewhere in Atlantic City. I called them once when I was going to go, but I never ordered anything because I would be the only one out of my group who would eat there. Anyone been?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 pm 
Hip Goiter

^ What's it called?

Laughfrodisiac