| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK animal charities
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm driving myself a bit crazy trying to decide which charities to donate to, so I wondered if anyone would be willing to share which ones they've chosen in the past - or share how they decided and evaluated animal charities if the former is too personal!

So far Animal Aid is on my list, as is Dog's Trust.

Post subject: Re: UK animal charities
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've volunteered for animal charities in Ireland. After my experience I would never donate money to any animal charity again. The only donation I would make is food. Not sure what uk charities are like though but do your research first.... Do they publish their income and expenditure and breakdown of costs every year? Do they spay and neuter all animals? Do they use single kennels with only one dog per kennel? (If they double up run!) have they listed their committee somewhere and is committee selection through a voting process from the volunteers?

I only say this because corruption is rife over here with them. Money spent more on premises and non care needs, fighting and bickering between rescues, animals homed in poor health, inadequate home checking, lax approach to neutering spaying, giving dogs away for free, sending dogs to homes that will use them for lamping or any other illegal hunting.

If a rescue/animal charity is centred around one or two people running it then avoid like the plague. They start out meaning well but in the end it becomes about money and popularity not about doing the dogs any good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

http://www.towerhillstables.com

It's run by vegan runner Fiona Oakes. She is struggling to pay the feed bills every month. Her retired mum has even had to go back to work to help bring in more money. She has around 400 animals and it costs about £10,000 per month to run. She also runs races to raise the profile of veganism and highlight animal cruelty. Personally, I think it's really important to support small charities who don't have the money or staff to do lots of promotion/advertising. I've never met Fiona but I've sponsored animals for people and helped fundraise and she seems so lovely and desperate to create a safe place for animals. Everyone I know who has met her says how inspirational she is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I like to use Animal Aid's app which advises on charities and their animal testing/using policy (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/ne ... ts//3266//)

How about Dr Hadwen Trust? http://www.drhadwentrust.org/

It is tricky with rescues because it's difficult to know their policies and practices sometimes :/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:05 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks all, for the suggestions - I'm always wary about local charities just in case, but I like how the Tower Hill Sanctuary has a wishlist so at least I know they're going to get things they actually need - very handy!