| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brighton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I can't find a general Brighton thread.

I just wanted to have a bit of a moan about the lack of eating out options in the evenings. We want to eat out tomorrow night but Terre a Terre is fully booked and I can't think where else we could go. I'm so uninspired by the vegan options at Food For Friends at the moment. If I was on my own I'd eat at Moshimo but my o/h is not very adventurous with food and doesn't want to try them (and I don't think he'd enjoy any of the dishes there or from the current FFF menu). It's supposed to be vegan heaven here but once night falls it's slim pickings.

Post subject: Re: Brighton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Hmmm, yep that's definitely a bit of an issue in Brighton. Off of the top of my head I can think of a few places aside from Terre a Terre, FFF or Moshimo. There's Kambi's, Pho, Duke's at Komedia, WaiKikaMooKau should be running summer hours by now & closing around 8 or 9 Fri & Sat, Pizza Face is great - delivery to your hotel or take out to eat on the beach or in a pub nearby. The new Iydea will be opening from Tuesday & they'll be open in the evening but that's no good to you now. If none of those options appeal there's always Wagamama!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm 

Oh yeah and Planet India.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks Jojo. Does Waikika do alcohol in the evenings do you know? We prefer to get a table for 8 or 9 ish but could go a bit earlier if needs be to catch them.
Or we may just end up in the local Indian (Pavel) or Thai (Sawadee). I just fancied a nice meal with red wine, which is pretty impossible at non veggie places and of course doesn't go with Indian or Thai food.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:47 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Kambi's is BYOB.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:45 am 

Efcliz wrote:
Kambi's is BYOB.

So is Planet India.

WaiKika do have alcohol in the evening (& during the day), if you're gonna go there I'd call or pop in during the day just to check I have those opening hours right. I'm not in Brighton or I'd go & check for ya!

I've actually never had Thai in Brighton so if you go to Sawadee lemme know what the vegan options are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I recall The King & I having very good veggie options, but this was probably about ten years ago. Japanese food is bountiful in Brighton, and they are all fairly vegan-friendly. Bombay Aloo is usually about 80% vegan, but what's on offer changes. I love that place. There are a few good Iranian places that were pretty veggie-friendly towards Hove, but I think again that I'm going back in time a bit.

I am struggling to think of non "ethnic" places, though, and feeling very old as half the restaurants I'm thinking of probably closed five years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

When I was in Brighton last I went to this place called Yum Yum Ninja one night. It did like... Asian fusion tapas, I guess. Like small plates of noodles and dumplings/dim sum type stuff. All their vegan options were labelled and it was pretty tasty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

jojo wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Kambi's is BYOB.

So is Planet India.

WaiKika do have alcohol in the evening (& during the day), if you're gonna go there I'd call or pop in during the day just to check I have those opening hours right. I'm not in Brighton or I'd go & check for ya!

I've actually never had Thai in Brighton so if you go to Sawadee lemme know what the vegan options are.

Good to know about the BYO places. And you're so sweet to offer to check Waikika for us! But it's easy enough for me to call in or ring them today. I should have thought to ask yesterday when I was picking up one of your cupcakes!

Pavel has been excellent whenever I've been there. I've eaten a Sawadee a few times and it's okay but not an amazing choice. There are a few suitable tofu dishes but make sure to quiz them about fish sauce. We also ate at Sabai because they have a separate veggie and vegan menu but on questioning them about which items were vegan we were horrified to discover many of the dishes on the veggie menu contained shrimp paste. I'd like to try Gars as that looks like it has a few decent options (subject to the usual questioning - I haven't been in there to ask) but the o/h is not keen. Thinking about it I doubt he'll agree to go back to Sawadee again.

Eating out with my o/h is often a bit of a pain. Sadly for me, as someone who is obsessed with food, he is rather uinterested in it and often does not eat a proper meal. He is adverse to trying new food and I've become quite good at predicting what he will enjoy and unless I'm quite confident he'd like whatever the food in question is I won't push it because that way he trusts my opinion and will, from time to time, agree to try something new. When we first started going out he wouldn't eat pizza, Indian or Chinese food and back then I was a veggie and that meant we were restricted to one local American diner style place that had one veggie dish. At least things improved from then I suppose and at least he is veggie now! He used to have his mother in tears with food refusal as a child and even now I find like her all those years ago that seemingly favourite foods fall out of favour very easily and I end up with a fridge full of uneaten yogurts or cottage pies.

He doesn't like most vegetables, hates houmous, olives, aubergines and will only tolerate falafels if they are the only option on a buffet and he is starving so Lebanese would not work when I'm out with him but i love that stuff so will check out Kambi another time. I like Moshimo, Yo! Sushi and Pompoko (I'm not that keen on the vegan options at Wagamama or Pho myself) but he won't try Japanese and I haven't pushed it because I don't think he'd like it. Last time I looked Planet India had a very restricted menu and if the dishes of the day don't include a chickpea or potato based curry he won't eat it - and if they do I'm not thrilled as to me that's a bit dull! We have been known to end up at the chip shop on the corner of Ship Street despite the walk from where we are because they cook their chips separately but I want a nice meal out with wine.

I really miss Aloka for eating out together in the evenings as the less formal structure meant he could just have soup if he didn't fancy anything from the buffet. FFF has been good in the past when it had bangers and mash or something but pasta or gnocchi is out of the question for him and anyway I find their current vegan options pitiful. I feel like I've stepped back in time to the 'one veggie lasagne on the menu' days when the vegan option is always a curry (are you listening Iydea?!) whatever the weather. If I want a curry I'd rather have a proper one from an Indian restaurant, but maybe that's just me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:54 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

What about the George pub? Last time I went there they had good vegan options and the food was nice. I don't remember what time they stop doing food on an evening though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I was thinking about The George (or Prince George as it now is) while soaking in the bath. It's definitely worth a thought although I think they also stop serving at 9. We haven't been for a while because they often make mistakes on the vegan food.

Loving Hut is another option but has a cafe type environment, no alcohol and I think they close around 7.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:45 am 

I loved Gars the one time I went. We had the veggie set meal and asked for it to be vegan and spicy and it was fantastic. We're going in a few weeks time and have been having the same Saturday night dilemma as you as we too have been to Aloka on the last few trips. My husband isn't at all fussy though. I think we may go to Gars again as we haven't been for a few years. I'm definitely with you on the FFF thing though. Their vegan starters haven't changed for about 8 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Efcliz wrote:
I loved Gars the one time I went. We had the veggie set meal and asked for it to be vegan and spicy and it was fantastic.

I have a soft spot for Gars because that's where I went for a meal on my twenty-first birthday, a hundred million years ago...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:20 am 

Bloody hell. I didn't realise it was that old.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Catwalk Cupcakes on Bond Street are now doing vegan cakes, sometimes cupcakes and sometimes gateaux. Yesterday they had a chocolate raspberry gateau and one last slice of coffee walnut which I took. It was very tasty but rather stale especially on one side where it had obviously been cut for longer so I might enquire how old the cake is next time if only one or two slices are left. And it was pretty pricey at £3.80 - but it's nice to have another option to bring people for a character tea and cake outing (I've always done Metro Deco til now).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anyone considering the Prince George should read jojo's blog post about it first.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We've decided to go to the Earth & Stars. They (like the Prince George) close the kitchen at 9 so want last orders by 8.45pm.

Waikikamookau close at 8pm (and that's when they actually shut so you'd have to be there in good time to be ready to leave by then).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:58 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
Anyone considering the Prince George should read jojo's blog post about it first.

I would also read my blog post RE: Yum Yum Ninja before considering going there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:03 pm 

Oh also Rentaghost my partner was unsure about Japanese we first went to Moshimo but as you can just pick a few small things it's quite informal so he can choose not to eat or to just try something of yours that he thinks looks good if he wants to. If he hates everything he can just get chips afterwards!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

rachell37 wrote:

I've eaten there once or twice since that review two years ago and it's been okay but as the review says, nothing amazing. I find the Sunday roast more appealing than the regular menu. For this evening I'm choosing from a bunch of places where the food isn't really inspiring to me. I'm not really a burger fan but the Earth & Stars has a burger I like the sound of, I've had good food in there in the past and they make a real effort and are clued up on drinks too. It is also possible to reserve a table for two so that swung it. (At the Prince George they only reserve for four or more people. In fact recently I went in with friends for a drink and pretty much the entire place was booked out by someone so we couldn't get a seat at all.)

Regarding the review it's a tricky one really. I guess you are at risk of a slip up in a veggie place as much as an omni place but somehow the latter is a more uncomfortable thought. (By a slip up I mean on vegan ingredients - there is no way the allergy slip up should happen these days especially when you have made your allergy clear when ordering AND your server was the manager.)

Obviously when you experience an issue like that in person, especially if the staff deal with it badly, it's awful. I'll never forget an experience I had many years ago at Tearoom Des Artistes in Battersea. The way we were treated when we complained was truly dreadful and I would never dream of setting foot back in that place ever, even 20+ years later (if it is even still there).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 pm 

Yeah I'll go into The George for the Vegan Group meet up (which, thinking about it, may have been the reason half the pub was booked!) but their awful attitude means that I won't eat there. They told me that they wanted to "move away from vegan and vegetarian clientele and focus on drinkers so that they'd make more money". I hate that attitude, they should have just improved the food and become an awesome vegan gastro style pub like all of the places in Portland or Viasko in Berlin!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

jojo wrote:
Oh also Rentaghost my partner was unsure about Japanese we first went to Moshimo but as you can just pick a few small things it's quite informal so he can choose not to eat or to just try something of yours that he thinks looks good if he wants to. If he hates everything he can just get chips afterwards!

Haha! Somehow I missed your posts above mine before. Next time I go I'll take another look at the menu and see if I think he'd go for anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

rentaghost wrote:
Catwalk Cupcakes . . . pretty pricey at £3.80

I made a mistake, they are actually £3.40 a slice. I tried a fresh slice of the coffee walnut cake again today and had a forkful of the chocolate raspberry one. Both were lovey, fresh and moist. They have a nice amount of frosting on the top and have four sponge layers with a small amount of frosting or jam in between.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've seen the Chilli Pickle has vegan things on its menu but I've never seen it recommended by any vegans, is there a particular reason or do people just prefer other places?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 am 

KatyCarr I've never spotted vegan labelling on their menu before. Thanks for the tip! I think everything would probably be too spicy for me but I might have to check it out with friends sometime anyway.

rentaghost I loved the chocolate raspberry cake from Catwalk Cales when I tried it but the price & size of the slice has put me off going back for more.