Post subject: [philly] sweet freedom bakery
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

http://www.sweetfreedombakery.com/
1424 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
(215) 545-1899

littlegarlic wrote:
I want to support Sweet Freedom, but so far, I've only liked one thing I got there. I tried a cupcake, I think vanilla with vanilla frosting. The frosting was kind of granular and just had a weird taste. Then, i tried the chocolate chip cookie sandwich, which was kind of oily with cream inside that tasted similar to the frosting. This weekend, I went back after not going for a while, and I tried the banana-chocolate chip bread, recommended by the cashier (who I think may be a co-owner). It was so bad, I am about to give up. It tasted undercooked. The whole center was mushy and gummy and tasted like raw chickpea flour. The only thing I tried that was good was a berry crumble bar, but I had a similar apple one this weekend that was not good. They're really nice, people and I want to like more of their products. What have you guys tried that's good?

onthevedge wrote:
I got the Groupon, too, because I am there at least every other week. The only thing I'm not crazy about at Sweet Freedom is probably the cupcake, but I would rather eat a cupcake there than anything from Vegan Treats. It tastes less artificial to me and I care more about healthy, natural ingredients than I do about it tasting like a Tastykake. And it's not bad, they have managed to develop a pretty decent gluten-free product. Of course it doesn't taste like one of those giant cupcake abominations that Americans are used to.

The owners are amazing, they really care about what they offer for people with allergies, and for those looking for a healthier indulgence. I also feel a million times better after eating the treats here and I don't crash after having them.

I hate sugar and fun and rainbows.

I highly recommend the cookie sandwiches, which taste best frozen and are seriously addictive. Get the pumpkin or gingerbread cookie sandwich if they have it. I also like the daily fruit crumble and the brownie (on the fudgy, gooey side, if that's your preference).

Post subject: Re: [philly] sweet freedom bakery
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I really hope that my sister goes to Med School in Philly (she got accepted!), so that I can go there when I visit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

best thing I've had from there is the cookie cake. amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really wanted to like them, and maybe I was there on an off day, but I found their cupcake kind of... terrible. The icing was pretty good though.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just looked at their Thanksgiving menu. I have been debating whether or not to order something. I normally just pick up a vegan pumpkin pie from Whole Foods. But I kind of wanted something homemade this year, without me having to make it. But, 30 dollars for a pumpkin pie is crazy! And 50 dollars for a dozen cupcakes! That's not working for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

booberthefraggle wrote:
I really wanted to like them, and maybe I was there on an off day, but I found their cupcake kind of... terrible. The icing was pretty good though.

I don't think the cupcakes are that great, but everything else I have had from there has been REALLY good. Try a cookie sandwich, I think that's my fav.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I put in an order for the vegan pumpkin pie and I'm pretty excited to try it. I will be the only vegan at our family dinner, so I wanted to have one healthy dessert option. I will probably grab some last minute stuff when I go to pick it up (for leftovers). I'm hoping they have the apple pie by the slice because I wanted to get one of those but the $35 seemed steep.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

luftpost wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

I don't think the cupcakes are that great, but everything else I have had from there has been REALLY good. Try a cookie sandwich, I think that's my fav.

This was my thought exactly! Not a fan of the cupcake, but have liked everything else. :) Cookie sandwich is definitely the best!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:32 pm 

i finally used one of my groupons yesterday.

chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting: a combination of beany, chemically, and fruity all combined together. the fruity reminded me of taza chocolate, so that was good... except for the chemical bean flavor. :-/ mr. carrot took a bite and immediately drank water straight from the pitcher, he couldn't wait to pour a glass. i will definitely not get that again. it was wrong, very wrong. (but it wasn't gagworthy for me. i finished it up, if that means anything.)

chocolate chip cookie sandwich with vanilla frosting: the cookie hardly tasted gluten free at all! it was crispy and full of delicious chips. the frosting by itself had that faint chemically/fruity flavor, but the cookie did a good job of covering that up.

mint chocolate cookie sandwich with vanilla (i think) frosting: this too was really good. the cookie was vaguely beany, but the mint did a good job of covering that up. it was not as crispy as the chocolate chip cookie.

magic bar: this was also really good. it's a coconutty bar with a layer of solid chocolate on top. simple ingredients, flavors were great.

the place itself smelled overpoweringly of chemicals. i could not place my finger on it. it was a breath of fresh air to step outside. (literally)

next time i go in i'm going to try the brownie (against my better judgement i think, when i look at the ingredients list. i think it's the sorghum flour that might be poking me in the wrong tastebuds), and i'll stick to the cookies which are non-sandwichified. and apparently they have donuts, which i'm guessing are baked. (which i have always been unhappy with across the board, so i don't have a good outlook for those, but i'll give it a go.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've had the magic bar and liked it alot and Some sort of bread if i remember maybe a banana-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Their tomato pie is SOOO good! I'm not even GF, but wanted to try it and I was impressed. I even ate it cold and it was that good. The crust was very tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 pm 
Hip Goiter

I bought the latest groupon-ish deal so I have to decide when to go and what to get. I know a lot of people are not fans of the stuff. I've only had a cookie which wasn't great and the magic bar which was (but so sweet). Are the cookie cakes that good? How much are they, about (the site says call for a quote)?
Supercarrot (or anyone) did you end up trying the brownie and/or donut?

TuxedoCat wrote:
Their tomato pie is SOOO good! I'm not even GF, but wanted to try it and I was impressed. I even ate it cold and it was that good. The crust was very tasty.

What? They have tomato pie? No way.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i am a fan of the cookie cakes. i forget how much they are though./

also think i had a cinnamon sugar doughnut that was pretty impressive. it was some sort of doughnut...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

RandiJM wrote:
I bought the latest groupon-ish deal so I have to decide when to go and what to get. I know a lot of people are not fans of the stuff. I've only had a cookie which wasn't great and the magic bar which was (but so sweet). Are the cookie cakes that good? How much are they, about (the site says call for a quote)?
Supercarrot (or anyone) did you end up trying the brownie and/or donut?

TuxedoCat wrote:

What? They have tomato pie? No way.

Yes! Not sure if they always have it. I think they make some and just sell them until they are out. Feel free to call first though. I think the cookie sandwiches are in the $3.50 range, but could be mistaken. I've had their donuts before too and they are pretty good. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 pm 

i never got back there before my 2nd one expired. (it's still valid for the price i paid for it, so someday i'll go back. us jerseyans unfortunately have to plan most of our philly groupon redemptions ahead of time, and sandwich it along with another reason to make it worth spending $4 on the bridge.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ooh thanks I will call. Would be funny if I finally find good tomato pie not in South Philly at SF.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:28 pm 
Hip Goiter

SO. Just used my groupon thinger for a tomato pie from Sweet Freedom. You guys were right. It's amaaaaazing. Oh my god. I am so happy.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 am 
Saggy Butt

i finally tried the tomato pie yesterday. it was pretty good. i got a corner piece & the very outer edge of the corner tasted kinda like a non-sweet rice krispie, but other than that i have no complaints. for a gluten free crust, it was awesome

i, however, am not gluten free so i will continue to purchase my tomato pie at cascia's (16th & ritner. you have to try it)