| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hang out with me in Birmingham, York, and/or London next mon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:37 pm 
And you never will.

Okay, we've set our itinerary!

I don't know if anyone on here lives in Birmingham, but we're going to be there briefly on Monday, 15th December in the late afternoon/early evening. We'll probably only have time for dinner and maybe hit the Christmas market if we have time before catching our train, so if anyone wants to meet up for a meal then let me know! And if anyone has suggestions for a kid-friendly place to eat there I'd appreciate it!

We'll be in York on Thursday, 18th December and will be free to get dinner that evening if anyone is in that area and wants to meet up. Again, suggestions for kid-friendly places to eat are welcome.

We will be in London from early afternoon on Friday, 19th December through the morning of Tuesday, 23rd December. We'll probably do something with my sister-in-law's family for a couple of hours in the afternoon on Saturday the 20th, but otherwise we are pretty flexible with what we do and when, so let me know if you want to hang!

If you're interested in doing something other than having a meal with us, some of the things we might do while in London include: going to the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum, the British Museum, and/or the RAF Museum, walk around Camden Market, see the lights on Regent Street (and let poopieboy loose in Hamley's), see the Four O'Clock Parade at Horse Guards, go on the London Eye and maybe go into Kew Gardens if the weather is nice (those last two are not free). And, as always, suggestions for kid-friendly places to eat would be great!

Otherwise we will be at my in-law's in their tiny village (near-ish Stafford) and may end up hiring a car to do day-trips after Christmas, but we're leaving that open to decide later.

Post subject: Re: Hang out with me in Birmingham, York, and/or London next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:49 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

As of right now any of those London dates except the 23rd work for me. Camden Market is always fun especially as it's where Cookies and Scream are located! I also LOVE christmas lights! As for kid friendly places to eat in London I'd say The Gallery Cafe or Black Cat would be great bets, for something more central Mildred's might maybe work although they don't take reservations and get pretty busy. Or Tibits?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:31 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yayy can't wait! Free all the London dates!

Laughfrodisiac
www.thefriendliestflour.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't been to Kew for ages, so if you do decide to go I'd love to join you! The weather doesn't even have to be nice, there are lots of wonderful greenhouses and other indoorsy things from what I remember.

I can't remember what I booked off but I'm pretty sure it was all the days around Christmas, so any time from 20th should be fine. If I book in advance I can get to London for super-cheap by coach, so count me in for anything in London, really.

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:52 pm 
And you never will.

Yay! I can't wait!! Maybe we should plan a general meet-up on Sunday the 21st? I mean, I'll hang out with you guys all day every day if you want, but if there's one day everyone wants to get together would that work?

And I only just realized that my topic title got truncated so it looks like I'll be all of those places next Monday. Hahaaaaa oops.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The best places in York for Vegans are El Piano which is all vegan & gluten free or Gojis which is veggie but definitely have good vegan cake!!
http://www.el-piano.com/
http://www.gojicafe.co.uk/
I have only ever got take out from Gojis but I think the food maybe more family friendly than the El piano.
There is also Pizza Express who, I think now actually do a vegan pizza, but they certainly do pizza without cheese & understand food allergies & take people being vegan in their stride. However the only sweet that is vegan is a sorbet although they do regularly change their menu & I haven't been for a long time.
I hope you have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm 

Chickpea's right, Pizza Express do have a vegan pizza on the menu! It doesn't have cheese but you can take your own (new & sealed) vegan cheese which is great because you can pretty much have a VioLife pizza cheese pizza anywhere!

poopieb a meet up on the 21st would be great if it works for everyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

jojo wrote:
poopieb a meet up on the 21st would be great if it works for everyone else?

i might be able to swing that! i'll let you all know for sure closer to the date.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:39 pm 
And you never will.

Ooooh, thank you for the recommendations for where to eat in York! We will be there for 3-4 meals, so we'll probably try to get as much as we can cheaply at the shops, but I know we'll want to eat at least one meal out. Goji Cafe or Pizza Express sound like they will probably be our best fit! And thanks for the tip about taking our own cheese jojo - it looks like there is a place in Birmingham that sells VioLife so I'll try to stop in while we're there to get some for the rest of our stay.

I will check out the products threads, but if anyone has suggestions for amazing vegan stuff I should try and/or bring back while I'm over, feel free! I had never even heard of VioLife before just now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 am 
Chip Strong

I should be free on the 21st, if I wouldn't be crashing!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 am 
And you never will.

Not at all! The more the merrier and all that! Weeeee!!! (sorry, it's 2am here and I'm still up baking. hello.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:00 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hi! Yay! :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:22 pm 
Chip Strong

Eek! That's not a time I've seen in a long while. But.... weeee! Yay!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:24 pm 
And you never will.

I didn't go to bed until 7am! Then I got up at 8am! I promise I will sleep before the meet-up so I am at least slightly more coherent than I am right now. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

poopiebitch wrote:
Ooooh, thank you for the recommendations for where to eat in York! We will be there for 3-4 meals, so we'll probably try to get as much as we can cheaply at the shops, but I know we'll want to eat at least one meal out. Goji Cafe or Pizza Express sound like they will probably be our best fit! And thanks for the tip about taking our own cheese jojo - it looks like there is a place in Birmingham that sells VioLife so I'll try to stop in while we're there to get some for the rest of our stay.

I will check out the products threads, but if anyone has suggestions for amazing vegan stuff I should try and/or bring back while I'm over, feel free! I had never even heard of VioLife before just now.

El Piano does awesome hot chocolate! It's worth visiting just for that!!
It can get VERY busy in York so it is worth booking if you are wanting an evening meal.
Pizza Express often have discount vouchers so its worth googling to see if you can find some before you go as it can save you quite a lot!
There are two health food shops in York that you can pick up snacks but if I'm trying to eat cheap I often pop into the supermarket (there is a Morrisons supermarket on Coney Street now which is one of the cheaper supermarkets) and get a pot of hummus, some cherry tomatoes and some crusty bread.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/
http://www.tullivers.co.uk/
York is so lovely at Christmas time but it can be really busy.
I hope you have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 pm 

I realised I have super long standing plans at 6pm on the 21st! So silly, this thing happens every year on the 21st but I always remember it as being a weekday! Days move! Anyway I can still do a Sunday brunch / lunch meetup I just need to be heading home by 4. If I find somewhere to sleep I may come up on the Saturday if anyone wants to do fun lunch / dinner / Christmassy stuff that day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:13 pm 
And you never will.

Brunch/lunch sounds good to me! And if you come up on Saturday then we'll hang out with you then, too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:06 pm 
And you never will.

It's getting closer!

I meant to say sooner: if anyone wants goodies from the US then let me know! I plan to have some space in my bag to take things back, so I may as well fill it with stuff for you guys! I have no idea what you might want that I can get, but if there is something then please say! I can easily get things like Dandies, EB Mac & Cheese and Cheesy Crackers, Go Max Go bars, Swedish Fish, Primal Strips, Clif bars and Lara bars, stuff like agar powder and vital wheat gluten, liquid smoke, Vegg yolk powder, South American ingredients, Biscoff spread, Better than Bouillon no-chicken or no-beef, other stuff I can't think of right now. I will probably be going long periods without refrigeration so probably best to stick with shelf-stable stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would love to try the cheesy crackers if you're sure you'd have room and it's not going to be a hassle?

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:21 pm 
And you never will.

No hassle!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:37 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

would it be too obnoxious to ask if i could place a small order from Sweet & Sara and/or Lagusta's and have them send it to your address?

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:20 pm 
And you never will.

As long as it doesn't take up too much space then I think that would be okay!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

BRING ME A BICYCLE, CLOWN!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:07 pm 
And you never will.

RandiJM wrote:
BRING ME A BICYCLE, CLOWN!

<3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:14 pm 
And you never will.

Okay, we're getting down to a few days before I leave, so if anyone has any requests for stuff from the US now is the time to ask! I have dropscone's cheesy crackers, some Vegg yolk mix for Randi, as well as some little bottles of Just Mayo (regular, chipotle, and garlic) and a few Go Max Go candy bars. My US friends have requested a ton of stuff for me to bring back, so I may as well make use of the space on the way over - don't be shy!