| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nottingham
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'll be in Nottingham for a few days (Thursday-Sunday) towards the end of June, and would love some suggestions for what to do/see/eat while I'm there! I'll be at a conference during the daytimes (except for one afternoon) but free in the evenings.

Suggestions please :)

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Nottingham
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem! It's become more touristy over the past ten years or so, but it's still well worth a visit; if you go, you have to play the ring game!

http://www.triptojerusalem.com

See also Ye Olde Salutation and the Bell.

http://www.salutationpub.com

http://www.bellinnnottingham.co.uk

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Annie's Burger Shack! Best freaking burger I've ever eaten in my life, pregan or vegan. All (or nearly all) of the burgers on the menu have a vegan version. It's now located within the Navigation pub.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Definitely yes to Annie's. It's brilliant. Aubergine is pretty good in the evening these days. http://www.aubergine-cuisine.co.uk/ It's still comfort food like but it's evolved a lot since its previous owners and is definitely worth a try. You'd probably need to book; it's been busy the last few times I've been. There's a decent Chinese supermarket http://www.orientalmart.co.uk/2013/en/ if you need to stock up on anything. Delilahs is a lovely deli which isn't especially vegan friendly but I have picked up elusive liquid smoke there and you can get really nice teas and other bits and pieces there. http://www.delilahfinefoods.co.uk/
Some people like Alley Cafe. I had a really bad experience there and probably wouldn't dash back but it's there. If you like South Indian food Kayal isn't vegetarian but has good options and the waiters are knowledgeable.
Where will you be staying?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've put out an open request on couchsurfing but it's still quite far in advance to send out specific ones, so not sure yet. I'm there for the FWSA conference so will be staying 3 nights.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:08 am 

If you need to book a hotel I've had good luck getting cheap deals at the Jurys Inn. It's right near the station and very close to Annie's. It's nothing special but clean and they have soya milk, toast, hash browns and beans for breakfast, which suits me fine. I think I usually get the best price on Last Minute.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:08 am 
Impressive boner

I recommend the fry up at the Alley Cafe, anything from Annie's Burger Shack (she usually has a vegan dessert option, like donuts or brownies) and the thali or the masala dosa from Kayal. Close to Kayal there is Thailand No 1 which serves good tofu and seitan dishes. If you fancy something sweet The Natural Food Company (Mansfield Road, close to House of Frazer. Opposite a pub called The Rose of England) has some lovely vegan cakes, flapjacks etc. Tamatanga, near to the Royal Centre theatre, does a meal-and-drink deal if you eat before 6pm and has some vegan options. I think the pop-up kitchen at The Old Angel might be open again, they always have a vegan option.

If you'd like to check out the city's listings for evening entertainment try http://www.leftlion.co.uk/listings.cfm. There are usually interesting exhibitions on at The Contemporary art gallery and often gigs are put on in their basement bar. Interesting live music is on at The Old Angel, Jam Cafe and the Bodega. Broadway Cinema has a mix of films on and their bar is good. If you fancy a cup of tea, Lee Rosy's across the road from Broadway has a lovely selection, plus delicious hummus and chutney sandwiches, and a really relaxed atmosphere.

Oriental Mart is good but I think that the new Asiana Express further down the main road through Hockley is brilliant. There's also Murat Food Centre all the way down on Sneinton Market, which sells lovely bread, big tubs of good hummus and buckets of tahini.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Has anyone been to the Flying Goose Cafe in Beeston? Wasn't there when last I was, says it's a vegetarian and vegan cafe: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flying-G ... 1734090964

I think most of the options close to the university have closed down since I was there years ago (and new ones popped up apparently).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm 

8ball wrote:
I recommend the fry up at the Alley Cafe, anything from Annie's Burger Shack (she usually has a vegan dessert option, like donuts or brownies) and the thali or the masala dosa from Kayal. Close to Kayal there is Thailand No 1 which serves good tofu and seitan dishes. If you fancy something sweet The Natural Food Company (Mansfield Road, close to House of Frazer. Opposite a pub called The Rose of England) has some lovely vegan cakes, flapjacks etc. Tamatanga, near to the Royal Centre theatre, does a meal-and-drink deal if you eat before 6pm and has some vegan options. I think the pop-up kitchen at The Old Angel might be open again, they always have a vegan option.

If you'd like to check out the city's listings for evening entertainment try http://www.leftlion.co.uk/listings.cfm. There are usually interesting exhibitions on at The Contemporary art gallery and often gigs are put on in their basement bar. Interesting live music is on at The Old Angel, Jam Cafe and the Bodega. Broadway Cinema has a mix of films on and their bar is good. If you fancy a cup of tea, Lee Rosy's across the road from Broadway has a lovely selection, plus delicious hummus and chutney sandwiches, and a really relaxed atmosphere.

Oriental Mart is good but I think that the new Asiana Express further down the main road through Hockley is brilliant. There's also Murat Food Centre all the way down on Sneinton Market, which sells lovely bread, big tubs of good hummus and buckets of tahini.

Ooh, looking forward to visiting that new Asiana Express. I have never been bothered to go to Sneinton market yet but I need to.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm 
Impressive boner

Asiana Express has a bubble tea bar. Not sure if it's vegan friendly though.

Sneinton Market is only about 5 mins walk down the hill from Oriental Mart. I've heard people raving about the food market there on a Saturday morning but I've not been to it yet.

Murat Food Centre sells KTC coconut oil really cheap, less than £5 for 500ml of it, and it doesn't taste of coconuts so it's good to use in cashew cheeze recipes.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:06 am 
Impressive boner

Red Hot buffet on Trinity Square seems to be ok too. I had some decent curry there yesterday and their menu says they serve bean curd. It's on Trinity Square, next to Tamatanga at the back of the Cornerhouse.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for all the tips :)

In the end I went to Ye Olde Salutation and went down into the caves which was amazing! I popped into Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem too as it was so nearby.

Annie's Burger Shack was so awesome! I never thought I'd eat a vegan burger like that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 am 

Which one did you get? I've never had a bad one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got the hawaiian burger, which was a vegan burger, vegan bacon, vegan cheese and pineapple in a bun with curly fries. I really love pineapple anyway, but I was really impressed by the bacon and cheese too :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:03 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Speaking of Nottingham (I'm too lazy to start a new thread) are there any PPKers who are members of the Vegan Nottingham Meet-up Group? I'd like to meet more vegans IRL, but I'm kinda shy and am not sure I'm ready to jump into an established group.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm 
Impressive boner

I get email alerts from the group when dinners are being scheduled but I've never gone to one because I'm shy and awkward around new people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:57 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My partner's dad lives in Nottingham and when we visit he tries to take us somewhere vegan friendly. He was telling us about a new veggie cafe that opened a few months ago that was supposed to be good but I can't remember the name. It was in the centre somewhere though. He's also taken us to a new Tapas place that has lots of vegan options marked on the menu which was really good. I've also been to the Alley Cafe and had a really good experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:05 pm 
Impressive boner

Could it be Govinda's?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

8ball wrote:
I get email alerts from the group when dinners are being scheduled but I've never gone to one because I'm shy and awkward around new people.

Ditto :) (I also get blathery)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

8ball wrote:
Could it be Govinda's?

That looks like the one!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 am 
Impressive boner

I've heard that it's really good apart from on one day of the week, when they have a part-time chef who can't cook and the food is really bland. I don't know which day it is yet but I'll update once I get told.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]