| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: London street food
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'll be visiting London for a week in November, and I was wondering if there are any vegan street foods available. Any specific vendors in the markets to check out? I'm not looking for anything specific, just wondering if you guys know a cool place to grab something like that.

Post subject: Re: London street food
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:17 am 
Nailed to the V

There are a lot of markets with vegan friendly food stalls (the concept of a food truck has yet to catch on much, but there is one – Rupert's Street). Try Leather Lane on during their weekday market. Warung tempeh has a lot of vegan options and Killer Tomato generally has a vegan option as well. Borough market also has a few good options like Koshari Street, Gujarati Rasoi, Ethiopian Flavours (I haven't eaten here, so ask if they use butter or oil in veg stuff), and Veggie Table. Not everyone is there on the same days. Sunday Upmarket has some great Ethiopian food and Essential Vegan are nearby at The Boiler House on Saturdays for now. Camden Lock market also has good Ethiopian food.

Days and times vary for all stallholders at markets though, so check websites the week you plan to go to avoid any disappointment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Brick Lane has some good stuff on market days

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The vegan bokit at Oval Farmer's Market is pretty much my favourite food on the planet, street food or not http://www.bokitla.com

It's a fried bread and they fill it with aubergine and avocado and the most amazing sauce I've ever tasted.

Oval farmer's market is opposite Oval tube on Sat 10-3. Prob not one you'd make a trip to if you're only here for a few days as nothing of interest nearby - though not too far from the vegan mecca of Brixton. Plenty of street food there on a Saturday and you might be here for one of the Brixton Vegan Meetup walkabouts - have a look on the London Vegan Meetup page. There is sometimes one in Brick Lane too. The meet up info gives details of the vegan street food available at both places.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Not sure if it's really street food but I love Ruby Tuesdays in Greenwich market especially the orange bundt cake and the doughnuts (baked, my fave. I know!) and last time I was there with RandiJM there was this great vegan (or maybe veggie but 99% vegan) stall with salads and wraps and they were SO DELICIOUS. I can't remember the name but maybe RandiJM can!