| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan + York(shire)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Chickpea wrote:
Are you driving? If you are you can go to Scarborough via Pickering OR stop at Goathland on the way to Whitby to catch the NYM railway. I have taken my nephews on the Santa special at Xmas. It was snowy & very picturesque. If you like steam trains & beautiful scenery then it is great otherwise if you are driving from Scarborough to Whitby the scenery is pretty spectacular anyway.

There is a Fish & Chip shop in Whiby that fries in vegetable oil. They also do veggie sausage etc but I'm not sure if that is vegan. I think it is called Robertsons (They have a take away & restaurant) If you go over the swing bride in the centre of Whitby, as if you are walking towards the Abbey you will see Holland & Barrett on your left. Then there is a little street & then a few more shops & the chippy. It advertises outside that it fries in veggie oil. I think this is the place.

http://www.robertsons-of-whitby.co.uk/l ... d.php?id=0

Robin Hoods Bay is a lovely place to go to on the way to Whitby. It used to have a veggie vegan cafe but it has closed down. However some of the pubs do have vegan options or are happy to adapt. They seem quite vegan friend there on the whole which is quite unusual for North Yorkshire. (Lots of places still have fish listed at Vegetarian!)

I've never been to CALF in Scarborough but the reviews look great so I'm definitely gonna get myself over there soon.
Unfortunately the Nutmeg cafe got taken over & then started serving meat & shut down. However there is another cafe called Cafe Venus on Ramshill Road which is veggie vegan. Again I've not been there but it looks good.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html

I like Gojis in York for a take out brunch/lunch. El piano does a cheap food menu on certain things until 7pm. Portions aren't massive but it is tasty & a lovely atmosphere.

You don't happen to know the name of any of the pubs in Robin Hood's Bay that were vegan friendly do you? I'm going to be there on Sunday evening and need somewhere to eat. Any lunch recommendations would also be splendid. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oooh sorry I've been away. Hope I'm not too late to help although I'm not much help as I can't remember the name.
It's not the pub that is on the left hand side as you get to the beach. When you get to the bottom of Robin hoods Bay you need to turn back up towards the town but its not on the main street, It's a road that runs to the right of the main street (if you have the sea behind you.) There were a few things that were vegan but I asked if the veggie burger was & they said it could be veganised. They seemed to get veganism, which can be quite rare round here. It was a while ago that I was there though.
The chip shop definitely fried in lard. Hope you have a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've just spent a few days in and around Scarborough, and Cafe Venus is now closed down. But that wasn't a problem because CALF is indeed fantastic for food (mind the coffee, though) and Cafe Nomad just up the road does good coffee as well as vegan cakes and scones.

Also, Robertson's fish & chip shop in Whitby (mentioned up thread) sell pea fritters which are vegan-friendly and amazing. I regret getting only one to share between two of us.