| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manchester lunch suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm meeting my Mum and Aunty tomorrow in Manchester to go shopping and have a spot of lunch. They aren't vegan but they'll eat anything. We normally go to Tampopo because it's easy, but we may try somewhere else tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions of other places to try not too far out of the main shopping areas? Doesn't have to be vegetarian as long as there's something for me to eat. Not Indian, please. Also, suggestions for somewhere nice to stop for coffee that has soya milk and preferably isn't one of the big chains.

Post subject: Re: Manchester lunch suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hi!
Yesterday, it was cidersmurfette's birthday and we were in Manchester city centre during the day. We wanted some fairly light/healthy food for lunch since I'd booked a table at a thai place for the evening and I didn't want to risk not being able to eat crispy mock duck pancakes or seitan chicken green curry, so we decided to head to Earth Cafe for the first time since our first ever date (ha, yeah!). That time we were totally foiled by their failure to have any cakes or tea making facilities, but yesterday it was as great as I remember it being at least 8 years ago when I first ate there...
Very good home made veggie burgers (that CS had), and I had a really tasty portion of tofu spinach quiche with some mixed salad leaves and coleslaw... and cake!

that's a slice of strawberry sponge cake (on the left) and a slice of chocolate cake with cream, that we shared. sooo tasty.

anyway yeah, earth cafe!
or (and bear in mind that i haven't been yet so no actual experience to back this up!) Bistro 1847 is meant to be very very good too...

both of these are within 5 minutes' walk of market street/piccadilly gardens so very central basically.

as for tea/coffee, the main option that springs to mind is Teacup, which is the DJ Mr Scruff's tea/coffee place in the Northern Quarter (about 2 minutes away from Earth Cafe) and certainly used to offer soya milk, but I've just asked via twitter if they still do and will update as soon as I get an answer! I'm afraid I can't give you more options than that because I don't drink coffee and drink tea sans milk of any kind so it's not something I tend to be aware of...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm 

Thanks!! I've peered in to Earth Cafe before but dismissed it as being a bit hippyish, but without any real reason. I'm still a little wary of taking non vegans but we'll have a look. I'll definitely try it next time I'm on my own though. And I'll hunt out Teacup.

Have you ever been to any of the Odd, Odder, Oddest bars?

Last edited by Efcliz on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

well i know what you mean, but i took my (omni) parents there a good few years ago and they enjoyed it, and it's definitely a lot less hippyish now than it was back then! but yeah, fair point!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm 

Well, we might give it a go then!!! It'll be up to them really. They usually stick with what they know so Tampopo is likely but I can give them the option.

I think I edited my post while you were typing, have you been to Odd, Odder or Oddest?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hi!

I've only had the veggie breakfast in oddest but it was really good. Very fresh and tasty. Again, I don't have milky tea so its not something I look for. If anyone fancies pizza there's Dough in the Northern Quarter who do dairy free option for pizzas and pasta and its deffo a fave of mine. Hope you find what you're after!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ha!
yeah, oddest only for me too (it's midway between my flat and unicorn grocery, basically!) but AFAIK all 3 do the exact same food and with that in mind then you'd be fine going to either of the central ones too. same with them when it comes to hot drinks though, i have no idea if they offer soya milk. sorry!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am 

We went to Odd and the vegan breakfast was excellent. There was quite a bit to choose from. On the way we passed Oklahoma which had soya milk, vegan cake, vegan ice cream and various sandwiches. We might try there next time now they're such seasoned adventurers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

oklahoma was always decent, but just basically stuff you can get in health food shop fridges... but yes, sounds like they may have upped their game!
good work on the vegan breakfasts; assuming they're the same as the ones in oddest then yes they're brilliant!
teacup just replied to me at about 6pm to confirm they have soya milk as an option too...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:28 am 

Oh thanks. Coincidentally that was probably just as we were passing Teacup and debating whether we wanted tea or alcohol. Alcohol won!

I'm going to e-mail Odd later and ask them to consider stocking soya milk. It seems very odd (ha) to have such a vegan friendly menu with staff who don't bat an eyelid at the word vegan but no soya milk. Incidentally both my Mum and Aunty were thrilled with their meaty dishes so it's a good choice for a mixed crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

xherbivorex wrote:
Hi!
Yesterday, it was cidersmurfette's birthday and we were in Manchester city centre during the day. We wanted some fairly light/healthy food for lunch since I'd booked a table at a thai place for the evening and I didn't want to risk not being able to eat crispy mock duck pancakes or seitan chicken green curry

Erm, which thai place sells this amazing food?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:30 am 

The Thai place I've been to a couple of times is Chaophraya, and it was very good. (but no seitan! Where is that place???)

I e-mailed Odd about soya milk but didn't get a reply. I'm not surprised now since there was apparently some trouble in that area last night, but I e-mailed on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

wowetflutter wrote:
xherbivorex wrote:
Hi!
Yesterday, it was cidersmurfette's birthday and we were in Manchester city centre during the day. We wanted some fairly light/healthy food for lunch since I'd booked a table at a thai place for the evening and I didn't want to risk not being able to eat crispy mock duck pancakes or seitan chicken green curry

Erm, which thai place sells this amazing food?

laughing buddha.
it's in didsbury village, opposite the shell garage on wilmslow road on the way through to parr's wood.

chaophraya in the city centre is pretty good too though...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:20 am 
Huffs Nooch

And the salt and pepper tofu is amazing!!! *drool*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 pm 

Oh man, sounds like I'll be having to go to the laughing buddha soon then.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've just booked a table at Australasia in Spinningfields for my best friends birthday after emailing them about vegan options and they sent me a list of about 15 dishes, so looks promising. And they apparently do amazing cocktails :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:55 am 

Vladan wrote:
I've just booked a table at Australasia in Spinningfields for my best friends birthday after emailing them about vegan options and they sent me a list of about 15 dishes, so looks promising. And they apparently do amazing cocktails :-)

Oh I live pretty near there, would it be possible for you to list what they told you was vegan? I hear that place is pretty good and it seems like a good place to go with omni friends.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

wowetflutter wrote:
Vladan wrote:

Oh I live pretty near there, would it be possible for you to list what they told you was vegan? I hear that place is pretty good and it seems like a good place to go with omni friends.

Here's the email they sent me:

Dishes that are suitable for Vegans are:
Small plates - Cucumber, tofu and asparagus Californian Rolls
Small plates – Pickled ginger, avocado and cucumber Californian Rolls
Small plates - Summer Vegetable Tempura
Small plates - Popcorn Tempura
Small plates - Edamame pan fried with garlic and ginger
Small plates – Salt & pepper tofu with sweet beetroot
Small plates – Choi sum (without oyster sauce)
Small plates – Sweet potato with teriyaki dressing
Small plates – Asparagus with sweet sesame glaze
Salads - Green papaya, bean sprouts, mint and coriander with pink grapefruit

I have spoken with our chef and we can customise a few dishes to accommodate your booking.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:17 pm 

After being given duff info by Odd bar staff about their Saturday opening times I found myself in the Northern Quarter in the rain pre match today (10:30 ish) so I went to Oklahoma. Overpriced for what it was. My sandwich was tiny so I had a piece of cake. I'm no cake expert by any means but even I could tell it was dry. Soya latte was ok and nice atmosphere but wouldn't rush back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The thirsty scholar on oxford road just by the station normally does vegan pub food but its being done up at the mo. Apparently the chef is currently doing food at the seven oaks pub near chinatown mon-fri 12-6. I have yet to try it but am planning on it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Eta: think I got that wrong. Its 12-3 mon-fri and 12-5 sat! Oops

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:39 am 

Yeah, I spotted that a few weeks ago when I went to Bistro 1878, it's just opposite. Looks like a good value studenty menu.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Efcliz wrote:
Yeah, I spotted that a few weeks ago when I went to Bistro 1878, it's just opposite. Looks like a good value studenty menu.

if you can ever remember the old Cafe Pop on oldham street, when they used to do a veggie menu with the most immense vegan breakfasts (it was at least 7 or 8 years ago when it was great though!), then it's the chef from those days that does the thirsty scholar/seven oaks stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

cidersmurfette wrote:
The thirsty scholar on oxford road just by the station normally does vegan pub food but its being done up at the mo. Apparently the chef is currently doing food at the seven oaks pub near chinatown mon-fri 12-6. I have yet to try it but am planning on it!

I went to the Seven Oaks last month and had a really tasty breakfast. Was really cheap too.

Also some feedback on Australasia, I can honestly say it was the best dining experience I've had, the food was out of this word as were the cocktails. They also had cucumber water which was so refreshing, and the wine menus arrived on Ipads which blew me away. Worth a visit if you want to treat yourself/ someone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 am 

I had such an amazing sandwich the other day at Simple in Manchester. It wasn't for lunch though - I'd gone there for dinner/ tea/ whatever you folks call your evening meal. Simple isn't a place that I'd usually go to, but I was meeting a friend for food and everywhere in town was really busy but we managed to get a table in there. Simple is actually pretty vegan friendly, in that they have several vegan options on the menu. None of that having to ask for them to leave things off to make it vegan.

Anyway, I had roasted aubergine, spinach, mushrooms and vegan mozzarella on a toasted foccacia. Served with some really tasty home–made chips. I want to go back so that I can eat it again.