| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UK UK!!! v2.0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a feeling that I read somewhere once that Sheese doesn't need to be chilled till it's opened, but I could be making that up...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:44 pm 
Mediocre Tart

hana wrote:
I have a feeling that I read somewhere once that Sheese doesn't need to be chilled till it's opened, but I could be making that up...

I thought I'd read that somewhere too, but I just checked the sheese in my fridge and it does say 'keep refridgerated' on the package. Mind you, I'm sure it'd be ok for a wee while out of the fridge so long as it's unopened not being kept in warm conditions.

As an aside- has anyone else discovered that cheezly makes pretty much the worst mould ever?!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

poopiebitch wrote:
Whoa - thanks you guys! I'm excited to see what I can find! We're only here for another week, so I'm a little scared of ordering anything because what if it doesn't come in time?

Do Cheezly and Sheese have to stay refrigerated?

Are you in Uttoxeter? You should totally come to Newcastle under Lyme. We have a H+B and an independent health shop that both sell both. The health shop has their new deliveries on Wednesdays. I could always pop in and get you some stuff if you are worried they might not have any on the day you visit. If you like South Indian food I can recommend a great place to get lunch and I could meet you there!!

But, there's not much else here so if you prefer to go somewhere else I would understand.

Sheese doesn't have to be kept refrigerated until open. The lady from the health shop said its only ever kept in the fridge so that it seems more like cheese. I have sent both it and Cheezly all over the world and it hasn't spoiled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:54 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

jojo wrote:
cosmiclettuce definitely check out thetrainline.com for cheap advance tickets to Brighton. We do indeed have a Shakeaway, it's on Bond Street in the North Laine area. The next street along from Bond Street is Gardner Street which has the Infinity Cafe & Red Veg and then on the corner is Infinity Foods. The next street along is Kensington Gardens which has Wai Kika Moo Kau & Iydea.

My blog's in my sig & has of reviews of the places I mentioned & more.

Your blog's really useful, thanks! And thanks everyone for the suggestions (:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

hana wrote:
Tesco sea salt and cracked black pepper hummus is also yummy.

Never seen that.
Sounds good

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Efcliz wrote:
I've never taken any supplements but my dry skin is driving me mad, so I thought I might get one. I looked the Veg 1, just because it's easy, but the first 2 ingredients are sugar, which I don't really want. Can anyone recommend a good multi which is specially designed to cover most of the likely things I miss out on, like the Veg 1 does?

Can't recommend a supplement.
The only thing I 100% recommend for when I have dry skin is coconut oil
Rub it in, leave for 5 mins and wash off. Only thing that's worked for me
Good luck, dry skin is a mustard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

cosmiclettuce wrote:
hey uk people! need advice from people who travel london-brighton frequently: say i want to take a few friends for a day trip in brighton... where do i get cheap train/bus tickets? and what touristy things do you recomend (as well as vegan-y things!) we check out? thanks!

Book in advance and use southern railways. I've got return tickets for £6 when I book 2 singles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

hummus has to be cooling and not a weird flavour dammit. I'm a hummus purist. I only eat roasted veg ones or that asda sundried tomato one. or plain, obviously. also i hate the lemon and coriander. grr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sad news - I don't think the Co-op custard donuts are vegan anymore. This site has links for Asda, Co-op, Tesco, and Sainsbury's vegan items (the Asda one is seriously outdated and wrong on a lot of things). The Co-op list has the jam donuts, but not the custard ones. I was in Scotmid today, but it was late and they were out of donuts, so I couldn't verify by checking the label. Also, the only list that has bourbons is Asda, and it's probably wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:52 am 
And you never will.

Efcliz wrote:
Are you in Uttoxeter? You should totally come to Newcastle under Lyme. We have a H+B and an independent health shop that both sell both. The health shop has their new deliveries on Wednesdays. I could always pop in and get you some stuff if you are worried they might not have any on the day you visit. If you like South Indian food I can recommend a great place to get lunch and I could meet you there!!

But, there's not much else here so if you prefer to go somewhere else I would understand.

Sheese doesn't have to be kept refrigerated until open. The lady from the health shop said its only ever kept in the fridge so that it seems more like cheese. I have sent both it and Cheezly all over the world and it hasn't spoiled.

We're in Abbots Bromley, and I would freakin' LOVE to come meet up and have lunch with you! Can you do Thursday? It looks like that might be the only day we could come. I am totally jonesin' on some Indian food, too. And thank you for the info on the Cheezly and Sheese - I'm definitely going to take some back with me!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

poopiebitch wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

We're in Abbots Bromley, and I would freakin' LOVE to come meet up and have lunch with you! Can you do Thursday? It looks like that might be the only day we could come. I am totally jonesin' on some Indian food, too. And thank you for the info on the Cheezly and Sheese - I'm definitely going to take some back with me!

I can do Thursday!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:25 am 
And you never will.

Efcliz wrote:
I can do Thursday!!!!

Yay! I'm excited! Okay - where and what time?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Kara costs a pound in Waitrose at the moment. Not that I actually bought any.

We're having an early xmas thing at my house in a couple of weeks and I'm utterly clueless what sorts of foods I could go for. Any ideas? I pretty much know about Lebkuchen and Spekulatius and what Transylvanians eat on the 24th. One of my house mates said we could get fake meat, but I'm not sure I'd even want that, let alone be ok with inflicting it on everyone else. I'm not really down with plain vegetables or excessive amounts of dried fruit, but the intention here is to be traditional in a sort of silly way. Mulled wine is the easy part. I also have vegetarian jelly crystals for trifle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 pm 
Hip Goiter

HI GUYS!

I bought my ticket to London today! Dec 29 (arrives) to Jan 5. Whoopee! We were thinking of going to Edinburgh for NY eve (as I posted in separate thread) but we're very very open to options elsewhere in the UK so please bombard me with your opinions. (Or, of course, if you want to invite me to a crazy party...)

Also, my boyfriend will probably be working really late some nights, so I will need people to go to great restaurants with. I will make a separate thread closer to that time.

I heart you.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:57 am 
Smuggling Raisins

We could totally have done a house swap, I just came back from philly and I loved it.

Catching up on this thread has made me pleased to be home though!
Go check out ms cupcake if you're in london, and inspiral. And come to Brighton! Wrong direction for Edinburgh though. How are you getting there - train? Have you looked at the prices? Cheaper if you get it in advance .

Cheezly does make the worst kind of mould, and so quickly, too!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:38 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I just got inappropriately excited when I found out Waitrose will deliver to me.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:43 am 
Saggy Butt

so expensive for poor student phoebe. I'm glad that Ocado can't do my area yet...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:21 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Only just seen melisser is coming to brighton. Exciting! Also, where did you guys go for the meet up in the end last month?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:38 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Rachwins wrote:
Only just seen melisser is coming to brighton. Exciting! Also, where did you guys go for the meet up in the end last month?

We ended up at Wagamamas because there were too many of us for Iydea! Melisser's book signing's the 2nd at Red Veg, you coming?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 am 
Smuggling Raisins

What time?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Rachwins wrote:
What time?

Not sure yet, probably 6.30 / 7ish but Red Veg are being a bit uselss! I'm going to go & talk to them tomorrow so I'll keep this thread updated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

interrobang?! wrote:
I just got inappropriately excited when I found out Waitrose will deliver to me.

"Ooooh, look at me I'm interrobang?! and Waitrose is for posh stupid west end people and I hate it!"

Haha, how the tide has TURNED!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
HI GUYS!

I bought my ticket to London today! Dec 29 (arrives) to Jan 5. Whoopee! We were thinking of going to Edinburgh for NY eve (as I posted in separate thread) but we're very very open to options elsewhere in the UK so please bombard me with your opinions. (Or, of course, if you want to invite me to a crazy party...)

Also, my boyfriend will probably be working really late some nights, so I will need people to go to great restaurants with. I will make a separate thread closer to that time.

I heart you.

1) This calls for a Scotland meetup!
2) I will be in Germany the entire time you are here.
3) What a bunch of douchiness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:41 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Chipmunk wrote:
Kara costs a pound in Waitrose at the moment. Not that I actually bought any.

We're having an early xmas thing at my house in a couple of weeks and I'm utterly clueless what sorts of foods I could go for. Any ideas? I pretty much know about Lebkuchen and Spekulatius and what Transylvanians eat on the 24th. One of my house mates said we could get fake meat, but I'm not sure I'd even want that, let alone be ok with inflicting it on everyone else. I'm not really down with plain vegetables or excessive amounts of dried fruit, but the intention here is to be traditional in a sort of silly way. Mulled wine is the easy part. I also have vegetarian jelly crystals for trifle.

Have you looked at Peter Berley's books? I know he's not popular around here because of rude things he's said about vegetarians, but his recipes are very seasonal but also creative without being weird.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:

The chicken-style roast mix (if you can't be bothered going ALL forking OUT on a fancy chestnut pie or nut roast) from Holland and Barratt is legitimately tasty and fantastic covered in gravy and cranberry sauce. I've had it for a couple of Xmases at least. With roast potatoes, veg, sweet potater mash, stuffing (I use Sage, and I'm not ashamed to admit it), and the rest of the Xmas table regulars. It's all good.

PS. I know it sounds ghetto but heated up mince pies from a box (Waitrose star mince pies and Iceland brand ones were both vegan last year) with swedish glace? Yeah, YOU'RE WELCOME.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next