| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: the south jersey thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i was doing a random google search, and i happened upon indiya. apparently they actually list vegan (and GF) items on their menu. (better than nothing.) i've never been there, but a few things happen to be both vegan and GF.

http://www.indiyarestaurant.com/menu.html
612 Haddon Ave., (Opposite Sun Bank) Collingswood, NJ 08108.
Lunch
Tues.-Sun. : 12:00 noon - 2:30 pm
Dinner
Tuesday - Thursday : 5:00- 9:30 pm
Friday & Saturday : 5:00-10:00 pm
Sunday : 5:00- 9:00 pm

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

My roomie said that place was good! I need to venture outside of places that are walkable from my house in cwood. If I go soon I'll report back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:04 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've been there.. The food was great.

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

http://clayovenpalaceonline.com/

I rarely eat anywhere but the Pop Shop when I'm in Collingwood. But I hear this place is good too, another Indian restaurant that specifies vegan and gluten free items.

But speaking of Collingswood, there is now a Sweet Freedom there too. Everything is gluten free and vegan. And I'm kind of a dumb asparagus because I just went for breakfast yesterday at the Pop Shop and forgot to hit up Sweet Freedom.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

WHOA!!!! i had no idea! (i wonder if i'd be able to get a PT job there.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

They just opened like maybe a month ago. I've lost track of time. But they have been posting about it on their facebook page. I've still not had anything from them. I'm way too lazy for my own good. There is one 6 blocks from my office and I can't muster up the energy to go on my lunch break. And now there is one a 15 min car ride from my house. Haven't gone yet! I'm terrible.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

you are terrible. :-)

message sent. (seriously, being able to walk or ride my bike to employment at a VEGAN BAKERY!!! would be so incredible.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know!

Yay! Hope it works out for you. That would give me more of a reason to come in and buy yumms!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

*thumbs up* and who knows, maybe they let employees take home day-olds. eh? you'd like that, wouldn't you?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Dude, I will get off the train at Collingswood and then get back on just grab some day-olds from you! I'll sign the petition :o)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

:-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:56 am 
Baking In The Flavor

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Hold the phone. Sweet freedom is now in cwood?? The place that I always want to go to when im on South Street but I always get there too late?

This is bad for my 'eat less junk' phase.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:58 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I am literally so ecstatic about this. I never get cupcakes because I'm scared of the gluten demons. I can walk to get gluten free vegan cupcakes.

Man I love Collingswood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

xstartxtodayx wrote:
There are also those accidentally vegan donuts at Jack's Donuts in Laurel Springs. I always forget about that place!

hey! i found my notes!

the yeasted/raised donuts don't have egg, and the signs say which ones are dairy-free, and sometimes the icings have honey.

cake donuts have dry egg in them, and the sticky buns aren't vegan, they come from a mix.

the "cream" has shortening in it. (as expected) it says "double filtered"? no idea what that means in relation to donuts/health or whatever.

and then my last note says boston cream, but there's nothing written after it. such a mystery.

these are all notes from january 2010. some stuff might have changed, so grain of salt and all.

i do remember that the fruit fillings were okay.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i have updates to my opinions of the pop shop and sweet freedom! the 'rents-in-law were in town, so we had a collingswood outing, and we decided that the pop shop was the best situation for us.

the issue with the two "very veggie" sandwiches have slightly been resolved. instead of the "vegan" being capitalized on the vegan one, it's in title case and meshes with the rest of the name, so it is obvious that it's part of the name, and not just a descriptor. we were seated in booths, so the sheer mass of kids elsewhere was a lot less pronounced.

i asked them if they have a separate section on the grill for vegetarian food, and my waiter seemed a little unsure what to say, and then he said that there is a section for vegan food, but not vegetarian. (even better! and just as a FYI to anyone who would want cow cheese. their stuff will be cooked with the meats.)

i had the philly cheesesteak, and it was good, but the seitan was really bland. (at least there were mushrooms and teese to bring flavor)
mr carrot had the quesadilla, and that was really tasty. (spicy!)

the next morning, i had the vegan pancakes. (they were super tasty! especially the edges. the centers were a little undercooked, but they were gigantic, and could easily feed 2 people who wanted a light breakfast.) the caramelized pecans and stewed apples were both non-vegan, so i was offered matchsticks of fresh granny smiths. good enough.
the other half had the scramble and hash browns. this was also pretty good. just a heads up though, the tofu was in chunks, so scramble purists might want to psych themselves up beforehand if they choose this item.

as for sweet freedom, they were much better. back when they first opened in philly, i tried their stuff, and it was overwhelmingly chemically tasting/smelling (which was probably the sorghum flour), but they've since figured it out, and that's definitely toned down. (even the shop smells nice now. before, it was hard to breathe with the overwhelming sorghum.) the magic bars were great as they were before (they're really simple, though) the other winner was the cake ball. (we got the vanilla chocolate chip one) the cupcakes still had that little hint of grit, but they were definitely better than before. i didn't get the chance to try the cookies, so i'll hold off on updating my opinion of those, but i bet they'll be better too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

The Pop Shop's tofu scramble was AW-FUL when I last had it a year ago. It was like they didn't even try to season the tofu with anything. I almost wanted to give them some tips on how to make it less crappy tasting but I refrained. Maybe it's better now.

I just had a carrot cupcake from sweet freedom and I was a little disappointed. the cakey part was a bit salty and not so sweet; the icing was great. I really just love their cake balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we had the salted caramel and the samoa. they were both pretty good.

i only had a little taste of the scramble, but it also had a nice mix of ingredients, so if there wasn't any flavoring in the tofu itself, the surrounding stuff helped out. (i wish there wasn't as much spinach in there, cause it was a little overwhelming) but you're right, the cubes looked suspiciously like straight-up tofu.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i just learned of green medley in the moorestown mall! they just opened up in november.
https://www.facebook.com/greenmedley

i know which restaurant i'm going to put up first on veganroadtrips.com when we finally build it. (it's nowhere near even started. i have a feeling it'll never start. ever. bleh.) anyway, this is the perfect location. right off of 295 AND the turnpike. score!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ok. gardeners, i just started a community seed library. if we're friends, there's a link to the FB group on my FB profile. (if you can't get to the link because we're not friends, then why are we not friends yet, if you live that close to me?) if you don't have a FB, here's a link to the spreadsheet we'll be using this year. (we'll build an actual database over the winter... i hope.) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

i'm hoping to limit the participants to maybe 5 or 10 miles from collingswood. (definitely zone 7b. zone 8 is so close, and they also have a seed library at an actual library down in pitman. http://www.libraryseedbank.info/)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:04 am 
Tofu Pup

Cool Dog Cafe in Marlton, easily over looked since.. well.. it is a hot dog restaurant, but if you can get past that they have a VEGAN HOT DOG option and clearly marked vegan items on the menu. I haven't been in the area in awhile (Peace Corps - home soon!!) but in the past the staff was always friendly and awesome, and my first time there (2011) the owner assured me that the vegan dogs are cooked in a separate area AND the fries are vegan friendly as well.
http://www.thecooldogcafe.com/menu.html

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2