| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are you doing for Christmas dinner?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm going down to my mother's as per usual this Christmas. We are like "special diet" central, so the only thing non-vegetarian will be the big dead bird in the middle. My step-dad does not eat meat, my youngest brother (13) does not eat red meat and my mother basically doesn't eat (she has a severe oesophageal stricture that more or less prevents her from swallowing anything solid without preparation). Consequently, I grew up with vegetarian food being the norm and meat as an occasional thing, which I gather made becoming vegan a non-issue for me.

Nut roast is a given*, and I'm bringing a Christmas cake that I made (that is 80% brandy, 5% rum and 5% whiskey, with the remainder being flour and fruit and crepe like that). My mother is a caterer (ironically) and is used to producing epic food on an epic level. There are usually 7 to 10 of us... us four brothers, my mum, my step-dad and any erroneous girlfriends and boyfriends and my half-brother's dad sometimes and any miscellaneous others like friends from abroad who can't afford to get home and so on. I might even make some whiskey and coconut ice cream if I'm feeling enterprising. Oh, and I'm going to harvest my sprouts from the garden and bring them with me looking all smug.

What are you all doing?

* If anyone threatens to do something instead of nut roast, I'll bite their knees off.

Post subject: Re: What are you doing for Christmas dinner?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i'm going to my parents' house on christmas day, where i'll have more or less the exact same veggies as the rest of them (my parents and my sister, that is) but with whatever i decide to have in place of the dead bird. probably some kind of seitan; i'll make something a day or so prior i think.
boxing day, i'll be having christmas II at cidersmurfette's house (she's working all day christmas day) and we're pretty much decided we're gonna have pizza!

if i even so much as SEE a nut roast anywhere, someone's gonna be suffering. they're NASTY.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Through choice; we're having a quiet xmas at home alone this year. Xmas lunch will be a fairly standard roast, but with lots of options and of course - exceptionally good roast potatoes.

Only time we eat nut roast is as an alternative to stuffing, with lots of added herbs, peppers and mushrooms. It's not worthy of being the focus of a meal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:21 pm 

Christmas is always at home with just the OH (through choice), will probably go to a family gathering on Boxing day for a drink

Christmas day menu is a work in progress, adapted recipes from Terre a Terre cookbook last year but looking for inspiration for this Christmas, no nut roast here :) (yet!)

Have friends that buy an Indian takeaway every year to avoid the whole cooking scenario!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 pm 

Myself and himself are doing Christmas with my parents, who believe that the success of their Christmas is measured in how similar they can make it to every other Christmas. They can't contemplate the day without a dead bird. It just "wouldn't be Christmas". Bah and humbug. At least I've had a minor victory on the ham front, which won't be appearing on the menu this year.

I'll be eating copious amounts of trimmings, which have always been my favourite part of the whole Christmas food thing anyway. Roast veggies, sprouts, mashed potatoes, stuffing, mushy peas, cranberry sauce and bread sauce. Pure stodge, but I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:11 pm 

I'm at my mum and dad's for Christmas (they only live ten minutes away which is very handy and means I can leave if/when it all gets too much). My parents are vegetarian, so although there will be dead bird for all the siblings, all the sides will be okay and there will be nut roast for us (I'm with Gulliver on that).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:38 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm working night duty over Christmas so dinner will be like breakfast for me, in which case I probably won't be eating anything too heavy. I will be attempting to wake up earlier in the day than I usually do before a night shift so I can go to my Mums house and grab a bit of food, particularly as my Grampa has told me he's cooking something especially for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:08 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

We're on our own through choice every year. We do our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. I haven't fully planned it but the centrepiece will be probably be seitan en croute again, with roast potatoes, stuffing, bread sauce, yorkshire puds, gravy and a couple of veg. It'll all be home made. There'll be some sort of starter too, eaten a few hours before the main dinner.

Christmas day is probably going to be the Benedict from Horizons for breakfast. At lunch time there'll be a stroll to the pub then our favourite Indian restaurant where we'll have idli, dosa and various other delights. Then home, blob in front of a film and ther'll be a few snacky bits in should we get peckish.

Boxing Day Matthew will finish off leftovers while I trek to Sunderland for football.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:12 am 
Ninja Master

xherbivorex wrote:
if i even so much as SEE a nut roast anywhere, someone's gonna be suffering. they're NASTY.

Yes, they're forking VILE! I hate nut roast.

I have bought a Redwoods celebration roast, which will probably be gross, but I'm not all that bothered. My mum's roast potatoes are the best thing ever and I'd be happy with those, sage & onion stuffing, veg and gravy to be honest.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 am 

baps wrote:
xherbivorex wrote:

Yes, they're forking VILE! I hate nut roast.

I have bought a Redwoods celebration roast, which will probably be gross, but I'm not all that bothered. My mum's roast potatoes are the best thing ever and I'd be happy with those, sage & onion stuffing, veg and gravy to be honest.

The Boyfriends and I are having "our Christmas" tomorrow as he's going off to Hong Kong on Wednesday (where his grandparents live) and we're having one of those (and nut roast). I think we had it last year or the year before, and it was okay. Quite dense, which I think is why he liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 am 
Ninja Master

I'm not a massive fake meat lover really, I am just too lazy to make something else. Also, I knew the facon wrapped sausages would totally gross out my dad. hehe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:11 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I plan to skip all the lies about liking other food and just have a christmas spread of entirely roast potatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:22 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Halos wrote:
I plan to skip all the lies about liking other food and just have a christmas spread of entirely roast potatoes.

Now that is a brilliant plan!With lots of lovely gravy too...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 am 
Ninja Master

I love roast potatoes so much. They are the best bit of chrimbo dinner, hands down!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:32 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
I love roast potatoes so much. They are the best bit of chrimbo dinner, hands down!

+ 10000000

Nick & I are finally getting to spend our first Christmas together on our own at our house, I'm SO excited!

We're going totally ott & having a Tofurky, a Redwood turkey style roast AND a Vegusto cheese stuffed roast! We love mock meat and intend to be eating the leftovers on Boxing Day evening (at Nicks dads with his family) in a Mock-Turkey Tetrazzini & then in hundreds of sandwiches with cranberry sauce until the new year.

We're also doing the usual traditional sides, roast potatoes, broccoli, carotts, peas, stuffing balls & gravy.

Liz which Yorkshire Pudding recipe do you use, I want to try to make them but I haven't found a successful recipe yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:38 am 
Ninja Master

jojo wrote:
Liz which Yorkshire Pudding recipe do you use, I want to try to make them but I haven't found a successful recipe yet.

yes same here. I made one attempt years ago at vegan yorkies and they were a big fat FAIL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 am 

Oh yes please, I tried to make some recently and while we agreed that they tasted good, they were not yorkshire puddings by any stretch of the imagination.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:20 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Yeah Liz, share your secrets! YPs are on my 'to reinvestigate' list, following years of failures...

I'm really struggling with our Christmas day menu. Most of my stable 'centre pieces' I cooked thousands of for the wedding, and I'm keeping away from them for a while.

I also don't like roasts, including all the trimmings, so the main bit is what I REALLY look forward to. But nothing's inspiring!

I also need some sort of starter. Idea me up!

So far, we're having roast potatoes, brussels with chestnuts and bacon, pigs in blankets, roasted maple carrots and parsnips, some sort of stuffing concoction.

The only thing I was set on was doing a cherry chocolate trifle, until my MIL announced she'd done the chocolate pudding to bring. So lemon slices it is!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:50 am 

I'm making a butternut squash wellington, with all the usual trimmings on the side (stuffing, carrots, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, gravy etc).

Liz, I'd love to know a good YP recipe. They are definitely something I miss and I've tried to make them once or twice since being vegan, but they always turn out a little heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Redwoods turkey roast, a ton of sage and onion stuffing and loads of roast potatoes and parsnips, as well as all the veg. Cranberry sauce on the side. So much gravy you could swim in it. Christmas Eve will be sausage rolls and mince pies. Boxing Day will be everything in a sammich and loads of fake cheese. Cannot wait.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:53 am 
Ninja Master

I am excited for my boxing day sandwich, it was always mine and my bro's tradition. When I gave up meat he got upset that I couldn't eat THE sandwich anymore. But with the redwoods roast I can recreate it now and it doesn't just have to be roast potatoes, stuffing and mayo in a sandwich. Although that is AWESOME too.

And if anyone touches my sandwich I'll pull a Ross on them. You ate my sandwich. MY sandwich. MYYYYY SANDWICH!!!!

Actually I won't, I'll just junkpunch them instead.

I think I've had to omuch sugar today!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

baps wrote:
And if anyone touches my sandwich I'll pull a Ross on them. You ate my sandwich. MY sandwich. MYYYYY SANDWICH!!!!

Actually I won't, I'll just junkpunch them instead.

I think I've had to omuch sugar today!

I love you, baps.

jojo wrote:
a Vegusto cheese stuffed roast!

That sounds amazing! Did you order it from their website? I kinda wish I'd ordered one of their starter kits.

I'm doing porkless pie, some kind of potatoes (roast, scalloped, au gratin - I haven't decided), roasted broccoli, roasted garlic and [something I can't remember] stuffing (from a box), maybe some other veg and probably gravy for Xmas dinner. I might pick up a Redwood's roast and make that with some mac and peas and maybe some other kind of veg for Xmas Eve dinner. Xmas breakfast might be cinnamon rolls of some sort, or maybe I'll make a big Southern-style breakfast of biscuits and gravy, tofu scramble, hash browns (or latkes!), and sausages. Mmm. And Boxing Day will probably be full of leftovers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

My sister's cooking Christmas lunch. She mentioned something about mushrooms en croute plus all the usual trimmings. I'm going to make some florentines, and a stollen.

I haven't tried making yorkshire puddings, but I read that the secret to making them rise is to add baking powder and a spoonful of vinegar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:20 pm 

The first batch I made rose so much they could best be described as a foam...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 pm 
Hip Goiter

baps wrote:

Seriously, quoting Friends in everyday conversation? We are definitely going to get along.

Eager for a yorkshire pudding recipe!

Laughfrodisiac