| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1497
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
If you're planning to remove two layers of tiles which have been there for more than 20 years, you are certainly looking at the very least at having the walls skimmed when you do take them off. The easiest thing is to tile over the top of tiles as it's a flat, regular surface though I don't know if three layers of tiles will be practical. Be careful about pulling the tiles off until you've got enough money for repairs if all of the plaster underneath pulls off too (which it is likely to do).

If you're going to rewire, I'd strongly recommend you hold fire on pulling the tiles off the bathroom wall and put up with the hideous tiles until the electrics are done, then get a quote from the plasterer to work right through rather than doing it in sections.

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2510
Location: UK
The tiles in our bathroom were also hideous (pink and brown flowers on every third tile), but they had been up for thirty years and covered 3/4 of the walls. The expense and labour of removing them, replastering then retiling was more than I could afford, so I covered the flowery tiles with self-adhesive tile transfers (blue mosaic to go with the newly blue bathroom). They look fantastic, and only on close inspection can you tell they're not "real". I got them on ebay: there were hundreds to choose from.

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses
There are as many ways to live as there are humans in the world ~ SchwaGrrrl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:28 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: Edinburgh
Ruby Rose wrote:
If you're planning to remove two layers of tiles which have been there for more than 20 years, you are certainly looking at the very least at having the walls skimmed when you do take them off. The easiest thing is to tile over the top of tiles as it's a flat, regular surface though I don't know if three layers of tiles will be practical. Be careful about pulling the tiles off until you've got enough money for repairs if all of the plaster underneath pulls off too (which it is likely to do).

If you're going to rewire, I'd strongly recommend you hold fire on pulling the tiles off the bathroom wall and put up with the hideous tiles until the electrics are done, then get a quote from the plasterer to work right through rather than doing it in sections.

Yeah, that's a good point. We definitely don't want to tile over the tiles again. Everything I've read says tiling over tile isn't the best idea in the first place, so tiling over 2 layers is really not a good idea.

jogirl wrote:
The tiles in our bathroom were also hideous (pink and brown flowers on every third tile), but they had been up for thirty years and covered 3/4 of the walls. The expense and labour of removing them, replastering then retiling was more than I could afford, so I covered the flowery tiles with self-adhesive tile transfers (blue mosaic to go with the newly blue bathroom). They look fantastic, and only on close inspection can you tell they're not "real". I got them on ebay: there were hundreds to choose from.

I might look in to this. The thing is, with two sets of tiles, you can actually see (because of the oddly placed vent in the middle of the wall) that they're really thick. We actually lose space in the bathroom because of it! So if we're thinking of resale at all, we'd definitely have to get rid of both layers and redo the whole thing. Ugh. But maybe if this is cheap it can be a stop-gap.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2510
Location: UK
rachell37 wrote:
But maybe if this is cheap it can be a stop-gap.


They were about £6 a pack (of 30); I only needed two packs as I wasn't covering the blank tiles, just the hideous flowery ones.

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses
There are as many ways to live as there are humans in the world ~ SchwaGrrrl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 pm
Posts: 173
It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!). Tile over tile isn't usually too difficult to deal with, but if it's plasterboard underneath, the board will almost certainly have to come off too. As you will likely need a plasterer to repair the walls afterwards, it would probably be worth getting them to quote you for removing the tiles too.

If the toilet needs to be removed to get to the tiles behind the cistern, you also need to budget for the likelihood of replacing it, as toilets quite often break during this process.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:58 pm 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:34 am
Posts: 2446
Sluggie wrote:
It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!).


The wider the blade of the chisel is the better(I think)

You can also paint tile http://youtu.be/ISsW1dxRFpM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: Edinburgh
Veg_Eric wrote:
Sluggie wrote:
It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!).


The wider the blade of the chisel is the better(I think)

You can also paint tile http://youtu.be/ISsW1dxRFpM

It's in the bathroom, so we can't paint. I think we're just gonna end up doing a lot of DIY. We'll probably be spending a lot of weekends pulling shiitake off the walls (the rest of the walls have painted-over wallpaper, apart from the kitchen which has some kind of padded lino-type stuff).

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:40 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1497
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
If you've got to get off painted over paper, don't mess about - buy, rent or borrow one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PTL-1-Wal ... 523&sr=8-1
Seriously. In same the time it took us to strip one room without one of these, we stripped the whole of the rest of the house with one.

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:34 am
Posts: 2446
rachell37 wrote:
Veg_Eric wrote:
Sluggie wrote:
It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!).


The wider the blade of the chisel is the better(I think)

You can also paint tile http://youtu.be/ISsW1dxRFpM

It's in the bathroom, so we can't paint. I think we're just gonna end up doing a lot of DIY. We'll probably be spending a lot of weekends pulling shiitake off the walls (the rest of the walls have painted-over wallpaper, apart from the kitchen which has some kind of padded lino-type stuff).


I've also seen video's where they painted the tiles in the shower.

And Ruby Rose is right: those wallpaper strippers/steamers are the best to work with.

My advice is also to try to do things room by room. Otherwise you might end up getting disillusioned or depressed when everything is in some form or state of demolition.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2510
Location: UK
Another vote for buying/borrowing/hiring a steamer. Our hall had wallpaper that had been painted over several times, and even with the steamer it was hard work. I hate to think what it would have been like without it.

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses
There are as many ways to live as there are humans in the world ~ SchwaGrrrl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: Edinburgh
I have a friend who bought a house last year and offered to let me borrow her wallpaper stripper. Now that you've said that, I'll definitely take her up on the offer. RR - how long did it take you to do it after you got the stripper? (That's unintentionally rude-sounding.)

I think we're gonna mostly leave stuff alone for now, apart from maybe trying to see about taking off the first layer of tiles in the bathroom. Or maybe not. I'm not sure. We won't be able to decorate even the rooms that should be easy to do until we've had the rewiring done, and we're definitely getting a professional out to do that.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 am 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 pm
Posts: 173
I wouldn't bother trying to strip off only the first layer of tiles. Some of the underneath ones may come off too (and maybe some of the wall with them). Even if they don't, you'll probably be left with lumps of adhesive stuck all over the place. Best not to tackle the bathroom until you have the time/budget to do it all. Tile paint is ok as a short term measure, but it will eventually peel off around the shower area.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer