| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan things at non-veg places?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I imagine this list could get pretty extensive, but I thought this could be an interesting way of learning about new spots.

I was walking around the other day and passed Homemade Goodies by Roz on 5th and South. I pass by that place all the time, but had just noticed a "vegan things inside" sticker on the window. I always knew it was Kosher parve, but always assumed everything had egg in it. So I walk in and talk to the owner Roz, and she said there are usually always vegan cupcakes available (that day there was chocolate, mint and raspberry flavors to choose from), thumbprint cookies, and vegan challah on request. I think Roz said that the challah is usually vegan but they put an eggwash coating, but if you call, they won't put that on. She said they are also working on vegan scones. I got a chocolate-mint cupcake, and I have to say, for $2.50 it was not bad at all!! Nice crumb, not too sweet, icing was a good consistency. Icing probably had hydrogenated oils (as most/all(?) kosher margarine do) but I can't complain for a close-by treat.

Any other hidden gems out there?

Post subject: Re: Vegan things at non-veg places?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

ooh vegan challah can be tough to find!

I went to a dinner at Butcher and Singer a while back and emailed them before hand about their options. They had a legit salad (butcher i believe it was called) and made me a really good risotto with veggies.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:40 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Continental Midtown is pretty vegan friendly. They have a Black Quinoa 'Tabbouleh" Salad, leave off the feta, and add tofu. And they have a hummus pita plate that they will serve with cut up veggies instead of the pita if you are gluten free and their steamed edamame is the best!

There is always Chipotle or Qdoba. And Le Pain Q. always has a vegan soup of the day, salads, tartines, chili, and normally one thing in the bakery case.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

In South Philly, J & Js and the Pizza Place have sauteed veggie hoagies that you can order without cheese, and Virginio's has a veggie pie that regularly comes without cheese. That pie is pretty dang good! And there's also Bitar's for a good and cheap felafel/hummus sandwich...yummy. Mazza also sells them (not as good and more $$), but they also have a veggie/hummus gyro and a super nice (and big!) vegetarian platter with baba, hummus, 2 felafels, 2 grape leaves, tabouleh, bean salad, and 2 pitas.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The South Philly Tap Room has a rotating menu, but they always have some vegan options. I just had a mushroom pho there that was yummy.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Vegan newbie here. I had a few friends visiting for an extended weekend, so it turned into my first attempt to find vegan options while out with many omnivores.

Alma de Cuba: Gloria's Black Bean Soup is vegan without the crema fresca. Two salads also need modifications to be vegan (they have cheese and bacon). I ordered the rice & lentil cake, which is vegan without any modifications. Description from menu: Crisp Rice and Black Lentil Cake, vegetable stew, carrot chimichuri, and chayote squash salad. The vegetable stew is coconuty and so delicious. My flexitarian boyfriend kept trying to steal bites.

Nodding Head: stopped here for drinks, and I got a late-night snack. They had a handful of vegan options, including a veggie stew with seitan, a "vegan burger," and some starters/salads. I had the white beans & sage with fresh pita wedges. White beans cooked in vegetable broth with sage, carrots, and celery. I really enjoyed it.

Cafe Lift: tried here for brunch. No vegan breakfasty options, but they have a roasted veggie panini with a bean spread and a roasted veggie pizza. I went for the veggie pizza with no cheese and it was very tasty.

Square Peg: went here for a quick brunch and was very disappointed. Skimmed their brunch menu before going and saw a lot of (V) labels, so I thought it would be better. Turns out almost every vegetarian option has cheese and/or egg. Even the oatmeal is made with dairy, and I was told it was "difficult to make without it." No soy or other plant milk for coffee. I ended up with a fruit bowl and a side of toast with jam.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 am 
Tofu Pup

North of Philly in Frenchtown, NJ there are lots of vegan/veg options at Lovin Oven. Nice day trip for Philly folks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 pm 

Pizza Steak Wings on Drexel's campus in west philly opened sort of recently. They have vegan cheesesteaks, seitan wings and pizza with tofu ricotta. Their seitan is house made and pretty delicious, especially in wing form. For whatever reason they didn't serve them with the hot sauce and gave us bbq instead. I thought it said it was vegan, but maybe the hot sauce isn't. The best part is they have a Meatless Monday special on Mondays from 8pm-midnight - half off all their veg food! Totally worth it if you go during their special.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cantina Dos Segundo has good vegan offerings. The last time I went there they had a special with seitan and plantains that was excellent. I also was there for Taco Tuesday and I think the tacos were $2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 am 

Bad for my wallet, but Talula's Daily just opened on Washington Square. La Columbe coffee with soy and almond milk options. They also have a vegan tofu bahn mi, tempeh kale salad and hummus in the refrigerator case. I spoke to what seemed to be the manager this morning and asked her about vegan pastry options, she said that it was a great and overlooked idea since they do it at their Kennett Square location. So, here's hoping to seeing some more vegan options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Pizza Steak Wings on Drexel's campus in west philly opened sort of recently. They have vegan cheesesteaks, seitan wings and pizza with tofu ricotta. Their seitan is house made and pretty delicious, especially in wing form. For whatever reason they didn't serve them with the hot sauce and gave us bbq instead. I thought it said it was vegan, but maybe the hot sauce isn't. The best part is they have a Meatless Monday special on Mondays from 8pm-midnight - half off all their veg food! Totally worth it if you go during their special.

sweet!!! i might check this out a monday night! thanks for posting