| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Londoners, law student semestering-abroad in need of advice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:39 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hello folks. I know nothing about London's geography, to warn you.

I'll be spending my spring semester in London, at an institution near the Chancery Lane metro stop, and have been a lazy asparagus about finding a place to live. The months are ticking by, and I need to figure this out! Anyone have recommendations? I'd like to live somewhere biking distance, but I have no idea how bike friendly this area is. I'd also like to live somewhere near to where I'd likely want to imbibe and see music and art and all that lovely cultural whatnot, otherwise I'll likely end up a hermit. I'd like to pay close to what I pay here in DC, which is under 900 gbp/month.

If anyone knows of a) a great yoga studio with student pricing, b) a yoga studio in need of a volunteer in exchange for classes, c) gyms with student pricing, and d) any restaurant or cafe looking for a part time pastry chef, let me know!

And if you'd like to meet up January-May, I'd just be so grateful to have company!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Londoners, law student semestering-abroad in need of adv
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hello! Welcome to London in advance! I'll try and answer some of your questions :)

- The transport links in London are really good (buses, tube and the tram in South London), especially if you want to cycle around! If you're used to city riding I don't think London's particularly scary. Loads of people cycle now and it feels like cycle lanes and superhighways are cropping up everywhere. Just make sure you have a good lock!
- You have a really good budget so I'm sure you won't struggle to find somewhere to live. It's pretty difficult to find somewhere for less than £400 a month to rent, and that would definitely be in a house share, probably in a not so great area. You could look at some student specific accommodation blocks - they're expensive but the price is normally all-inclusive of bills etc. and you can stay their short-term (ie. you wouldn't have to commit to rent for 12months). There are some places around the Chancery Lane/Holborn area where you're studying but they are realllly expensive, £339 a week! https://www.unite-students.com/london/kirby-street
- If you're not into that idea, http://www.spareroom.co.uk and Gumtree are good for finding houses/flats with spare rooms going. I am biased towards South London but you could look around the Southwark/Waterloo/Elephant and Castle area which would be a really easy commute by bike, bus or tube to where you're studying. Brixton and Camberwell are a bit further south but pretty 'cool' areas that will most likely be cheaper. If you want to live alone it will probably be easier to find somewhere in your budget in those areas. You could also see if your institution has an accommodation office that could help you find somewhere? Coincidentally, Ms Cupcake, a vegan bakery in Brixton (http://www.mscupcake.co.uk/category/vacancies/) is also looking for cake decorators so maybe you could contact them!
- Re: yoga, google definitely knows more than me. If you want to join a cycling club/ride at the outdoor velodrome in Herne Hill though hit me up though!

Hope that helps