| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New vegan spots in Philly in 2014
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We all know about the HipCityVeg and Vedge bars coming to center city this year. So, that's happening. I was checking out GrubHub a couple days ago and found a new vegetarian coffee place in South Philly called The Pharmacy that not only has cheap vegan friendly food, but they friggin' deliver! Coffee shop, art space, show space, vegan food makers! http://thepharmacyphilly.com/ The idea of ordering vegan chkn and waffles for breakfast on my phone while I am still in bed and paying less than $10 for it is kind of awesome/enabling my laziness.

Also, I just read an article from the Passyunk Post that Govinda's is remodeling and repurposing their take-out spot by making it a VEGAN PIZZA JOINT (in addition to their take-out menu.) WHAT! I am not sure they could be better than Blackbird, but I am willing to give them a chance.

http://www.passyunkpost.com/2014/02/19/ ... next-door/

So, what else is going on in the Vegan Philadelphia Rumor Mill?

Post subject: Re: New vegan spots in Philly in 2014
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Now if only someone would deliver vegan food out here in the burbs! Just kidding, then I'd really never leave my apartment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

Omg this city!!! Wheee!

Is V Street the Vedge bar or is that another new place? I think it's the bar?

Also, not new (I don't think?) but the James Beard nominations honored CHeU Noodle House, and I looked at the menu and it has (v) next to some items!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

im excited!

has anyone been to CHeU Noodle House before?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Can't wait for the Vedge place! It's supposedly going to be street food themed. Yes, please.

I'm excited about the Govinda's pizzeria mainly because I will finally be able to get pizza delivered to my house! Dream come true. But, will it be Krishna pizza? I need garlic powder on my pizza!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone been to the Pharmacy yet? Their yelp reviews are notsogood. I hope they figure things out soon. I actually stopped by a few weeks ago hoping for lunch, but the whole thing was really confusing (I attributed this to them being so new) so I left and got a great sandwich at Breezy's instead. I love that Breezy's has so many vegan sandwich options. And several in-house baked goods! http://www.breezyscafephilly.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 pm 

Eric - Haven't been to Cheu Noodle Bar yet, the fact that there are only 2 or 3 (V) options on the menu has kind of deterred me so far. It's within walking distance of my work though, and on my lunch club's "to go" list and I hear good things about it...I should just go. :)

And buttercup - Haven't been to the Pharmacy yet, but I hope they figure things out soon too. I was thinking about placing an order through grubhub this weekend to test the waters (for both food quality, service and delivery). I'll report back. The concept is really awesome, I hope everything follows through in execution.

And funny enough, CQ having awesome vegan food within delivery distance of your home REALLY enables a person to be of hermit status. Having Blackbird within delivery distance was a curse for awhile - I stopped going out because getting pizza and wings delivered on a Friday night was such a novelty. Oy.

Speaking of delivery/new places - I rediscovered Adobe Cafe. A couple years ago I had a really bad experience there/questionable vegan food and I swore that place off. Well, it's close by and their vegan menu is huge (and I heard management changed since then) so I took a chance recently and was REALLY impressed by the food quality and quantity that they give you. Their seitan ranchero wings are AWESOME and so is everything with seitan on their menu. Vegan tamales!! Flautas!! So cool!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 am 

My buddy went to Bourbon and Branch the other day (where Liberties bar was on 2nd st in Northern Liberties). He said the cheesteak was very close to the real thing being on the greasy side with seitan & diaya. Need to go check it out and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey everyone!

I actually supply The Pharmacy with all of their vegan baked goods. I cannot vouch for the food because I haven't had it, but the coffee is great! If you want to see what I'm baking follow me on Instagram: @Thischarmingbakery , Facebook: www.facebook.com/thischarmingbakery , or tumblr: thischarmingbakery.tumblr.com - brownies, cookies, cupcakes, and I always have new specials. If there is anything you are craving I am also open to requests! Just dropped off Mint Oreo cupcakes and Peanut butter swirl brownies and I'll be dropping off more tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mmmmmm peanut butter swirl brownies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

supercarrot wrote:
mmmmmm peanut butter swirl brownies.

My personal favorite! I insist on taking one or two from every batch for myself..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone been to Vegetate in University City (looks like it might be all vegan?)? Or Cafe con Chocolate in South Philly? I'm on "spring break" next week and I can't go anywhere because I have work...so I'm trying to be a tourist in my own city (which I should do more often!).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was extremely disappointed when I ordered from the Pharmacy. It was around 2 or 3 in the afternoon on a weekday, so I'm guessing it wasn't a busy time for them. I ordered a tofu banh mi & it came with unmarinated/unseasoned tofu, some kind of purple paste-type stuff on the stale bread, and bell peppers. Who puts bell peppers on a banh mi! There were like two pieces of pickled carrots & no daikon. No cucumber, either! For $7.50 (plus the delivery fee). Maybe it'd be better in person? Overall, though, I was thoroughly disappointed with my order & I doubt I'll get food there again. I am excited to check it out as a venue--I've heard good things in that regard.

Cafe con Chocolate I've heard really good things about, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I rarely get over to that side of south Philly.

Breezy's Cafe I liked food-wise, but I went when the owners were having a bad day (huge water leak upstairs--they had to shut down early & I was the last person they served that day). I tried the banh mi there & it was great. The mushroom pate on the sandwich wasn't my favorite, but it was also the only vegan pate I've ever had, so that's probably just my unfamiliarity with the taste/texture. I wish I'd gotten to try more stuff, but maybe next time I'll have that opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

Forgot to mention--delivery from The Pharmacy took an hour and 20 minutes!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 pm 

Went to Vegan Commissary last weekend and their cheesteak was top notch. talked to the owner for a bit as well who seemed to be a really nice guy. They also gave me a try of their new GF mac-n-chee theyre working on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:04 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Eric - Haven't been to Cheu Noodle Bar yet, the fact that there are only 2 or 3 (V) options on the menu has kind of deterred me so far. It's within walking distance of my work though, and on my lunch club's "to go" list and I hear good things about it...I should just go. :)

And buttercup - Haven't been to the Pharmacy yet, but I hope they figure things out soon too. I was thinking about placing an order through grubhub this weekend to test the waters (for both food quality, service and delivery). I'll report back. The concept is really awesome, I hope everything follows through in execution.

And funny enough, CQ having awesome vegan food within delivery distance of your home REALLY enables a person to be of hermit status. Having Blackbird within delivery distance was a curse for awhile - I stopped going out because getting pizza and wings delivered on a Friday night was such a novelty. Oy.

Speaking of delivery/new places - I rediscovered Adobe Cafe. A couple years ago I had a really bad experience there/questionable vegan food and I swore that place off. Well, it's close by and their vegan menu is huge (and I heard management changed since then) so I took a chance recently and was REALLY impressed by the food quality and quantity that they give you. Their seitan ranchero wings are AWESOME and so is everything with seitan on their menu. Vegan tamales!! Flautas!! So cool!

YES! Adobe! You know what else Adobe has? AWESOME KARAOKE :D

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

I had brunch at Vegan Commissary for a second time this past weekend and was blown away with how much better everything was!! I got a strawberry-cream cheese stuffed french toast that was insanely good!!

ALSO!!! Two new vegan establishments opening within days of eachother in center city!!!!

Charlie was a sinner is opening next week (and I am on stand by awaiting for their announcement) and Vegan PS&Co is opening on Saturday!!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/The-making-of-Charlie-was-a-sinner-Menu-sampling.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Vegan-PS--Co-opens-in-Rittenhouse.html

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:41 pm 
Hip Goiter

Any news on either opening!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I went to PS & Co. WOWZA, expensive!!! Really cute place, though!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:40 pm 

Divan closed on 6th and Bainbridge and in its place comes this: http://www.tavernaoregano.com/

A super vegan-friendly Mediterranean restaurant with things like vegan tzaziki and labneh!! I wish their spinach pie was vegan, but it looks like there are plenty of other vegan options!! Sounds interesting!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 pm 
Hip Goiter

OOh what did you get at PS&CO? What kind of stuff is it? And how expensive is expensive?

Elliiiii what was Divan was it veg friendly? When are we going to this place? :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

RandiJM wrote:
OOh what did you get at PS&CO? What kind of stuff is it? And how expensive is expensive?

It's hard to explain. Organic gluten-free yoga mom food? Here's their menu!
http://media.philly.com/documents/PSCo_ ... 5X14-4.pdf

I heard the prices have been adjusted slightly, but when I went, a salad+wrap (which still isn't much food...) would run ya about $24 plus tax and tip.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

whaaaaaaaat?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It's ORGANIC ok

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:36 pm 

my buddy just went to PS&Co and said 'the sweets were meh, the lemon grass soup with noodles, a bunch of spices and burnt onions was amazing and the yogurt was also incredible'

havnt been yet but im intrigued