| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If I want to be a lodger...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

...how do I go about finding information or potential landlords? If I search for 'lodger' or 'be a lodger' all I get is articles advising people on how to take in lodgers. I don't know what to search to find anything written for the other perspective.

Although looking through Gumtree ads (which I can't work out how to sort properly) I did see one ad entitled 'Miss the family dog?' which turned out to be a room to rent from a lady with two greyhounds. And another one with a photo of a cat curled up on a bed. I WANT A CAT SO MUCH. And would love access to a dog.
But, really, looking through Gumtree ads is annoying. Particularly since I won't need anywhere til July or August so nothing is listed yet; I'm just trying to find out what normal prices, expectations etc are.

I wondered if there were agencies who help with this sort of stuff? Probably not, as that would be extra expense for people. A friend recommended I ask people I know, but I don't have a big network of grown-up, house-owning friends.

If you happen to know any very quiet people who need a flatmate around July or August, that would be awesome too.

Post subject: Re: If I want to be a lodger...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What area are you looking in?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm 

Edinburgh. I don't have a specific area in mind at the moment (have lived in Marchmont, Newington and Blackford but anywhere that I could reasonably commute to the rest of town would be fine).
I'm not expecting people to magically have a place for me to live, but advice about how to look for one would be appreciated.

The reason I'm looking into lodging is that I've been sharing as part of a group for a couple of years and am finding myself getting pissed off with the people I live with. At first the idea of sharing a flat with strangers sounded good, so at least I won't ruin friendships/ sometimes it is easier to not be annoyed by people you know less well, but then I realised I will never find people less annoying than my current flatmates. They don't play loud music, only have rowdy parties one or two times a year, and almost never come home drunk and silly. We even cook for each other sometimes! But I've been getting so angry at people talking in the hall when I'm trying to sleep and silly things like that. A lot of it is problems with my own attitude that I need to deal with, but I also think it is important to find a home-situation that I'm as comfortable with as possible.
I hope if I was lodging with someone it would be an older person/family and they would be calmer. Also I will need to share with non-students so they can share council tax with me (or a small group of students in a cheap flat).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Have you tried the likes of spareroom.com? I've heard that Gumtree gets agencies advertising in some areas (pretending not to be)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:24 pm 

chools wrote:
Have you tried the likes of spareroom.com? I've heard that Gumtree gets agencies advertising in some areas (pretending not to be)

Thanks, that looks very helpful. I will look at it further.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:54 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

also, CRAIGS LIST.
Thats what Ive used in the states to find places, and they have an edinburgh one.

Also, there is a "housing wanted" section where you post your own ad with what you are looking for. im not sure how it is in edinburgh, but in the states, people were desperate for roommates sometimes and so would keep watching that section and call you if they had a situation to suit you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Gumtree is usually pretty good!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:54 pm 
Chard Martyr

I used sparerooms to find my current flat/living arrangement. I did pay the small amount extra to get early access/ability to contact people right as they post the places (instead of having to wait a few days) because I came here without a housing plan and needed to get a place sorted asap. It's pretty good, as I was able to put the ability to contact early on hold once I got a place and am able to reactivate it for the remainder of my 90 days or whatever within a year, so if I were to move again within a year, I can still use that part of the service. Good luck!