| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [philly] ethiopian restaurants
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ok, let's use this space to argue the merits of the different ethiopian restaurants.

i could have sworn we had this conversation before, but i couldn't find it in the searchy thing, so it must have been on board 1.0

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Suzuki - Abysinnia is the best as far as Ethiopian goes. ALL my west philly friends advise me against Dahlak due to serious health code violations. I was curious though and sacrificed the mice/roach sightings and asked my bf to come with me for dinner once. The food was really good, but I wouldn't go back any time soon.

since there is a general agreement thus far on west philly/ethiopian food, can we all agree on abysinnia? I'm all about it since I live a block away haha.

I guess the question is, when is good for everybody? Somebody wanna take a stab at coming up with possible dates?

i like dahlak better. i like the atmosphere, the servers are nicer, and i honestly think the food is better.

... which brings me to... has anyone ever had ethio? i've never heard about it, and there's a groupon today. (which i OBVIOUSLY bought) i'm looking forward to trying it out.

"philadelphia PA- $20 for $40 Worth of Ethiopian Cuisine at Ethio Cafe and Restaurant - http://t.co/zhtKbVI (#vegan friendly)"

Post subject: Re: [philly] ethiopian restaurants
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I haven't been to Ethio Cafe yet out of principle since it is literally next door to Abysinnia. It looks nice inside however I never see anybody eating there. I'll eventually try it out and give them a chance. I wish that groupon was $10 for $20, that is more reasonable for cheap Ethiopian food (as I imagine their prices are about the same as their competition ~$9-10 a plate). If you go, please let us know how it compares to Dahlak and Abysinnia.

And since this is the Ethiopian thread, I'll mention that there is also Gojjo on Baltimore (never been) and Kaffa Crossing which is an ethiopian restaurant and cafe with coffee, smoothies and sandwiches (including a vegan "tuna" which was pretty decent actually). Kaffa Crossing is very vegan friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:42 am 

ooooh! i will definitely have to try the tuna. (i really like the tuna wrap from govindas, but it gives me the burps)

as for the health code violations at dahlak, i've never gotten sick from there, if that means anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yeah my sensitive tummy didn't get sick either eating at Dahlak, and I too thought it was good food...oh well. I mean, for them to still be in business they would have had to clean their mess up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Does anyone know if the 2 Dahlak locations are owned by the same people? I've eaten at both and I felt the food quality was not as great at the Germantown one. I usually go to Abyssinia because it's always delicious! But yeah, the service is way slow. I've literally stood there for 10-15 mins waiting to pay so I can leave!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Abysinnia is the only one I have been too a few times, and I like it alot..... but i bought the groupon today. Looking to try the others soon/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:48 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

i taught the daughter of the people who own dahlak, so out of principle, i like to go there. they are great people and the food is good.

i have been to gojjo and abysinnia before and both are also decent. ultimately, i prefer dahlak...for the food and people that work there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've only been to dahlak. And they have the best karaoke.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

I went to Kaffa Crossing last weekend and enjoyed the veggie combo and especially the shiro wot was delicious! 1 veggie combo + 1 order shiro wot was plenty of food for two people. All vegan options were clearly labeled as vegan which was amazing. I should try the vegan tuna next time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm 

penguingirl wrote:
All vegan options were clearly labeled as vegan which was amazing.

awesome!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Nobody has mentioned Almaz on 20th yet? They are so nice in there, and it's near Capogiro!

The vegetarian selection *looks* vegan: http://almazcafe.com/menu