| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese food - bean curd
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I got all this stuff in Chinatown today. I've had the seaweed chips before they taste a little fishy at first and then get addicting. The fried tofu over to the right in the picture is really good in cut up in little pieces into your own home made ramen noodle or any noodle soup. The rest of the stuff I haven't tried - vegetarian five spice rolled bean curd skin (what do I make with this?), canned friend gluten, the other things are like beef jerky but are bean curd jerky and noodle hot/sour sauce. Any preparation ideas are welcome.

Ok sorry have no idea how to post an image.

Post subject: Re: Chinese food - bean curd
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Obviously not picture to look at yet . . . but I love tofu skin - you can make something like inari pockets (filled with rice) or tofu purses (filled with some sort of bean pate) with that. I'm put off buying tofu from places as I think they are probably all made with GM soya beans.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:59 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've made this http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 ... ecipe.html with bean curd sticks before - not sure if yours would work if they're already 5-spiced.

For the canned gluten, I give it a rinse under the tap, a bit of a squeeze, and either stir-fry it straight away (remove from wok then stirfry veg, add sauces and add gluten back in) or coat with seasoned cornflour (cornstarch?) and fry - great in a pita with salad.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm not sure if you are refering to the thin layers of dried bean curd formed into a stick, but if you are: I usually turn mine into vegan bacon. Throw it in some water flavored with sweet soy, liquid smoke and whatever else you usually add to your fakon mixes, leave it overnight and the next day fry the heck out of it in lots of oil or dairy free butter. Add it on burgers or your breakfast plate.