| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rangoon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Holy cow! Do you all know about this place? It's a Burmese restaurant called Rangoon and it's at 9th and Cherry. It's not all veg, but everything that looks like it's vegan actually is, and the food is amaaaaaaaaaaazing. My friend and I went there this evening for dinner and had pumpkin soup and onion-pea soup (which sounds gross but was actually way awesome) and these crazy fried lentil cakes (stuffed with jalapenos!) and coconut curry tofu with veggies and (THIS WAS THE BEST PART) green beans and tofu in this orgasmically spicy gingerygarlic sauce. It's a little on the pricey side (for me at least) but it is totally worth it (and I do NOT say things like that lightly!)

Post subject: Re: Rangoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:47 am 
Huffs Nooch

I went there frequently when I was an undergrad (at Haverford). It was always a treat after a hard paper or exam. The food was always amazing, and they were really clear about what was in what (I was lacto-ovo at the time, but aspiring to vegan). I miss that place!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I like Rangoon a lot. My only issues are the portion size (esp. for the price) and the fact that last time I was there, they brought out our food, I swear, not 90 seconds after we ordered. It was super tasty, but I wonder if stuff just sits there in the kitchen...?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:22 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yeah I like it but cq you must turn back now and get the whatsitcalled salad (Elli you know! I think) that is amaaaazing. It's like magic salad with weird crepe in it that comes together nicely. Teacup salad? No...tea leaf? Palm reader?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 am 

I'm pretty sure I'll be in the city at least two days next week. We could meet up there and get the ouija board salad. I'll let you know when I know which days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am 

I'll be around Wednesday and/or Thursday (6/15 and 6/16)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:53 pm 
Hip Goiter

:( I don't think I can get to Chinatown during the week unless you want to eat at like 10pm (which I do not) so I hope you get to go with a cooler PPKer!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:47 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
I hope you get to go with a cooler PPKer!

Ahem. I might be able to do Thursday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:36 pm 

Inspired by this thread, and the sheer fact that I have been passing this place for the past 5 years or so on my way to New Harmony (was going to Kingdom before that) I finally went here for lunch today with some co-workers. The menu sounds so amazing and there are so many veg options. I had the tofu mint kebabs lunch special with the plain-as-day mini salad with sesame dressing. The tofu mint kebabs were really awesome, really good flavorful sauce. I am stoked to try the pumpkin soup. The waiter told me that the onion-pea soup jawn had chicken broth but the pumpkin soup was vegetarian, I will have to inquire again though. I will definitely go back, because there are simply so many things I want to try.

And Dynah- you are right, I think they prepare a lot of things beforehand. I asked if they can give me the veggie fried rice without the egg and they said no because it was already made. Bummer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:10 am 

I have to leave before dinner on Thursday but we could do lunch!