| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about home decorating
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

If you're planning to remove two layers of tiles which have been there for more than 20 years, you are certainly looking at the very least at having the walls skimmed when you do take them off. The easiest thing is to tile over the top of tiles as it's a flat, regular surface though I don't know if three layers of tiles will be practical. Be careful about pulling the tiles off until you've got enough money for repairs if all of the plaster underneath pulls off too (which it is likely to do).

If you're going to rewire, I'd strongly recommend you hold fire on pulling the tiles off the bathroom wall and put up with the hideous tiles until the electrics are done, then get a quote from the plasterer to work right through rather than doing it in sections.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The tiles in our bathroom were also hideous (pink and brown flowers on every third tile), but they had been up for thirty years and covered 3/4 of the walls. The expense and labour of removing them, replastering then retiling was more than I could afford, so I covered the flowery tiles with self-adhesive tile transfers (blue mosaic to go with the newly blue bathroom). They look fantastic, and only on close inspection can you tell they're not "real". I got them on ebay: there were hundreds to choose from.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ruby Rose wrote:
If you're planning to remove two layers of tiles which have been there for more than 20 years, you are certainly looking at the very least at having the walls skimmed when you do take them off. The easiest thing is to tile over the top of tiles as it's a flat, regular surface though I don't know if three layers of tiles will be practical. Be careful about pulling the tiles off until you've got enough money for repairs if all of the plaster underneath pulls off too (which it is likely to do).

If you're going to rewire, I'd strongly recommend you hold fire on pulling the tiles off the bathroom wall and put up with the hideous tiles until the electrics are done, then get a quote from the plasterer to work right through rather than doing it in sections.

Yeah, that's a good point. We definitely don't want to tile over the tiles again. Everything I've read says tiling over tile isn't the best idea in the first place, so tiling over 2 layers is really not a good idea.

jogirl wrote:
The tiles in our bathroom were also hideous (pink and brown flowers on every third tile), but they had been up for thirty years and covered 3/4 of the walls. The expense and labour of removing them, replastering then retiling was more than I could afford, so I covered the flowery tiles with self-adhesive tile transfers (blue mosaic to go with the newly blue bathroom). They look fantastic, and only on close inspection can you tell they're not "real". I got them on ebay: there were hundreds to choose from.

I might look in to this. The thing is, with two sets of tiles, you can actually see (because of the oddly placed vent in the middle of the wall) that they're really thick. We actually lose space in the bathroom because of it! So if we're thinking of resale at all, we'd definitely have to get rid of both layers and redo the whole thing. Ugh. But maybe if this is cheap it can be a stop-gap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
But maybe if this is cheap it can be a stop-gap.

They were about £6 a pack (of 30); I only needed two packs as I wasn't covering the blank tiles, just the hideous flowery ones.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!). Tile over tile isn't usually too difficult to deal with, but if it's plasterboard underneath, the board will almost certainly have to come off too. As you will likely need a plasterer to repair the walls afterwards, it would probably be worth getting them to quote you for removing the tiles too.

If the toilet needs to be removed to get to the tiles behind the cistern, you also need to budget for the likelihood of replacing it, as toilets quite often break during this process.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:58 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Sluggie wrote:
It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!).

The wider the blade of the chisel is the better(I think)

You can also paint tile http://youtu.be/ISsW1dxRFpM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Veg_Eric wrote:
Sluggie wrote:
It's fairly easy to get tiles off a solid wall with a hammer and chisel (wear eye goggles!).

It's in the bathroom, so we can't paint. I think we're just gonna end up doing a lot of DIY. We'll probably be spending a lot of weekends pulling shiitake off the walls (the rest of the walls have painted-over wallpaper, apart from the kitchen which has some kind of padded lino-type stuff).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If you've got to get off painted over paper, don't mess about - buy, rent or borrow one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PTL-1-Wal ... 523&sr=8-1
Seriously. In same the time it took us to strip one room without one of these, we stripped the whole of the rest of the house with one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:
Veg_Eric wrote:
Sluggie wrote:

It's in the bathroom, so we can't paint. I think we're just gonna end up doing a lot of DIY. We'll probably be spending a lot of weekends pulling shiitake off the walls (the rest of the walls have painted-over wallpaper, apart from the kitchen which has some kind of padded lino-type stuff).

I've also seen video's where they painted the tiles in the shower.

And Ruby Rose is right: those wallpaper strippers/steamers are the best to work with.

My advice is also to try to do things room by room. Otherwise you might end up getting disillusioned or depressed when everything is in some form or state of demolition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 pm 

Another vote for buying/borrowing/hiring a steamer. Our hall had wallpaper that had been painted over several times, and even with the steamer it was hard work. I hate to think what it would have been like without it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a friend who bought a house last year and offered to let me borrow her wallpaper stripper. Now that you've said that, I'll definitely take her up on the offer. RR - how long did it take you to do it after you got the stripper? (That's unintentionally rude-sounding.)

I think we're gonna mostly leave stuff alone for now, apart from maybe trying to see about taking off the first layer of tiles in the bathroom. Or maybe not. I'm not sure. We won't be able to decorate even the rooms that should be easy to do until we've had the rewiring done, and we're definitely getting a professional out to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I wouldn't bother trying to strip off only the first layer of tiles. Some of the underneath ones may come off too (and maybe some of the wall with them). Even if they don't, you'll probably be left with lumps of adhesive stuck all over the place. Best not to tackle the bathroom until you have the time/budget to do it all. Tile paint is ok as a short term measure, but it will eventually peel off around the shower area.