| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Royal Tavern
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I finally got to go to Royal Tavern tonight, and was impressed with their vegan options. I had the grilled sweet potato banh mi sandwich, and my BF had something gigantic with tempeh (tempeh club maybe?). Both were delicious! I don't even usually like tempeh, but that was a good sandwich. Both came with a yummy dill pickle and good fries and a little dish of vegan mayo for dipping the fries. We weren't sure at first if the mayo was vegan or not but we asked and they said if you order a vegan meal it comes with vegan mayo. We were too stuffed to have dessert, but I asked and they said that nearly all their desserts were vegan.

Post subject: Re: Royal Tavern
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I LOVE Royal Tavern. The tempeh club is one of the best sandwiches ever. Their hummus platter is pretty good too, but gigantic (it might have feta on it, which you can ask for without).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have actually been here once. And the tempeh club was delish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

luftpost wrote:
The tempeh club is one of the best sandwiches ever.

This is the damn truth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:35 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

yep the tempeh club is well worth going out of your way for. they have a good happy hour too, i think 1/2 off drafts, maybe 5-7. the vegan sloppy joe is eh and im not a fan of their brunch.

also note you may have to wait a while for a 4top if your going on a weekend night, but the foods worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Was just thinking about going here for dinner Friday, I love royal tavern. The tempeh club and sweet potato bahn mi are deeeelicious! Love the fries too.

Thoughts on the pope? I havent been there since the early summer and I noticed the menu has become more vegan friendly since then. I thought it was pretty good, not my favorite gastropub, but still pretty good for what it is. I saw they have vegan mac n cheez on the menu now, very curious about that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 am 

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Thoughts on the pope? I havent been there since the early summer and I noticed the menu has become more vegan friendly since then. I thought it was pretty good, not my favorite gastropub, but still pretty good for what it is. I saw they have vegan mac n cheez on the menu now, very curious about that.

I'm a big fan of POPE, though I only discovered it recently and have not had a ton of visits. I like the menu, but haven't tried anything to recommend. Mostly I love the (weeknight) atmosphere and how you get a great mix of old-locals and new-locals. The weekends are really busy there. The staff - so far as I've experienced - is awesome. The bartenders I've had are cool and I have a crush on at least two of the waitresses.

What are your favorite gastropubs? And, btw, what is a gastropub?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

goddamn i want a tempeh club so bad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I went to POPE once and probably won't go back since I found it quite disappointing. We got the seitan fingers, vegan cheesesteak, and fries with vegan cheese. The seitan fingers were good. The fries were not good (limp and soggy) and the "cheese" that came with them was some sort of bland creamy sauce stuff. It reminded me of my very first attempt back in the day at making vegan cheese sauce. The cheesesteak was just blah and kind of gross. Probably if I had drunk a lot more beer than I did I would have thought it was perfect bar food. On the plus side they had a really good beer selection, but so does Royal Tavern and the food there was a million times better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:50 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

philadelphegan wrote:
What are your favorite gastropubs? And, btw, what is a gastropub?

My favorites are Royal Tavern and Belgian Cafe. Not sure the definition--I always just assumed it was a bar with a better menu than just standard bar food (like cooked entrees instead of just wings, fries and beer nuts).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:52 pm 

littlegarlic wrote:
My favorites are Royal Tavern and Belgian Cafe. Not sure the definition--I always just assumed it was a bar with a better menu than just standard bar food (like cooked entrees instead of just wings, fries and beer nuts).

I was ready to mock this term (though not you, because I have certainly heard it elsewhere) but...
Wikipedia wrote:
A gastropub concentrates on quality food. The name is a combination of pub and gastronomy and was coined in 1991 when David Eyre and Mike Belben took over The Eagle pub in Clerkenwell, London.[56] The concept of a restaurant in a pub reinvigorated both pub culture and British dining,[57] though has occasionally attracted criticism for potentially removing the character of traditional pubs.[58]

...I would never mock a creation of English pub culture. Hrmm... I'm thinking Eulogy. I'm often thinking Eulogy actually. Love that place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm going here for brunch/lunch tomorrow! Wow having visitors in knocks a whole lotta of must-go restaurants of my list! Should get the tempeh club or the sweet potato banh mi? Or something else? It looks like the tempeh club is the winner but I need more talking. :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

tempeh club!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Definitely get the tempeh club! So good!

As far as the POPE, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to eat there. However, it is lovely for when you're out anyway and find yourself suddenly hungry and you can order some fried food to go with your beer. I like the seitan fingers. Their vegan cheese sauce is typically terrible. I think it is flour and water. Sometimes they have interesting specials.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 pm 
Hip Goiter

Holy shiitake.
Best. sandwich. EVER!!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:38 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
Holy shiitake.
Best. sandwich. EVER!!!!

Oh you're just saying that.
Must. Get. To Royal Tavern.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:26 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The POPE has been my neighborhood and go to bar for years and I'm a big fan. The real reason to go there is for the beer, not so much for the food. Their beer list is fantastic and they change their draft list frequently. The vegan/vegetarian food has changed and while there's more options, it could be a bit better. It's not bad, but I want it to be awesome. Hopefully, it will get there. The bartenders there are super wonderful and if you don't go on a weekend night, you'll have a chill experience.

I love the tempeh club at Royal Tavern. It's soooo good, and they give you so much! Great sandwich. For real. I don't get over there much because it can get really crowded and if you don't have a table or a bar seat, there's really no where for you to enjoy your beer and hang out for awhile.

I really like the South Philadelphia Tap Room. It's right down the street for me, but that's not the only reason I love it. Good beer. Good food. Awesome happy hour. Nice environment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:43 pm 

I finally tried the sweet potato bahn mi. Really nice sandwich. Not filling, but the veggies were fresh and tasy and the sweet potato was nice and soft. I also tried, for the first time, the smoked cole slaw - fantastic. I live on the wrong side of town. All the good stuff is in the lower-right corner and I'm in the middle-left. Bah.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I need to visit this place again. Last time I went it was crowded and loud. And they shoved three of us into a small corner with a tiny table even though we told them we were ordering dinner.

I think a Saturday lunch trip is needed! The tempeh club is too good to not go back.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

I went to royal with some friends the other night. None of us were impressed. We shared the sloppy joe (which came on a long roll instead of a hamburger bun), the banh mi and the club.

The tempeh on the club was very plain-it tasted like it hadn't been marinated in anything. The sloppy joe was ok. It was weird that it came on a long roll. As for the banh mi, I think it's misnamed. It's more of a sweet potato hoagie; it doesn't have the flavor profile of a traditional banh mi