| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eating in Oxford/ Cotswolds ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We're heading to the Cotswolds/ Oxford area in a few weeks and as I've never been there before, I don't know where's good to eat around that area. Has anyone any ideas for somewhere good around the Cotswolds or Oxford? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Eating in Oxford/ Cotswolds ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

I live just outside Oxford, and it's actually slightly more slim pickings than you might expect from a supposed intellectual hub of... stuff.

The only fully vegetarian place is the Gardener's Arms (all vegan stuff labelled and that), but it's pretty standard food-wise... burgers, hot dogs, pies and such... and I find it a little overpriced for what it is. There is actually another veggie cafe, but it's small and out of the way and a bit hippy health foody.

If you're into Chinese food, I'd totally recommend Sojo. Went there for the first time recently and it was amazing. Really quite authentic, rather than standard take out fare. They have a vegetarian menu. Stuff with egg in was marked and they didn't have dairy in anything I asked about (it's unusual in Chinese food, anyways). For more junky Chinese, but still good, with lots of mock meats and such, go to the Pink Giraffe. Vegan stuff is labelled and there's tons of it.

Al Shami has amazing Lebanese food, particularly meze bits, and all vegan stuff is marked.

Red Star Noodle Bar on Cowley Road is good for giant bowls of ramen and such, but you'll have to ask about ingredients.

Outside of Oxford itself, if you're into proper Cotswold territory, I think you might be a little stuck. Normally just pubs out in the sticks, with notoriously dairy-laden veggie options. If you're around Witney way, they have a good new Nepalese restaurant and plenty of Indian food. Plus a few pubs (Three Horseshoes, Hollybush, Plough) that have tapas menus with hummus and pita and the like.

Post subject: Re: Eating in Oxford/ Cotswolds ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I live just outside Oxford, and it's actually slightly more slim pickings than you might expect from a supposed intellectual hub of... stuff.

The only fully vegetarian place is the Gardener's Arms (all vegan stuff labelled and that), but it's pretty standard food-wise... burgers, hot dogs, pies and such... and I find it a little overpriced for what it is. There is actually another veggie cafe, but it's small and out of the way and a bit hippy health foody.

If you're into Chinese food, I'd totally recommend Sojo. Went there for the first time recently and it was amazing. Really quite authentic, rather than standard take out fare. They have a vegetarian menu. Stuff with egg in was marked and they didn't have dairy in anything I asked about (it's unusual in Chinese food, anyways). For more junky Chinese, but still good, with lots of mock meats and such, go to the Pink Giraffe. Vegan stuff is labelled and there's tons of it.

Al Shami has amazing Lebanese food, particularly meze bits, and all vegan stuff is marked.

Red Star Noodle Bar on Cowley Road is good for giant bowls of ramen and such, but you'll have to ask about ingredients.

Outside of Oxford itself, if you're into proper Cotswold territory, I think you might be a little stuck. Normally just pubs out in the sticks, with notoriously dairy-laden veggie options. If you're around Witney way, they have a good new Nepalese restaurant and plenty of Indian food. Plus a few pubs (Three Horseshoes, Hollybush, Plough) that have tapas menus with hummus and pita and the like.

I just had a look at the Al Shami menu online and that sounds so good, so I think that that would be a definite possibility. Thanks!