| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New vegan spots in Philly in 2014
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:52 pm 
Hip Goiter

I had a terrible experience at PS&CO today! I'm very upset about it.

First of all, the 'menu' on view is a chalkboard wall that says things like 'salads' 'soups' 'smoothies' but no details of dishes and more importantly no prices. The dish details are in the paper menus near the register, but again - - no prices listed! So if you want to know how much you'll be ripped off, you have to ask first. Which makes things difficult if you want to make a decision based on price, bc you aren't going to ask about 10 different items.

Second of all, the smoothies aren't in the paper menu. So the guy working explained to me how they make them and it was kind of convoluted (mentions of avocado cream and yogurt and brazil nuts and then adding juiced vegetables (which is a peeve of mine)) so I just said forget it.

Ok, moving on to what I actually got. I asked for the Burmese chickpea lettuce wraps, to go. It was a tiny dish I saw him take from the display case (not made fresh?) for $12, but I figured ok let's see if this is good. I got back to my desk, looked in the big brown paper bag...and the bag was covered in chickpeas because there was no lid. It had been covered by a piece of parchment or some such paper. ???? I tweeted at them and they said their lids hadn't come in yet. Ok, but warn a customer when she asks for it to go!!! Most was salvaged and edible. But then I realized, I had ordered lettuce wraps, but all I had was a dish of chickpeas (kind of dry) on a salad of kale. I looked in the menu and there is no such salad listed, so it wasn't the wrong dish, but more likely they forgot to give me the lettuce to wrap it in.

Grahhhh.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh no! Randi, that is such a sad story! I agree about the pricing! One of the items I purchased was far more expensive that I imagined it would be. I didn't want to be the lady who asked "how much is this? and this? what about this?" And, of course, now I am bitter about it. But that's what I get, I suppose!

I want to love PS & Co so badly. The location is so convenient, it's just beautiful inside, the owner and staff are so kind and lovely, and I love the IDEA. I think I'll stop by on my day off this week and try some of the food.

Have anyone been to Charlie was a sinner yet?!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really have no desire to try PS&Co now. Not for $12 salads, at least!!

I went to Charlie was a sinner. for lunch today. I wasn't 100% impressed or blown away, but that can also be because they are still new! I was one of three people there at noon. I ordered the mango lassi, the Maryland style crab cakes and the chickpea fries. The mango lassi was tiny for $6 and they used regular, commercial coconut yogurt, which, for the price, was hoping for something more scratch-made. The crab cake sliders were pretty good - zucchini based and the patty flattened out as you bit into the slider. I'm pretty sure the buns were a day old. The chickpea fries came out about 5-10 minutes after my sliders came out and those were probably the best out of the 3 things I ordered, although I wish the timing were better. $22 and change for all 3 things. Not the best lunch prices. I am looking forward to trying the charred ceasar salad, the hot dog puff thing, korean style tofu, the gnocchi and of course their desserts. I can see myself going a few more times this summer, to mix it up a bit from Vedge. I also want to go for breakfast one morning to try their coffee and pastries.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

yah i had heard that Charlie was a bit on the expensive side and trying to be like vedge... something i wasnt hoping for in a vegan bar. i plan on trying both places out but usually like to go a bit after opening to make sure they have their shiitake together first

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm a fan of Charlie's happy hour. They offer the "on toast" section for half-off (so, the crabcake sliders, little hot dogs, ricotta, and mushroom toast or something) as well as three discounted ($6) cocktails and some discounted wine and beer options. The crabcake sliders were surprisingly good, the tiny hot dogs were great (and indeed tiny), and the ricotta was...tofu. I'm looking forward to trying more of the menu, but not looking forward to the bill. Whatever happened to the nice, $15-20 meal? UGH.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:56 pm 
Hip Goiter

I still need to try Charlie! Has it improved at all?
I went to Vegan Commissary with my mom a week or two ago and we were both blown away. New fave place!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

made it to Broth the other day for some Pho finally... they even do a tofu banh-mi on the weekends!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hey now what is Broth? I can't find it because it is an ungoogleable word hahaha!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

ooof sorry! i always call it the wrong thing... its Stock. not Broth. :D
well worth a trip imo. seems like most peoples complaint is the $9/bowl of pho but im pretty alright with that price point for the best veg version ive had in philly.

http://www.stockphilly.com/

my buddy went to check out the new sushi-burrito place the other day and said it was pretty good with a few veg options. think its on the $$ side but might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/v-fo ... rlier.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 pm 
Hip Goiter

^Oh man. Both times I've been I've absolutely loved it but it has been pretty empty. I'm glad that they are at least saying the change is because of redirecting attentions and not just because of slow business. I REALLY don't want them to close. :/ Love it!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The first couple times ive gone it was dead. but it seems to be packed the last couple times ive gone. especially later mornings on the weekend. it seems like theyre doing well?!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

saw a friend went here yesterday... im intrigued!

http://www.koliyanphilly.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't had time to hit any of these yet except for Pure Sweets because it's two blocks from my office. And I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money on lunch, but I have gotten some tarts and cookies. The cookies were all meh, very coconut oil/almond flour dense hippie type of cookies. The tarts are outstanding though. I've had the blueberry cheesecake type, the Elvis PB & Banana, and the Tiramisu which is actually in a cup. No joke the tiramisu might be the best I've ever had anywhere flavor wise. It was amazing!

But yeah they are crazy expensive. I spent $25 on 4 cookies and the tiramisu. It's a splurge for sure! Although I will say that I like the atmosphere and everyone has been really nice when I go in with questions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:14 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

good to know! the mr. is a big fan of tiramisu. we'll have to check it out. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So good, I would eat it everyday if I could afford it. You might want to call and make sure they have it before heading over though. Because their daily tarts change all the time so you never know what they are going to have on any given day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

good tip. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 pm 

Eric. wrote:
saw a friend went here yesterday... im intrigued!

http://www.koliyanphilly.com

So I was wondering when this place was going to open. And apparently it's been open for at least a few weeks, but I have literally biked past it every single day and never noticed it because there is no signage (yet.) Anyway, I just went here after lunch today to check it out. I was a little confused by the disheveled look of the place and questioned whether they were open or not, but they were. It's one storefront split by Peddler's Coffee and Koliyan. I was really looking forward to trying some Cambodian deserts, as they advertise but they only had a mango tapioca available today. It was tasty, a little on the runny side but still tasty. They also had 2 lunch options - a really interesting summer-type roll with various mushrooms and rice vermicelli and an interesting sounding soup option. I've never been to PS&Co/Pure Sweets/whatever it's called, but I imagine it's similar if not more authentic at Koliyan. I had just eaten lunch (Hot Diggity on South Street just expanded their menu including more vegan options (burger, seitan wings, onion rings) and a price hike on a plain vegan dog FYI. Meh.) so I didn't try the lunch options. The owner did say she was still recipe testing so the menu isn't solidified yet. It changes daily and I guess the options are limited. She almost mentioned an occasional weekend brunch (coconut custard Cambodian pancakes!) that I guess they announce as it happens.

Anyway, I got an iced coffee and about a 4 oz. serving of mango tapioca for $6.45. They only have Califia almonod milk as a creamer option - which I really hate, especially in coffee, but whatever. I plan on visiting often as it's in my route to/from work but I hope they get settled in soon.

Also, Dottie's Donuts looking to open a storefront in West Philly!!!! http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20140918_Doughnuts_and_coffee__vegan_version.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

nice! thanks on the info and didnt know that about Hot Diggity... i live for wings!!!

saw that article! very good news. i went to the keystone golf place in fishtown to get the giant doughnut a couple weeks back

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

just saw First Street Hoagies gonna have veg options. should be opening today/this weekend

https://www.facebook.com/pages/First-St ... 3231859359

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:50 am 

Damn Nicole Marquis, you're doing it again!! We're getting a forking vegan taqueria now. I can't handle it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/HipCityVegs-Marquis-opening-Rittenhouse-taqueria.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Damn Nicole Marquis, you're doing it again!! We're getting a forking vegan taqueria now. I can't handle it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/HipCityVegs-Marquis-opening-Rittenhouse-taqueria.html

Get out! That's frigging awesome!!! Philly rules!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

DAMMIT

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

Flora Restaurant is opening on Tuesday, November 11th in Jenkintown. The 16-seat vegan BYOB is located at 307 Old York Road and is being opened by Jennifer and Jose Vargas, the owners of nearby Leila’s Bistro and Forcella Restaurant.

In the kitchen is chef Max Hosey, who just a moment ago was in the kitchen at Charlie was a sinner. Hosey has worked at restaurants like Townhall in San Francisco, Manersa in Los Gatos, California and locally at Mica in Chestnut Hill.

Flora will serve dinner Tuesday through Saturday, offering a three-course savory dinner for $30 per person, $40 with dessert.

With just 16-seats, reservations are strongly recommended.

Opening menu at Flora Restaurant in Jenkintown

First Course:

Jerusalem artichoke soup, crispy shallots, black garlic
Harvest salad, truffle vinaigrette, local field greens
Fuyu persimmon, mission figs, pine nuts

Second Course:

Traditional tamales, chipotle, salsa verde
Country fried hen of the woods, truffle agave grits, okra
Hoppin John's black eye peas, charred avocado, snow peas
Spiced cauliflower, royal trumpet, dried fruit

Third Course:

Wild mushroom duxelle, potato crisp, mushroom jus
Roasted brussels sprouts, brunt onion marmalade, sushi rice crisp
Grilled artichokes, broccoli rabe, meye lemon, white beans
Traditional pepper pot, red lentils, sweet potatoes

Fourth Course:

Quince espuma, almond cake, apple cider granita
Beignets and chocolate
Plantains, coconut, agave peanuts

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2014/11/10/opening-week-flora-restaurant-vegetarian-restaurant-jenkintown/#g8B3usXXU7J3iZbi.99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:06 pm 

I finally stopped into PS&Co yesterday for the first time. Yooooooo, they had a 2-3inch diameter cookie sandwich (peanut butter cookie and salted caramel filling) for $7.75!!! I get it was probably high quality expensive ingredients, but the cookie, although tasty, was gritty. I can't believe I spent the majority of a $10 bill on a cookie sandwich!! The ones at Sweet Freedom are larger and much cheaper/reasonably priced. I got a coffee as well, and the brazilian nut milk was probably tasty on its own, but didn't mix well with coffee, or maybe their coffee was shiitake to begin with, I don't know, I couldn't finish my small cup. I also bought a "tart" which was really just a mousse cup. It was reasonably sized for the price, I must say and really tasty. It had some type of chocolate crumble on the bottom, a SUPER rich chocolate mousse middle and a nice coconut cream topping - all in perfect proportions (I like creamy things and the coconut cream was a nice thick layer, so it was goood!) Anyway, my bill was $21 for a small coffee, a mousse tart and a cookie sandwich. I don't think I'll return unless I was in the neighborhood and they had the tiramisu tart Gracia mentioned - I bet it's awesome as it seems like the tarts are the to-get thing for your value here.