| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help get Meatless Mondays in Philly's schools!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm interning with The Humane League this semester, and we're working on a campaign to get the School District of Philadelphia to participate in Meatless Monday--meaning children all across the city would be served plant-based dishes once a week in their school cafeterias. I think it'd be awesome to be able to introduce so many kids to meatless meals on a regular basis.
This has already been done in many other school districts across the country, so it's not unprecedented. And Philadelphia even recently passed a resolution urging its residents to participate in Meatless Monday.

Unfortunately the district keeps pushing us off, saying they're in the middle of contract negotiations. We feel that with enough support from residents they'll have to stand up and listen. This is what I need your help with--visit http://www.phillymeatlessmonday.com and sign the petition, then share with anyone you think might be interested (especially parents, teachers, and students in the district).

And on that note, if you happen to know of anyone I should contact--local media outlets, blogs (your blog?), organizations, Twitter accounts, etc--please let me know!