| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2601
Location: England
I won't leave Philly without experiencing a cheesesteak so where am I likely to find the best one? I see they have them at Blackbird's and we'll probably go there during our trip anyway. But is there a brilliant one I need to get?

Plus, our hotel seems to be quite near to a chunk of chinese vegetarian places. Do any of them stand out?

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:12 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:25 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Philadelphia
New Harmony vegetarian is the ONLY vegan chinese place worth going to, in my opinion. They have by far the best chinese food in the city and the nicest real vegan owners too. They also have a nice all you can eat $12 sunday dinner buffet.

As far as cheesesteaks go, blackbirds is okay - I think they have a high bread to seitan ratio. Govindas chicken cheesesteak is definitely worth getting, Thursday is a good day to go here because VeganTreats (our semi local vegan bakery) delivers this day. That actually applies to everywhere in the city, Thursday means fresh vegan pastries. There are also a number of gastropubs scattered around with cheesesteaks but its hard to find one that has vegan cheese. Off the top of my head, Monk's, the POPE, the Abbaye, and I think the Belgian Cafe have these sandwiches too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 am
Posts: 305
Teri's has a pretty good vegan cheesesteak. I like Blackbird's a lot, too. I haven't had Govinda's chicken cheesesteak in a while but it's worth getting, for sure


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:48 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8195
Location: Philly/London
Definitely Govinda's for chicken cheesesteak and Vegan Treats choc pb bomb, cinnamon buns, donuts, &c. When are you coming again? When can we meet!

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:42 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 642
Location: Pennsyltucky
xstartxtodayx wrote:
New Harmony vegetarian is the ONLY vegan chinese place worth going to, in my opinion. They have by far the best chinese food in the city and the nicest real vegan owners too. They also have a nice all you can eat $12 sunday dinner buffet.

As far as cheesesteaks go, blackbirds is okay - I think they have a high bread to seitan ratio. Govindas chicken cheesesteak is definitely worth getting, Thursday is a good day to go here because VeganTreats (our semi local vegan bakery) delivers this day. That actually applies to everywhere in the city, Thursday means fresh vegan pastries. There are also a number of gastropubs scattered around with cheesesteaks but its hard to find one that has vegan cheese. Off the top of my head, Monk's, the POPE, the Abbaye, and I think the Belgian Cafe have these sandwiches too.

All of this! New Harmony is great and the owner is lovely. And make sure you get the chicken cheesesteak at Govinda's, not the regular peppersteak- the latter has gross gelatinous things in it and I've heard (??) it's not even vegan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:21 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2601
Location: England
RandiJM wrote:
Definitely Govinda's for chicken cheesesteak and Vegan Treats choc pb bomb, cinnamon buns, donuts, &c. When are you coming again? When can we meet!


I hate to break this to people, but I don't like sweets.

We'll be there 22nd - 25th June!

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 709
Location: philly.
never been a huge fan of most of the cheesesteaks. and im a little scared of govindas but i need to give them another chance.

if you like beer as well there are plenty of gastropubs with good beer and an excellent vegan option or two. but they are spread around the city a bit.

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Online
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
The chicken cheesesteak at Govindas is devine! Just make sure you tell them you want vegan cheese and mayo. It is creamy and yummy with green peppers and onions.

Their chimichanga or burrito (can't remember what its called) is excellent as well. HUGE, and has a great flavor. You can get the vegan chicken added to it if you want.

You don't like sweets!! No words......

Not sure if you'll have time or feel like venturing out of the city. But, I highly suggest a trip to New Hope and eating at Spring & Vine.

http://www.sprigandvine.com/

http://www.newhopepa.com/


Ooooh, and I know you have a ton of mega old churches in England. But you should stop at Christ's church if you are going to be in and around Old City. It is so special and full of Philadelphia History. Its free (they ask for donations) and there is someone to give you a tour and tell you all about it.

http://www.christchurchphila.org/

I kind of want to take off of work the week your going to be here to show you around! So exciting!

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 440
Location: The 215
Dynahmite wrote:
All of this!
This.

Frankly, I'm sick of telling tourists what to order while in line at Govindas. Actually, I'm never really sick of bossing people around. But there's not really an option: Govindas Chicken Cheesesteak, but DO explicitly ask it to be vegan or you get cheese and mayo and guilt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 440
Location: The 215
_diana wrote:
Teri's has a pretty good vegan cheesesteak.

I think Teri's is a bit underrated. When they have the vegan tuna salad it's like winning a mini lottery, and vegan cowgirl tots? Delish. And yeah, I also like their v-steak.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 am 
Online
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
I really want to stress that Govinda's chicken cheesesteak is nothing like a traditional Philly Cheesesteak! And honestly there isn't a vegan cheesesteak in Philly that comes close to being like the original. I'm not saying you should get a real one, but in my opinion there really isn't a point in sourcing out a vegan version cause they will all miss the mark.

Blackbirds was ok, but no where near being close to a real Philly cheesesteak.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 440
Location: The 215
GraciaKai wrote:
And honestly there isn't a vegan cheesesteak in Philly that comes close to being like the original. I'm not saying you should get a real one, but in my opinion there really isn't a point in sourcing out a vegan version cause they will all miss the mark.

Agreed on all counts.

The biggest difference, I imagine, is that after a Govinda's or Blackbird sandwich, you don't feel like you rubbed the sandwich all over your face. (hat-tip to Jim Gaffigan.) If any of them (at least among the ones I like) come close to duplicating the wonderful greasiness of a cheesesteak it's Teri's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm 
Online
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
philadelphegan wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
And honestly there isn't a vegan cheesesteak in Philly that comes close to being like the original. I'm not saying you should get a real one, but in my opinion there really isn't a point in sourcing out a vegan version cause they will all miss the mark.

Agreed on all counts.

The biggest difference, I imagine, is that after a Govinda's or Blackbird sandwich, you don't feel like you rubbed the sandwich all over your face. (hat-tip to Jim Gaffigan.) If any of them (at least among the ones I like) come close to duplicating the wonderful greasiness of a cheesesteak it's Teri's.

I've never had Teri's, but I'd willing to try it.

So um, since we are on the topic. Why are their no vegan whiz wit's? I mean if your gonna try and veganize something that classic at least try and do it proper!

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 440
Location: The 215
GraciaKai wrote:
So um, since we are on the topic. Why are their no vegan whiz wit's? I mean if your gonna try and veganize something that classic at least try and do it proper!
I imagine the harder part is the whiz, right? I mean, the meatstuff is just a matter of preparing correctly some kind of strip-steak style gluten, and the "wit" part is just a matter of saying the word correctly. The goo that the whiz contributes might be hard to approximate. But I'm not the foodcooking type, so what do I know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 pm 
Online
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
I want a Whiz Wit damnit!

Or

A cheese steak sub. Lettuce (shredded), tomato, and mayo.

Or

Fried onions, mushrooms, and mayo.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8195
Location: Philly/London
Efcliz wrote:
I hate to break this to people, but I don't like sweets.

Oh...my. Well. I don't know how to talk to you.
:P

philadelphegan wrote:
[after a Govinda's or Blackbird sandwich, you don't feel like you rubbed the sandwich all over your face. (hat-tip to Jim Gaffigan.)


Quoting the incredible Jim Gaffigan is a surefire way to get into my pants to be my friend.

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 709
Location: philly.
homeslice does a vegan "whiz"

but ill say ive had their "chicken" cheesesteak and it wasnt great.

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The best chinese and philly cheesesteak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 440
Location: The 215
RandiJM wrote:
Quoting the incredible Jim Gaffigan is a surefire way to get into my pants to be my friend.
So if I told you I can recite "Beyond the Pale" from memory, that would be assault a friendly gesture? That's good to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer