| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Produce, Weekly Meal Planning & More
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This is for you Luftpost!

So, where does everyone get their produce from? And what are you making with it?

Yesterday I went to Whole Foods and stocked up on lots of produce. My husband and I are starting The Engine 2 Diet today and it requires a lot of produce. I try to buy Local and Organic whenever possible. But this also means a big hit on my wallet. But to give you an idea this is what I'll be eating this week.

Breakfast (Mon-Friday)
A fruit and veg smoothie with blueberries (frozen & fresh), banana (frozen), strawberries (frozen), baby spinach (fresh), soy protein powder, flaxseed meal, agave nectar, vanilla soy creamer, physillum husks, and water.

Breakfast (Saturday)
Oatmeal with walnuts, raisins, flaxseed meal, brown sugar, cinnamon

Breakfast (Sunday)
Spelt Blueberry pancakes

Snack
Fruit or nuts

Lunch (Mon-Friday)
Whole wheat pita stuffed with hummus, baby spinach, red onion, tomato, basil, coleslaw mix

Lunch (Sat-Sun)
Big Salad

Snack
Soy Yogurt

Dinner (all from the E2 book)
Mon- Red Beans over Quinoa with Kale
Tues- Roasted Bell Peppers, Baked Sweet Potatoes, and Galloping Greens with Cashew Sauce
Wed- Tofu Steaks with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
Thurs- Cravotta's Couscous with Tomatoes and Asparagus
Friday- Mushroom Stroganoff
Sat- Tacos
Sun- Pizza

Snack
Fruit

If I remember to take pictures I will def share and I will let everyone know how the food is too! Let me know if you want a recipe for any of this. The E2 website has some of the recipes that the book has too. http://www.managercomplete.com/engine2/recipes.aspx

Post subject: Re: Produce, Weekly Meal Planning & More
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I primarily do my produce shopping between the Clark Park farmer's market, Mariposa Co-op, sometimes Trader Joes, sometimes Whole Foods, sometimes Greensgrow Farmer's Market. I'd also like to try to get to Headhouse Farmer's Market soon too.

This week, I am working with:
2 bunches of org. Red Russian Kale
1 huge bunch of scallions
1 pretty bunch of chives with the little chive flowers in them too!
3/4 lb. of asparagus
BEAUTIFUL green beans that are like 10-12 inches EACH BEAN
2 hydroponic tomatoes
head of green leaf lettuce
rhubarb
1 quart (from NJ) + 1 pint (from greensgrow) of the most beautiful strawberries
baby beet greens (sooo lovely)
lb. of spinach
golden delicious apples
brocolli

all local and mostly organic for about $35.

Breakfast (M-F) green smoothies with red russian kale, spinach, Whole Soy plain, unsweetened soy yogurt, frozen strawberries or raspberries, pineapple, and mango, Amazing Grass chocolate Superfood powder, 2 scoops of my personal mix of chia, flax and hemp seeds, water, a fresh banana. I put about 4 cups of greens in my smoothies, no joke.

Yesterday I made spelt strawberry pancakes for breakfast.

Lunch (M-F) for my tight-scheduled days - Tofurkey sandwich on TJ's 100 cal multigrain sandwich bread, with reduced fat veganaise (found this in Whole foods in red bank!) and relish, tortilla chips and carrot sticks as a side. Now that I am getting free romaine from Randi, I will make salads with spiralized zuchini, shredded carrots and baby beet greens with homemade dressing.

Snack apples maybe some yogurt

Dinner
Sunday: buffalo tempeh, with leftover tzaziki sauce, garlic collards and roasted potatoes and chives. Farmer's market strawberry rhubarb crisp for desert
Monday: polenta rounds with sauteed red russian kale, asparagus, and garlic seared seitan
Tuesday: chickpea picatta over baby beet greens and mashed taters
Wednesday: tacos or enchiladas of some sort with veggie chorizo and fresh salsa
Thursday: mango bbq beans with something (rice or yuca) and whatever fresh greens I have leftover
Friday: probably my crockpot mixed daal made with 5 different lentils (chana, urad, toor, red lentil, mung) and jeera rice and maybe some saag dish.
Saturday: out for dinner.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vegans eat well!! :o)

I need a Vitamix ASAP!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm 

I have a Blendtec, which I like better - no need for a dry and wet carafe, no need for one of those stick jawns to move things around, programmable settings, led display and cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a regular old blender now. It's ok, does the job most of the time. But it may just be time to upgrade! I'll check that out, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:41 pm 

I get 95% of my produce at Iovine's at Reading Terminal Market. Once in a while when I'm in the mood for an Asian-y stir fry I'll get stuff from a little produce place on my block. I am not as planned out as you guys! We go about once a week and I usually get stuff for 1 or 2 recipes, but the bulk is staples that we always get (kale/collards, spinach, cauliflower/broccoli, bananas) and dollar bags (contents vary based on what's abundant, but they usually have good stuff).

Now that it's watermelon season we will get 3-4 watermelons every time we go to Reading, or pass a neighborhood produce store that has them for a good price...because my bf is addicted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had planned to update this weekly with my eats, but as typical life got in the way. So to catch up, I made...

Raise the Roof Sweet Potato Lasagna and Meatloaf from the Engine 2 Diet book. Both were excellent! The lasagna was pretty amazing. It has so much stuff in it and the layer of sweet potatoes (which sounds weird) was delish. We ate it all weekend. Oh, and I made French Toast and Oatmeal Raisin cookies from the E2 book as well.

Also, I just took a swing past the Farmers Market at Rittenhouse Square. I bought 3 zucchini, and 2 bunches of asparagus for 9 bucks. Good or bad? I'm not sure, but I am looking forward to swinging back there weekly for some fresh fruit. The website says that the fruit will change throughout the summer. Starting with strawberries and then various other fruits and ending with watermelon at the end of the summer.

http://www.farmtocity.org/FarmersMarkets.asp