| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The flat we're buying hasn't been redecorated since it was built (1966), so we've got a lot of work to do (walls, ceilings, floors, doors, everything). Can anyone give me tips as far as what I should look for in paints, flooring, bathroom tile, etc? I think I found what might be the only eco-friendly vegan paint (earthBorn) in Scotland, but I'm open to other suggestions if they exist. Apart from that, I don't even know where to start. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I'm fairly certain I'll have to make compromises on materials and such, but I'd like to make as few as possible.

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:39 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

You totally messaged me about paint & I forgot to reply! We used Earthborn ProAqua Eggshell. We used Cupboard Love for the hallway & I can't remember the window colour but it was just a white.

We had to tear apart & paint / refloor / carpet most of our house when we moved in 4 years ago...we're still not done! Make a list of things that HAVE to be done & things that could wait a few years. We got our kitchen from Ikea & we ended up having to get a lot of furniture there too because our staircases & hallways are so narrow that we couldn't fit proper furniture into the house. We had to put our fridge out of a top floor window & lower it into the garden to get it into our basement kitchen!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I bought a very dilapidated 1850s house a few years ago, which I gutted and pretty much started again with (replacing like for like where possible).

I've used most items in the Ecos paints range - their matt wall paint is very (extremely) good, but other products tend to suck a bit. I wrote to most mainstream paint companies and didn't get positive responses.

I found quite a few bargins by shopping around a lot. Online is generally cheaper, but local independent suppliers can occasionally be good too. Some things are identical whomever you buy them off and prices vary by as much as 5x (e.g. the granite floor tiles I laid).

There are some products where I wasn't able to find any suppliers willing to say whether their products are vegan or not, so just had to make educated guesses.

Is there anything in particular your're after?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TBH, I'm not really sure. We don't even take ownership until 9 December, and it's hard to make decisions about decorating and such when you aren't even looking at the place. And I keep second guessing myself whenever I do make a decision, wondering if I should do what I want to do or think of what would make it easiest to resell (e.g., red/black/white kitchen/sitting room), even though we're not even thinking in terms of what we'll do in future (i.e., we're hoping we won't have to think about selling).

We'll probably get most stuff from IKEA/B&Q - more likely the latter because they do kitchens and bathrooms and have 0% financing for so many years depending on your spend, though we've pretty much already settled on most of the furniture from IKEA. I think I'm least worried about the kitchen and the furniture. We've also settled on a bathroom scheme (black/white/chrome). It's most of the rest of the decorating (especially flooring and window treatments) that I'm not sure about. But I have a feeling I'll have a while to think about that, since we'll probably have to put off everything but the painting while we save up for the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 am 

Only tip for painting then: get a proper colour chart (e.g. actual paint on paper, not a print out) and view it in the room at different times of day / under different light.

I made the mistake of not doing this initially, which meant that the first attempt of off-white looked a lot less warm on the walls than it did on paper! I ended up with what looks like quite a dark cream on color charts, but works a lot better on the walls themselves.

IKEA is great for reasonable quality at a sensible price. I rented a van and furnished my first flat in its entirety from IKEA, partly because most furniture stores think it's acceptable to make you wait 6-8 weeks for delivery! The only real regret I have is buying a bed from there - the mattress is fantastic, but it's not standard UK size, meaning that I'm now locked into buying IKEA bottom sheets.

I got most of my bathroom from B&Q. They did have a misprint on their website about the dimensions of a sink though, which once delivered was about twice as deep and unsuitable. My girlfriend had major fun and games with B&Q over a kitchen she had fitted in her last place. One thing to note: their large tiles are very well priced, but boarders (e.g. natural stone) horrendously expensive. I achieved the same effect of a slate boarder by buying larger sheets and cutting it down myself - cost about a tenth of the price and looks identical.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Well, we just got a quote from a contractor for nearly £25k before VAT to do all the stuff that needs doing, so we're gonna try to do as much DIY as possible. We're actually considering not putting in a heating system and just using space heaters. We officially move in in February, so we'll have some time to determine whether or not that's sustainable for the long haul. But the person who lived there before obviously had the same set-up, so we should be OK.

We might still go with B&Q to do the bathroom and kitchen since we can get financing for that, but everything apart from the rewiring is looking like it'll be done by us. *shudder*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

It's probably worth doing a list of things that need doing immediately and things that can wait. Not many people can get everything they want done straight away. Anything that'll cause a lot of mess needs doing first - you don't want to be rewiring (or putting in central heating) AFTER you've decorated and had new floors, for example, because it'll mess up the stuff you've done. Big stuff like boilers, wiring etc are probably priorities. Furnishings, floorings etc can come gradually as you get the money.

We're not good examples since we couldn't possibly be less interested in decorating and stuff, but we've been in this house 13 years and there are still rooms we haven't touched, because we've had other priorities. But although the wallpaper, curtains and carpets in those rooms aren't in any way what we'd have chosen and are distinctly grubby now, we don't really mind. We've done the bathroom, kitchen and main living room and the wiring and heating are sound. Other bits get done as we go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's kinda what I've been saying to Mike. Not only do things need to be done before we decorate, but there are some things that need to be done before we move in. It would be so much easier to get the bathroom done before we move in so that we actually have a bathroom to use when we start living there. And we want to knock down a wall, so that would be super messy (and also one less wall to paint with that expensive-ass paint). But he seems convinced we don't need central heating...

We at least figured out colour schemes last night - blue for our bedroom, green for the guest bedroom, and the same colour throughout for the doors, window ledges, and trim. And yeah, we have to buy new doors for every room because the current doors are ridiculous (they all have frosted windows in them!). But like you said, those are the things that will come last.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:45 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

All of the doors in this house have frosted windows too! New doors were quite far down the priority list so we still have thumbtacked fabric on the back of some doors & we put hooks for dressing gowns / clothes on the back of some other doors to block the windows. Way cheaper than new doors!

As EFCLiz said you need to prioritise messy stuff first. Wiring, boiler & any knocking down of walls. I would also say that you DO need central heating. It's so much cheaper to run than any kind of space heater & it will add more value to the property than it will cost to install.

In our house we knocked down walls, fixed the roof, damp proofed, painted the whole of the inside of he house white (it was all we could afford & it covered the hideous brown) sorted out the flooring in almost every room & did some surf in the bathroom (the previous owners had a raised bath which looked great but meant that Nick's head touched the ceiling when he showered) before we moved in.

Gradually over the last year or so we've replastered & painted the hall (there was a crumbling bit from where we knocked the wall down when we moved in!), painted the chimney breast in the lounge, fitted double glazing in two windows & some secondary glazing in one of them to keep the noise down at night, replaced the boiler, got a new washing machine (the old one came with the house & we used it 'till it broke) & sorted out the garden.

It seems like something else goes wrong or breaks as soon as we fix something. We got the secondary glazing fitted yesterday & the loo seat broke. I have no idea where to find a new grey loo seat so perhaps sorting out the bathroom'll be next on the list!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:
We're actually considering not putting in a heating system and just using space heaters.

This could be an expensive way of saving money. Electric heating is usually more expensive than a heating system that works on natural gas.

Just using space heaters will be uncomfortable because they heat up the place slowly. Then there are the space heaters with fans, and the noise of the fans will be irritating after a while.
I know this cause I got through last winter using electric space heaters cause I didn't want to invest money in getting my gas-heater fixed.

If you're already thinking about resale value, than consider what not having a heating system would do for the value of the place.

I don't know how the previous owner / tenant heated the place, but if they used gas heaters you could choose to do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 pm 

As has been suggested you need to treat this as a scaled project and as such have a written plan with the impact that certain jobs might have e.g new wiring might mean pulling up floors and digging into walls

Even if you're not planning on installing central heating immediately you might want to consider installing the pipe work for the radiators at an early stage of refurbishment. It would then be there and add to resale value

Does the flat have a fireplace you could open up and use?

From experience always thoroughly wash walls if you are taking off wallpaper and putting on paint, if you don't the remaining wallpaper paste will gradually lift and crack the paint (as I found out!)

Good luck with it all. It's hard work and can mean months of living in a building site :(

KrC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:51 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

jojo wrote:
It seems like something else goes wrong or breaks as soon as we fix something. We got the secondary glazing fitted yesterday & the loo seat broke. I have no idea where to find a new grey loo seat so perhaps sorting out the bathroom'll be next on the list!

You can still buy coloured toilet seats. Here, for instance:
http://www.replacementtoiletseats.co.uk ... -HERE.html

... or just google 'coloured toilet seats'.

Rachell, I'd echo what the others have said about central heating. A combi boiler is great for a flat (if you have only 1 bathroom). As well as providing heat, it's a much cheaper way of heating water than an electric immersion, and means you get full mains pressure for the shower too.

It's probably a good idea to live with stuff like the glazed doors for a while. You may find that they allow much needed daylight into the interior. Often you need to live in a place for a while before you really know what will work best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:58 am 

chools wrote:

I've a fireplace that's 'ready to use', but chimney isn't lined. Quotes start at £2000, which I won't recoup when I sell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:45 pm 

Chimneys never used to be lined, I can't see the need if you use solid fuel or well seasoned wood. It's important to get it swept once a year which costs £40 here. My sweep inspected a chimney for free before I reinstalled a fire, and it's been fine (unlined) for 10 years now.

KrC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Doesn't it affect your buildings insurance though, KrC? We had a fireplace in the last house that we couldn't use because our insurance didn't cover us for a fire caused by the chimney stack which was unlined?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:22 pm 

I have to confess I've never checked with my buildings insurance, but chimneys where here when we bought the house and I have them regularly swept. The main cause of chimney fires is a build up of soot or resin from poorly seasoned wood

KrC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:10 am 

Unfortunately our chimney stack most definitely has holes in the brickwork in the loft, where bits of mortar have come away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 am 

This is the wood burning stove in our kitchen: http://tinyurl.com/c6ojsda

We often leave the kitchen door open for the heat to spread to the rest of the house, and we can also cook on it, prove bread, warm plates etc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:25 am 

Am very jealous - if it were slightly cheaper or there was a chance we'd recoup the money when we sell then we'd totally have one by now. Will be a requirement for our next house :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:46 am 
Smuggling Raisins

This thread needs some before/after pics to excite my decorating glands. We bought eco paints to do our bathroom, and will be doing the same for the rest of the house as we work around it - a 15 year project I think! There's a lot of work to be done, and no money. Waaaaaaah.

Best tip I received (from my mil kitchen designer) was when doing tester pots, paint onto a sheet of a4 paper rather than straight onto the wall - means you can move it around to different parts of the room, and you don't cover your room in marginally different shades of purple.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:29 pm 

The before/after pics are a good idea, although I'm afraid I rarely if ever manage to take the 'befores!' The test paint is a great idea though, thanks. We tend to go for one bold colour wall, usually on the fire place/focal point walls with the rest white. The kitchen wall is supposed to be saffron in colour, but everyone just refers to it as orange :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chools/sets/72157624799380073/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:33 am 

I got loads of before and after pics.

The after pics are a little outdated (there's less IKEA furniture and more booze in the kitchen now!):

Lounge:

before

after

Kitchen:

before

after

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:15 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Mr Flibble wrote:
chools wrote:

I've a fireplace that's 'ready to use', but chimney isn't lined. Quotes start at £2000, which I won't recoup when I sell.

What's involved in doing the lining of the chimney?

Can't it be done with something simple like this http://www.diystart.com/index.php/chimn ... flue-liner ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:49 am 

Not in the UK, sadly - all work affecting chimneys now has to be done by accredited builders, who whack a 400% markup on the work they do.

You can use liner like that for stoves, but you also have to fit a metal plate at the bottom, cement the top in and backfill the void around it with insulating chips. In my case I'd also need to open out the fireplace more to fit a stove in, which involves putting in a new concrete lintel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Another request for advice if anyone is in the know - I'm sure I mentioned this in another thread, but it turns out that most of the work that's been done around our flat was really shoddy DIY. I'm not talking putting the cupboard doors on an IKEA kitchen on squint; I mean it looks like the cupboards (for example) were all built by someone from scratch - very badly.

So, one of the problems we have to contend with is that every square inch of the bathroom walls is covered in hideous brown tile with some kind of splash effect, and it turns out that they tiled over tile. Does anyone have any experience with removing tile? If so, how hard would it be to remove both sets of tile in order to re-tile part of the bathroom and paint the rest? Or would it depend on what the wall underneath is made of?

I'm almost beginning to feel like we're in The Money Pit.