| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Manchester - places to eat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

There is Ethiopian food in the city centre! I got an email from Habesha Restaurant confirming that all of their vegetarian food is also vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

*gasp* I'm kinda wishing I booked my holiday to Manchester instead of Dublin now. I want some Ethiopian food.

ETA - I'm now seriously considering going to the vegan festival. I'll ask Mike what he thinks - we might be able to get there for doors open, get a bunch of stuff, then have lunch at the Ethiopian place (if they do lunch) and head home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My husband and I are going to Manchester for a weekend soon, I have seen all the nice food options...but he's moaning it'll all cost too much. He's a vegetarian who is quite happy living off a £1 pasty...so my question is, where can I take him that is...well, cheapish?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:54 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

rachell37 wrote:
ETA - I'm now seriously considering going to the vegan festival. I'll ask Mike what he thinks - we might be able to get there for doors open, get a bunch of stuff, then have lunch at the Ethiopian place (if they do lunch) and head home.

I booked a return train ticket from Edinburgh this week and it was still really pretty cheap (£20 for the return on East Coast). I'm going to stay for the after party though and crash out at a friend's place or hostel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tickets booked for the veg fest! We'll be there bang on 11 and will head by 1 (probably earlier, tbh). We're gonna get lunch at Habesha probably around 1 or 2 if anyone wants to join us!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've been trying to go to that Ethiopian place for years and something has always happened to prevent me. There also just seems to be one plate option but that's still the closest Ethiopian food to my house that isn't in my house. Let me know how it is anyone who gets there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:32 am 

rachell37 wrote:
Tickets booked for the veg fest! We'll be there bang on 11 and will head by 1 (probably earlier, tbh). We're gonna get lunch at Habesha probably around 1 or 2 if anyone wants to join us!

Awesome! My overall plans aren't finalised yet but I arrive in Manchester on Saturday at 10:15 and will leave on Sunday about 6pm. I was thinking of going for (lateish) breakfast at V Revolution on Sunday if anyone wants to join me?

Habesha is quite a long way from the veg fest venue (which is in Chorlton). I was thinking of maybe having lunch at the World Peace Cafe or Bistro 1847, which are both vegetarian cafe type places.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Imogen wrote:
I was thinking of maybe having lunch at the World Peace Cafe or Bistro 1847, which are both vegetarian cafe type places.

Sadly the Chorlton branch of 1847 closed down a few weeks back but was a bit upscale, not a cafe type place Imogen.

Oddest, part of the Odd Bar chain of 3, do a vegan breakfast til after lunch (http://oddbar.co.uk).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 am 

rentaghost wrote:
Sadly the Chorlton branch of 1847 closed down a few weeks back but was a bit upscale, not a cafe type place Imogen.

Oddest, part of the Odd Bar chain of 3, do a vegan breakfast til after lunch (http://oddbar.co.uk).

Oh well, World Peace Cafe it is then :)

Oddest sounds like it might be a good Saturday breakfast plan then, as I get in at 10:15 in the morning. Thanks for the tips :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I just got back from a great weekend in Manchester. We ate breakfast at Teatime Collective yesterday, followed by ice-cream there (the choc-orange flavour was amazing!), had two lots of Go Falafel wraps (the surprise hit filling was pickled turnip), dinner at Bistro 1847 (small portions but very interesting flavours, and nice presentation, particularly the churros, although they weren't what I think of as churros), breakfast today at V Revolution, although they didn't have a breakfast on the menu as such so we had maple pecan cake, burgers, a hot-dog to share and took away a Veggo bar (yum!).

Also went to Unicorn grocery and sat outside with coffees from the cart outside after buying a few things and wishing I wasn't limited to what I could carry home on the train. They had special non-curdle soya milk so I tried some of that even though I don't usually take milk in drinks. It was nice.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:59 am 
Tofu Pup

There's a new veggie Chinese restaurant in Withington called Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen: http://www.lotusvegetariankitchen.com/

I went last week and it was ace! Just to pre-warn anyone who doesn't like faux meats, there are a lot on the menu (I've heard a wee bit of criticism about it). There is a section for vegetable/tofu dishes though and some amazing looking dumpling/won ton soups. For mock meat lovers like myself it was heaven! I had prawn toasts, bbq ribs, satay skewers and spring rolls to start. Followed by fish fillets in a chilli tomato sauce. I even had deep fried soya milk for dessert (sounds weird - tastes delicious!). There was so much choice, most of the menu is labelled vegan and the staff are really lovely. Prices are a little higher than your average Chinese takeaway (around £7.50 for a main dish), but then again the ingredients were fresher and different to what I usually end up with.

Really hoping this place does well, even better than Yeopan's in Chorlton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The Brewdog pub on Oxford Street has a vegan burger (called The Vegan Burger on the menu) which is hella good. The seitan they use is deee-licious.