| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Veg
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Efcliz wrote:
I can't stand them; they have no redeeming features AT ALL.

this.

they showed us all how to ruin cauliflowers on great british food revival the other night.
they're a pair of dickheads.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:32 pm 
Ninja Master

I'm not a fan either. Even if I wasn't veg I wouldn't want to eat anything I've seen them make.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

...so they killed a lamb...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Halos wrote:
...so they killed a lamb...

D:

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Made the beetroot tarte tatin today. I sliced whole beets rather than baby ones, but otherwise followed the recipe (just used more oil than any butter)

It was 'OK' but then in fairness I'm not a great pastry fan and would probably have enjoyed the beetroot more in a curry! I took a photo, the finished dish looks pretty: http://tinyurl.com/7babu2p

KrC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Looks cool! I have been meaning to try this since that first episode, but the only beetroots I have recieved in the veg-box delivery thus far were ooooold and rubbish (first time anything like that has happened with getting a veggie box delivered).
Ive never made any sort of tarte tatin before, did you use a special pan you can put in the oven? I'm not sure my non-stick one would go down well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:56 pm 

Some beetroots are getting old this time of year and the recipe does call for baby beats that are usually sweet and also tender
We have 'catering' pans which all have metal handles so easy enough to put in the oven, but <TBO> a round baking tin would probably be OK.
Further debrief of my version also suggests the pastry should be pretty thin (mine was too thick)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm 

I made the cauli and chickpea curry on Friday, and the fennel and squash lasagne (using butternut, soy milk and melty scheese) tonight and they were epic. Am looking forward to working my way through most of the rest of the book - an awful lot of stuff can be easily veganised by using non-dairy milk/butter and leaving out the egg toppings.

Haven't seen the series though...I do internet tv and it hasn't been up yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 pm 

It's available to view via the internet here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/river-cottage/episode-guide/series-16

I skipped the episode that warned 'scenes of animal slaughter'

The recipe book is OK, but on the whole I've found the series a little disappointing. I suppose to be fair it's not aimed at vegetarians or vegans but to encourage omnivores to eat less meat/fish.

KrC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:16 pm 

Schweet! Will stream some of that over the weekend - much obliged.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

This is my first post, and I risk sounding like a complete idiot as I might be completely mistaken, and do correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Hugh Fearnley Gurnley had a whole series dedicated to turning vegetarians/vegans back to meat by essentially pummelling them into submission by telling them that they were stupid, knew nothing about food, and were missing out on a whole world of fun. I'm pretty sure he had them assist in the slaughter a cow too.

I might have my wires completely crossed, but I do have a vague recollection of such televisual events. I didn't like him much after this, and if it wasn't him, then I limply apologise for intensely disliking him for all this time.

This aside, I saw one episode of this and found it quite enjoyable.
I like the sound of the aforementioned cauliflower pakoras!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Lemonade wrote:
This is my first post, and I risk sounding like a complete idiot as I might be completely mistaken, and do correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Hugh Fearnley Gurnley had a whole series dedicated to turning vegetarians/vegans back to meat by essentially pummelling them into submission by telling them that they were stupid, knew nothing about food, and were missing out on a whole world of fun. I'm pretty sure he had them assist in the slaughter a cow too.

I don't remember this at all, and it sounds pretty unlikely. Do you think you might be thinking of Kill It, Cook It, Eat It?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:13 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

He's done similar things, but not so agressively, and nto for a whole series, so you might be thinking of a different series. He did have a vegetarian butcher's apprentice for a while who wanted to eat meat as her wedding present to her husband.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made a couple of things over the holidays. I tweaked the leek and bean soup with chilli oil so that I used half the leeks and the rest fennel, and liked it a lot. The merguez oven chips were ultra delicious as part of a tapas meal, and the grilled aubergines with honey and thyme were very easily veganizable, quick and tasty.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:12 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So I finally saw an episode of this! It wasn't bad, and he is certainly enthusiastic about vegetables and has the grace to be honest about his reasons for not eating meat as a research project. It's a shame that he seems to think that milk is a vegetable, because after the brief raw section, literally everything he made had cheese or crème fraîche in. Oh, and to make vegetables more appetising, he drowned them in melted butter, which is something that actually makes me wretch (although I understand some people like it, but they are misinformed and it is actually not very nice).

Then he invited two raw vegans (among others, I think it everyone he'd featured in the series) for dinner and served baked pumpkins stuffed with cheese as his main. They brought their own dessert! One of them was caught holding a cooked appetiser, and when he bounded up to her and asked her if she'd given it up for the day, she basically said she was holding it as not to seem rude. Clever Hugh, how much you've learnt!

And all the while, he was saying "And it's all made from vegetables!" because cheese is a vegetable now.

And then he ate a fish.

Sorry for the thread necromancy.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:13 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I absolutely love the book. But then I have a ridiculous crush on Hugh FW and love all his books so that's not hugely suprising... He seems quite conscious of vegans in the book, all the vegan recipes are marked and there's lots of recipes which just need simple subs (butter-marg, milk-soy).

It would be good if he'd had a go at a couple of raw desserts. There are a couple of cake and ice cream recipes in the book which are vegetable based (beetroot ice cream anyone?) and I'd rather see something which was vegan/raw and not made of vegetables.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:08 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi,
I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd just let you all know that the book is currently 5 GBP on Amazon, so if you were considering buying it, now might be the time :).