| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South West Food Not Bombs - Interested?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hi everyone! This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while, and decided now that I’ve got plenty of time on my hands, I thought I’d get the project in motion.

I’m sure many of you have heard of Food Not Bombs before, so I’d be really delighted if any of you who share the beliefs, and have a little time going spare, would be able to volunteer ( or support in the smallest way) a new faction of FNB in the South West.

When I was at university I joined an FNB group in London, but was always a little bit nervous to turn up, so sadly I never got around to it before I had to leave. But I wanted to start one up in and around Bath, because I think the ethics behind it are really fundamental and information about food waste and improving the lives of others and helping the environment are concerns we really can’t afford to ignore. Also it’s a good opportunity to show other’s who don’t think much of a vegan/vegetarian diet how easy it is – and of course, tasty!

I’m sure those issues are pretty well known in the vegan community, so I need your help to make this project go well. I guess I’ve been spurred on to getting this going after seeing the amount of homeless people on the streets in Bath over the Christmas season. And while it’s still quite cold out there and there’s often not a lot of help for those on the streets (there is Julian House in Bath, but I think they’re resources are often quite stretched), I thought this would be a good time to draw up ideas.

I’ll also mention that April 1st 2012 is becoming the day for internationally sharing food with others, as a sign of solidarity, after numerous groups have been warned from sharing food on the streets, especially in America. This would be a really great way to show support for all the FNB groups and people in general donating their time and food to others.

So if you agree with the statement that food is a right, not a privilege, spare some of your ideas and let me know how you think we can get this going. I will admit I’m no expert and have very little expertise on this, but I’ve got lots of time and lots of admiration for the people who can perform unadulterated acts of kindness so I’m more than happy to start this.

Also, I know there is a faction of FNB in Bristol but I contacted the woman who ran it and unfortunately never received a reply, so I have no idea if they’re still going. But if you know, please tell me, it would be great to get this to be an entire South West thing rather than just a Bath thing.

http://www.foodnotbombs.net/food_is_a_right.html