| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Philly! I'm gonna be in you.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Greetings, Philadelphegans. . . I am moving to Philly in about a month. I'm stoked! I dunno how active this subforum is, but I would love to meet up with some of you at some point. I'd also appreciate links to any good vegan Philly FB and/or meetup.com groups, if you know of any. My new place is in the Gray's Ferry/ Point Breeze area, and I'll be in school in University City, so I'd also greatly appreciate recommendations for places I MUST go to in these areas (restaurants, and also coffee shops/ bars/ hangout places/ etc.). I've gotten some recommendations from friends who used to live there, but I'm always down to meet PPKers!

Post subject: Re: Philly! I'm gonna be in you.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

oh! that's an up and coming vegan friendly area. dahlak is my favorite ethiopian place, and dottie's donuts will be opening out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 am 
Hip Goiter

YOU'RE SO LUCKY!

No seriously Philly is the best. I'll be visiting my fam at the end of September and would love to meet you! (and see everyone else on here!)

University City is pretty great. Are you starting undergrad or a grad program? Not that it matters I'm just curious. My favorite place in that area is Local 44 on Spruce, a great bar with lots of vegan options. There's a Mad Mex right in Penn's campus that has a lot of vegan stuff, but the service is so consistently terrible that it would be smarter to walk to 30th St, take the train to Wynnewood, and eat at that one and by the time you'd be back in the city you would maybe have gotten someone's attention.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:04 am 

Awesome! Thanks, both of you, for the recommendations. Randi, I've enrolled in the cosmetology program at the Aveda Institute in U. City. I have a B.A. in history and poli. sci, and was in grad school to become a teacher, but I realized that I don't want to be a teacher. I'm done with academic school, at least for the foreseeable future, and am trying to become a hairstylist. Wooooohoo, life changes! The Aveda institute is part of the appeal of Philly, but I am mostly moving because I'm ready for a change, and want to live in a city.

Let's tentatively try for a PPK meetup at the end of September, and hash out the details as it gets closer. . . I've been to Vedge, and was really impressed (wish I could afford to eat there on the reg!), Little Baby's for ice cream (the Baltimore Ave location. . . so good!), and Grindcore House which is awesome. Excited to try out more places.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:54 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

cool! if you want to test your skills on someone with thick mildly curly hair who mostly does no-poo, i'm all yours. (i usually pull it up, so no worries about messing it up. it grows pretty quickly anyway.)

my favorites at the moment are the jumbo shrimp at new harmony and the chicken ranch and cheesesteak at hip city veg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:26 am 
Hip Goiter

SHUT UP the Univ City Aveda Institute is where I got my hair cut for a decade!! With the students! Omg I love that place! I hope you love it. Everyone was so cool there :)

Vedge is the best restaurant in the world obviously but right now I love V Street a little more. Happy hour can be really affordable too so try to get there at some point! And if you share stuff with people it's more fun and cheaper. Have you been to HipCityVeg yet? It's so great, and so consistent.

My favorite thing from my last trip two months ago was Dizengoff's hummus. It was the best ever. i really can't get over it.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I ride through U-City / west philly so I only usually pick things up.
Four Worlds Bakery is awesome
Fu-Wah
Pizza Wings Steaks

In south philly
Miss Rachels Pantry is awesome
Royal Tavern (tempeh club!>?)
Triangle Tavern
B2 (soft serve)
Cantina
P.O.P.E.
Green Eggs
Sabrinas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm 

Awesome! I'll probably take you up on that offer sometime, sc, as I'll take all of the practice I can get. Randi, that's funny, glad to hear you love it! I'm stoked. I have been to HipCityVeg. . . I needed a quick lunch before touring the Aveda Institute, and was resigned to Qdoba or something, but then saw HipCityVeg and grabbed an awesome Greek salad there. I foresee it becoming a regular stop-in place for pre-class deliciousness.

Thanks for the recommendations, Eric! I've seen some of your posts in the bicycling badazz thread; I love how bikes are EVERYWHERE in Philly and am seriously looking forward to riding/ public-transit-ing as my primary means of getting around (I'm selling my car but have heard that being carless in Philly is really manageable)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

yeah, definitely save your money and get rid of the car. there's always zipcar and philly carshare if you need to get somewhere less accessible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

awesome! philly is amazingly easy to ride around due to the small size and lack of hills. do you have a bike here already?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:54 am 

I have a roadbike that I love and will be bringing with me. The town I live in now has a lot more hills, so getting around Philly should be a breeze (aside from way more aggro drivers). I was impressed by the beautiful bike lanes when I visited (bike lanes here appear sporadically and end randomly), although I'm paranoid about getting doored in bike lanes by people getting out of their cars. But that can happen anywhere!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm so excited for you! I love living in South Philly. I spent quite a few years in Point Breeze. It's a very convenient place to live. You can't miss Hardena or Miss Rachel's Pantry (open Friday-Sunday).

I'm a car-free Philadelphian! It's great. Philly is wonderful for cyclists. Just don't be afraid to take the lane if you're not riding in a designated bike lane! Painted "sharrows" are supposed to help, but I won't get started on that...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:20 am 

Thanks for the tips, buttercup! Hardena sounds amazing and is really close to where I'll be living.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

lilyyw wrote:
I have a roadbike that I love and will be bringing with me. The town I live in now has a lot more hills, so getting around Philly should be a breeze (aside from way more aggro drivers). I was impressed by the beautiful bike lanes when I visited (bike lanes here appear sporadically and end randomly), although I'm paranoid about getting doored in bike lanes by people getting out of their cars. But that can happen anywhere!

sweet! the drivers here arent the worst... but I try to always assume they dont know/care that im there. just do your thing and dont pay attention to how other wild-people ride and youll be fine in the city. If your into road riding then theres plenty of fun route around Fairmount Park.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hi! I don't check here much anymore but I'm Philly-adjacent and come to West Philly a lot for stuff! Friend me on FB (see link in sig) or email me at this username at gmail if you wanna hang!