| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Philadelphia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i need to have more rockband potluck get-togethers. it was so much fun!

(too bad i have like 8 or 10 steps and a treacherous path between sets of steps. i guess it could be worse. some houses in NE philly have more than 15. with no break in between.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Dynahmite wrote:
Ever since we got our own forum I feel like we've stopped the usual chatter in this thread! Pick it up, folks, I feel lonely in here!

So, how was everyone's Thanksgiving? I had a great meal with supercarrot and choirqueer.

My Thanksgiving was fantastic! I had a great time with...oh, wait. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Seriously, you all need to come out here to visit me at Pendle Hill. All our buildings have at least one level-access entrance and I think we have a couple of motorized wheelchairs in case someone, like, needs one and forgot to bring their own? Also the vegan food here is pretty forking fantastic, have I mentioned that lately? Lunch today was chickpea cacciatore and a truly magnificent arugula salad with candied walnuts and cranberries and some mixed-berry vinaigrette.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ive been so crazed and sick! Ahhhh, did I mention sick? Yes, sick over Thanksgiving. Ugh....

Glad you guys had a good one!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i want pictures of these thanksgiving feasts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't think we took any pictures sadly! It was a ton of food though.

I liked the Rock Band harmonies. It would be cool to figure out what they actually want you to sing and then get good at it. I feel like I often just varied my pitch around to try to get the arrow in the right place and must have sounded ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:59 am 

Dynahmite wrote:

I liked the Rock Band harmonies. It would be cool to figure out what they actually want you to sing and then get good at it. I feel like I often just varied my pitch around to try to get the arrow in the right place and must have sounded ridiculous.

i have pics, but i'm being lazy. :-p (as usual)
you sounded good! i usually play with the speaker right next to my head (because of the banging. haha!) it's especially needed when it's a song i've never heard before. next time i'll move the speakers to the back of the couch so the person in the middle can benefit from the speaker proximity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Dynahmite wrote:

I remember Carrie took at least 2 photos!

I dunno about the Rock Band harmonies. It didn't really feel like we were a rock band. It felt like we were three people sitting on a couch singing to ourselves. The visual for the vocals is deceptive, too -- the "center" point does not stay the same throughout the song like it does in previous Rock Band editions, so even for someone like me who is pretty good at translating visual information into aural information, it's a pain in the asparagus. Also, many of the songs have more vocal harmonies in the actual song than the screen displays. So if you've got a song with 4-part vocals and only 3 lines on the screen, you can't even tell which of the harmonies are part of the game!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 am 

choirqueer wrote:
I dunno about the Rock Band harmonies. It didn't really feel like we were a rock band. It felt like we were three people sitting on a couch singing to ourselves.

it'd probably be better once we actually learn what the game wants us to sing. practice makes perfect.
(and i bet real rock band vocalists feel like they're just singing to themselves when they're first learning/creating a song)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm 

Has anyone been to the Abbaye before? My bff wants to go there for dinner and drinks tonight...but how vegan friendly is it? I saw some vegetarian things on their menupages listing, but I don't know how current it is or if those vegetarian things are actually vegan. Since i am limited on time, I may just call them and ask. I will report back later!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was there once. I only had the hummus plate, which is tasty enough if you don't want something super substantial. I'd ask about the vegetarian stuff because if I recall things weren't labelled as vegan or otherwise on the menu.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 pm 

The Abbaye has a few options, and usually a vegan special I think. Report back if you go!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Has anyone been to the Abbaye before? My bff wants to go there for dinner and drinks tonight...but how vegan friendly is it? I saw some vegetarian things on their menupages listing, but I don't know how current it is or if those vegetarian things are actually vegan. Since i am limited on time, I may just call them and ask. I will report back later!

I grabbed a drink there last night and they had a vegan shepard pie. I would ask what all is vegan on the menu though because I've been before and thought stuff would be vegan, and it isn't. Atleast the waitstaff was knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 pm 

I ended up not going to the Abbaye, and went to faithful Sketch instead. They had vegan chilli as the special, and was really hoping for a chili burger with caramelized onions and mushrooms (super sloppy style) but they were all out of chili, so I had a plain vegan burger with onions, mushrooms and bbq sauce and of course a side of fries. Yum!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

hmm yeah the Abbaye just started having wings too. Havnt had them yet. I know they have a few other seitan options and some salads. I know their veggie burger (atleast last time i asaked) was not vegan.

we went to Sketch this weekend too, but they had chili when we were there but were out of sweet potato fries.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:39 am 

anybody have any opinions on homeslice? it's today's eversave deal
$10 for $20 worth of pizza with panache from Home Slice Pizzeria http://eversave.com/share/dMV7
do they cook everything on the same grill surface? the menu says they have vegan "cheez whiz" (for an extra $1) do it's doubtful that their pizza would be any better than blackbird. (if they even offer a vegan pizza)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 am 

Haha I just started a new thread about it. It's decent. Don't know about the grill, I've only ever had pizza there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I guess I could start a thread about this, but I hate starting threads. SO. Does anyone know what brand of soy chicken Govinda's uses? Suzukibeane and I were there today and the guy behind the counter couldn't tell us.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:05 pm 

i think it's from may wah! vegieworld.com is it the chicken that has little bubbly looking indentations on the bottom?

there used to be a brand of stuff that i've seen at wholefoods that was kind-of ridiculously expensive called delight that looked, smelled and tasted exactly like the stuff from may wah. (only organic/non GMO?) http://www.delightsoy.com/

i made a post on LJ back in 2008 when i first saw them. http://community.livejournal.com/veganc ... 20449.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hmm, I don't know if it had indentations or not. I was too busy shoving it into my maw. But the counter dude said they get it form a place in NY, and the bits kind of look like the roasted salt chicken (or maybe the chicken bites) from May Wah. Thanks for the info!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 am 

amandabear wrote:
Hmm, I don't know if it had indentations or not. I was too busy shoving it into my maw. But the counter dude said they get it form a place in NY, and the bits kind of look like the roasted salt chicken (or maybe the chicken bites) from May Wah. Thanks for the info!!

Yeah, they definitely use May Wah brand chkn. I think they get the cutlets and cut them up themselves, or the little nuggets, May Wah has a little variety of them.

Hot May-Wah in Philly tip: Vietnamese grocery store on 6th and Washington has a GOOD variety of May-Wah and similar May-Wah brand vegan jawns. They have the legs with the sticks in them, Chkn cutlets that Viva Las Vegans lunch truck used to use for their chkn sandwiches, these ginger chkn nugget things, HAM LOGS!, sometimes vegan shrimpies, and if you're really lucky, the AWESOME!!!! scallop things, which is the very best faux-seafood product ever. The vietnamese grocery store thats on 11th and Washington used to have a good vegan variety, but unless they recently re-stocked, they don't carry May-Wah products anymore, and all their veg stuff, it seems has whey in them, which really sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

xstartxtodayx wrote:
amandabear wrote:

Yeah, they definitely use May Wah brand chkn. I think they get the cutlets and cut them up themselves, or the little nuggets, May Wah has a little variety of them.

Hot May-Wah in Philly tip: Vietnamese grocery store on 6th and Washington has a GOOD variety of May-Wah and similar May-Wah brand vegan jawns. They have the legs with the sticks in them, Chkn cutlets that Viva Las Vegans lunch truck used to use for their chkn sandwiches, these ginger chkn nugget things, HAM LOGS!, sometimes vegan shrimpies, and if you're really lucky, the AWESOME!!!! scallop things, which is the very best faux-seafood product ever. The vietnamese grocery store thats on 11th and Washington used to have a good vegan variety, but unless they recently re-stocked, they don't carry May-Wah products anymore, and all their veg stuff, it seems has whey in them, which really sucks.

Awesome, I didn't know this before!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:47 pm 

Do you happen to know if any of the Chinatown grocery store carry May Wah? I've never seen it...but we tend to stick to the one basement supermarket. Plus, I leave the "sorting through the frozen foods for random vegan options" task to the bf, since I can't reach a lot of it...so I have never actually looked!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Dynahmite wrote:
Do you happen to know if any of the Chinatown grocery store carry May Wah? I've never seen it...but we tend to stick to the one basement supermarket.

The one under the parking garage? I love that place. It's like walking into Fight Club going down there. I was also thinking of looking for this stuff there, but it's so far and it's been so cold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next