| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Abbaye
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I saw this on twitter, but on February 4th at 4pm, is the 2nd annual vegan wing bowl at The Abbaye.

I don't know many details, but Eric. and I went last year and it was a lot of fun, he even got 3rd place! I think he paid $20 for all you could drink/all you could eat wings.

Perhaps it could be our next meet-up?

Post subject: Re: The Abbaye
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I will gladly not eat all day just so I can eat the shitaake out of those vegan wings. $20 isn't really all that bad when you consider a single order is like $9. Count me in, I might even sneak in some vegan ranch haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 pm 

Ooh, definitely interested in doing this as a meetup!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I will absolutely rock this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

They posted some more info on their facebook page.

WHERE:
The Abbaye
3rd and Fairmount
Philadelphia, PA

WHEN:
Saturday, February 4, 2012. (Doors at 3pm. First wing at 4pm.)
General admission: Free
Competitor Registration: $20
All competitors receive a commemorative Vegan Wing Bowl t-shirt and unlimited beer (or soda!) and wings.

Non-competitors will enjoy the spectacle with delicious $2 Cricket Hill drafts, $2 off wing specials and Philly Roller Girls on the flat-screens! The resident DJ will provide jams, plus awesome Abbaye and Philly Roller Girls merch will be available for sale.

HOW:
Register today by calling the Abbaye at 215.627.6711. Registration must be paid in full by 2pm on Saturday, February 4th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/3195941 ... ent_invite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

I might be able to make this. I'm wondering, as far as competing goes, anybody have an idea (ballpark) how many the winner last year jammed in his face in the 2 minutes? Or how many Eric. had to down to get 3rd place? Just to get an idea of whether I'd want to do that or just watch and eat my wings at a reasonable pace.

(Btw, sup. I'm attempting to come out of my ppk coma that I've been in since before the boards switched over. We'll see how long it lasts before I fall off the face of the planet again.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi all--I'm new in Philly and don't know many people yet (I moved to Philly for school, but my program is super tiny). Would anyone mind a stranger showing up to the next meetup?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:33 am 

SFinPhilly wrote:
Hi all--I'm new in Philly and don't know many people yet (I moved to Philly for school, but my program is super tiny). Would anyone mind a stranger showing up to the next meetup?

Absolutely come join! Where are you at school/in the city?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

squashbuckler wrote:
I might be able to make this. I'm wondering, as far as competing goes, anybody have an idea (ballpark) how many the winner last year jammed in his face in the 2 minutes? Or how many Eric. had to down to get 3rd place? Just to get an idea of whether I'd want to do that or just watch and eat my wings at a reasonable pace.

(Btw, sup. I'm attempting to come out of my ppk coma that I've been in since before the boards switched over. We'll see how long it lasts before I fall off the face of the planet again.)

There was a time limit last year but ended up being the first one done. I think there was maybe 15 of them, probably 3-4x the normal amount served. I remember they just came out of the fryer and were super hot (temperature wise) which made them hard to gulp down. Hardest part is not drinking too much before to fill yourself up. Also for this year I think I might not drink beer during said competition which seemed fun at the time, but not sure it’s the best move if your going for broke.

I think theres two ways to go about it.

1) eat as fast as possible. Most likely will feel like shiitake for the next hour or so

2) Or pay $20 drink lots and eat the wings slowly and enjoy while people around you are about to throw up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm actually a grad student at Bryn Mawr, so I spend most of my days out on the Main Line, but I've been spending as much time exploring Philly as I can. Thanks, though! I look forward to meeting all of you, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Word, thanks for the info! That's a good point that the $20 is a good enough deal to just chill and enjoy while everybody else is preparing for gastrointestinal horrors.

Eric. wrote:

There was a time limit last year but ended up being the first one done. I think there was maybe 15 of them, probably 3-4x the normal amount served. I remember they just came out of the fryer and were super hot (temperature wise) which made them hard to gulp down. Hardest part is not drinking too much before to fill yourself up. Also for this year I think I might not drink beer during said competition which seemed fun at the time, but not sure it’s the best move if your going for broke.

I think theres two ways to go about it.

1) eat as fast as possible. Most likely will feel like shiitake for the next hour or so

2) Or pay $20 drink lots and eat the wings slowly and enjoy while people around you are about to throw up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

Man, I go to school on Wednesday and can't make this. I wonder if more people would go if it was earlier, with college kids home from school and all...